@LinusTech Twitter Account Hacked

SuperBailey
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

The compromised accounts - including Twitter - have been restored.

I hope this clears things up.

Linus

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

And what is that exactly? :P 

Between 1:00 (PDT) and 5:30 (NDT)

1 minute ago, rm -rf said:

Between 1:00 (PDT) and 5:30 (NDT)

So not exactly specific... which is my point ;)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

16 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

It's 2 AM here :D 

lol it's 4pm for me.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

30 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

pardon?

The ltt mantra,
do as we say, not as we do.

The amount of times that has been the quote on the start of a vid kinda sinks in :P

EDI: <i7 4970k, Corsair h110, 8gb avexir 2133 DDR3, ASUS Z97-AR, EVGA GTX980, Kingston Hyper x 128gh boot drive, 1.5tb of random mass storage drives> 
Peripherals: <RAZER Naga epic, Corsair K95/RAZER Deathstalker Ultimate>
Laptop(Leigon): MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4k
Phones: <One Plus X, Sony Xperia Z, Moto X(2013) Huawei Nexus 6P

31 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So not exactly specific... which is my point ;)

But all of them still fit with what I'd said.

21 minutes ago, Almighty_Spoon said:

The ltt mantra,
do as we say, not as we do.

The amount of times that has been the quote on the start of a vid kinda sinks in :P

Oh yeah xD

Though what was the relevance of that?

But all of them still fit with what I'd said.

well idk about you but I don't like to get up at 1 AM :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well idk about you but I don't like to get up at 1 AM :P

I definitely don't either....................................

Oh yeah xD

Though what was the relevance of that?

Yeah this was 0% LTT or Linus' fault.  As he said, they did take all the proper precautions like 2 factor where available, etc.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah this was 0% LTT or Linus' fault.  As he said, they did take all the proper precautions like 2 factor where available, etc.

Though I have found some flaws in a different part of Linus' online presence, and I've contacted them in order to report it.

I slept through this, that was crazy. Sounds like 3rd party going to learn today errr, yesterday. HAVE A GOOD WEEK @LinusTech

3 hours ago, thedarkdad3 said:

Just curious....out of this thread how many of you are actually Security Engineers and do this for a living and actually are certified or have gone to school .

nice signature resume you got there.... 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

9 hours ago, thedarkdad3 said:

You realize encryption can be broken and deciphered.  Hell Let @LinusTech pay me and my firm $30,000k and we will do it within a month. I somehow doubt he wants to get rekt again. hahaha

MD5, sure, that's easy. Go ahead and break something hashed with bcrypt. Lets see you compromise OpenVPN - even the NSA can't do it and they are a way bigger company than your company and your $30,000k.

If you were as good at security as you think you are, you would know how prevalent social engineering is these days, and how basically anyone posting any personal information on the internet, regardless of how private it may seem at first, is vulnerable. Even you are vulnerable. 

You are not impressing anyone here.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x | ASUS RTX 4070 TUF 12GB GDDR6X | 32GB DDR4 CL22 3200MHz ECC | WD Black SN770 2TB SSD | 6x6TB WD Red Pro | Ubuntu 22.04

These "Hacker" Kids seriously need to be stopped before their Egos get so big and out of control they burst

The Hackers could have used their skills to shut down bad websites/social media accounts, instead of ruining for innocent Youtubers that a lot of people like watching.

You may get less famous for it, but it is in a good way, instead of a bad way.

People that are the serial killers of hacking, in the way that they dont care if most people hate them or not, they just want attention, they dont care if it is in a good or bad way.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I hope at some point LMG will give us more information on what happened, or about the how, so that other people can find some good advice to better choose a 3rd party service. As far as I have understood, LMG is not directly responsible for the breach (last time I checked, they did not offer DNS services), what happened made me think of an interesting article I read some time ago about a similar matter, where GoDaddy was involved. Check it out.

https://medium.com/@N/how-i-lost-my-50-000-twitter-username-24eb09e026dd#.56167b66c

2 minutes ago, fulminemizzega said:

I hope at some point LMG will give us more information on what happened, or about the how, so that other people can find some good advice to better choose a 3rd party service. As far as I have understood, LMG is not directly responsible for the breach (last time I checked, they did not offer DNS services), what happened made me think of an interesting article I read some time ago about a similar matter, where GoDaddy was involved. Check it out.

https://medium.com/@N/how-i-lost-my-50-000-twitter-username-24eb09e026dd#.56167b66c

I have a feeling that Google is the third party.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

I have a feeling that Google is the third party.

I don't think it's Google. Google, Dropbox, Facebook and a few other companies send emails to me as soon as one of my accounts have been signed in to (even from devices I sign into frequently), and sometimes even send a text message to my phone.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

4 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Everyone really needs to stop speculating about who the 3rd party is.

It does nothing but spread FUD.

Yes, thank you :D

10 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Speculation has limited (or even potentially negative) value, and LMG will be the ones to release additional details as they see fit.

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Everyone really needs to stop speculating about who the 3rd party is.

It does nothing but spread FUD.

This is the internet. What you said will now be speculated into a confirmation of Half-Life 3.

2 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

Act like nothing happened on the WAN show

That would actually be hilarious.  Like just be completely deadpan about it and pretend it's a totally normal show xD 

Hacking is one of the most intriguing, yet oblivious methods available for public knowledge. If the public cant learn how to do it, how do public hackers learn to?

Groomlake Authority