@LinusTech Twitter Account Hacked

SuperBailey
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

The compromised accounts - including Twitter - have been restored.

I hope this clears things up.

Linus

1 minute ago, rm -rf said:

LCT is the best channel ever xD

YvonneRipEmANewOneTips xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

YREANOT, I could see that becoming a thing xD

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hope poodlecorp goes suck a dick,im so annoyed with him,google should just fucking find him and his "Illegal group" and put them in solitary confinement

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

2 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Hope poodlecorp goes suck a dick,im so annoyed with him,google should just fucking find him and his "Illegal group" and put them in solitary confinement

Well I don't think Google has authority to imprison people but... I wouldn't complain in this case xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well I don't think Google has authority to imprison people but... I wouldn't complain in this case xD 

Hacking is illegal and they are hacking more than just one channel or a site they are making youtube shitty and its pissing everyone off + they are noob hackers all they know is to hack a password to a youtube account everyone can do that who wants to learn how to,at least if they dont wanna find them they should AT LEAST make better protection....

4 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Hacking is illegal and they are hacking more than just one channel or a site they are making youtube shitty and its pissing everyone off + they are noob hackers all they know is to hack a password to a youtube account everyone can do that who wants to learn how to,at least if they dont wanna find them they should AT LEAST make better protection....

No doubt they've broken many laws, but they'll have to be arrested and charged by an actual government.  Google can't act as judge jury and executioner

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Every time they search something on google for the rest of their lives, it pulls out a donkey penis picture.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

No doubt they've broken many laws, but they'll have to be arrested and charged by an actual government.  Google can't act as judge jury and executioner

But google should find where they live there names and them sue them for all that they have done...

1 minute ago, The Realist said:

But google should find where they live there names and them sue them for all that they have done...

That just wouldn't happen.  But if the authorities need assistance perhaps Google would lend them a hand.

Why google for this one?

Linus was the only victim for this.

@KuJoe Huh that kinda sucks. I've only got like a year and half until I graduate HS. Not really sure what I want to do post HS. 
Thinking to maybe do an Associates in Generals at a local community or technical college and then decide where to go after those two years.

Don't really want to waste a boatload of money on a degree that might serve me no purpose. Going with a Associates in Generals, I'd think would leave there to be some options for furthering one's higher education.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Darnit, I wanted to see some 16th or 17th century punishment dealt to them. Not some pathetic trial at some county or state court.

Edit: Looking at some typical punishments by the centuries. The 15th century seems to be more "interesting" than 16th century punishments.

Edited by wcreek
The difference 100 years can make.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That just wouldn't happen.  But if the authorities need assistance perhaps Google would lend them a hand.

you think the authorities give a fuck? nah the only thing they care is UK leaving the EU,Tonald Drump and how to make a thicker and more secure wall for there gold fucking vault "They have money for war but cant feed the poor - Tupac"

you think the authorities give a fuck? nah the only thing they care is UK leaving the EU,Tonald Drump and how to make a thicker and more secure wall for there gold fucking vault "They have money for war but cant feed the poor - Tupac"

Um... no.

UK leaving the EU is extremely significant.

And the wall isn't to secure a gold vault.

The authorities would care.

5 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

Why google for this one?

Linus was the only victim for this.

Only Linus? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA 

-Boggie

-Watch Mojo

-Linus Tech Tips

-IISuperwomanII

-Redmercy

-They fucking hacked League of Legends (US) and took it offline

-and they are going to keep going until they get caught

3 minutes ago, The Realist said:

If Linus files an actual police report over the hacking/identity theft/etc. then there will actually be police on an actual case actually looking to arrest an actual person.

Edit: Nothing to see here. Moving on

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Only Linus? HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA 

-Boggie

-Watch Mojo

-Linus Tech Tips

-IISuperwomanII

-Redmercy

-They fucking hacked League of Legends (US) and took it offline

-and they are going to keep going until they get caught

I know that these other events occurred, and I probably should have taken that into consideration with my comment. Though I was only talking about this specific incident.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If Linus files an actual police report over the hacking/identity theft/etc. then there will actually be police on an actual case actually looking to arrest an actual person.

@linustech "you should" file a police report.

1 minute ago, rm -rf said:

I know that these other events occurred, and I probably should have taken that into consideration with my comment. Though I was only talking about this specific incident.

Do we know if these instances are all the same person or not?

Do we know if these instances are all the same person or not?

We know that the same group has taken responsibility.

Can Canadian Police do anything about potential criminal(s) somewhere in the US? I suppose maybe they could contact the jurisdiction in the US that the suspect lives in. Maybe it'd be transferred to a federal level though?

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

Can Canadian Police do anything about potential criminal(s) somewhere in the US? I suppose maybe they could contact the jurisdiction in the US that the suspect lives in. Maybe it'd be transferred to a federal level though?

It's a multinational thing, interpol may get involved:

http://www.interpol.int/Crime-areas/Cybercrime/Cybercrime

3 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

Um... no.

UK leaving the EU is extremely significant.

And the wall isn't to secure a gold vault.

The authorities would care.

The only thing the authorities would care is about Anonymous,Solo,Astra etc... + im rooting for people to hack NASA or the PENTAGON and expose them since they are hiding so much from the human race that should be known...

6 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Well we directly wouldn't have any authority down there, just as they wouldn't have any here, but I would assume that cooperation could and would take place, and surely it has in the past.

I should add that it's possible that won't be necessary.  For all we know the person responsible could be within Canada.

The only thing the authorities would care is about Anonymous,Solo,Astra etc... + im rooting for people to hack NASA or the PENTAGON and expose them since they are hiding so much from the human race that should be known...

It may be big enough for interpol