@LinusTech Twitter Account Hacked

SuperBailey
Go to solution Solved by LinusTech,

On June 28, 2016 the Linus Media Group domain registrar account was compromised.

The exact methodology of the "hack" won't be disclosed for obvious reasons, but I can assure you that despite any claims to the contrary, the appropriate safeguards were in place on our side, and as I type this Yvonne is having a very heated phone discussion with the 3rd party responsible for the breach.

Anyway, the thing most of you are probably wondering about right now is what this means for your forum account or personal information, and the answer is very simple:

NOTHING.

The "hacker" simply changed the DNS settings in the dashboard and did not at any time have access to the linustechtips.com server. Any claims of a database dump are categorically false.

The compromised accounts - including Twitter - have been restored.

I hope this clears things up.

Linus

2 minutes ago, rm -rf said:

It may be big enough for interpol

This by itself?  I doubt it actually...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

This by itself?  I doubt it actually...

I doubt it to,i mean hacking youtube channels and twitter accounts for Interpol,but who knows what they do next...Also has anybody heard anything from Anonymous or is Anon inactive?

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

2 minutes ago, The Realist said:

I doubt it to,i mean hacking youtube channels and twitter accounts for Interpol,but who knows what they do next...Also has anybody heard anything from Anonymous or is Anon inactive?

They're still active, they're currently doing project Harambe

54 minutes ago, thedarkdad3 said:

Just curious....out of this thread how many of you are actually Security Engineers and do this for a living and actually are certified or have gone to school .

The way you have been commenting in this thread would not only make me not hire 'your firm' I would actively make sure if anyone asked me about such matters as to tell them to avoid yours.

If you knew anything about the security field and such legal matters surrounding it you would know that Linus Media Group could not disclose any specific details as this could directly impact any proceeding legal matters, which you have asked for. From what I have observed I can in no way come to the conclusion you have any real significant role in the security field, I'm not saying you don't but you should be wary of the way you act in the public space. Bold claims and profile signatures mean nothing.

You would also know that most security breaches come from social engineering now days and an increasing portion of these are at no fault of the victim yet you seem to be very critical of this matter and point all blame towards someone without full knowledge of the situation, in my view unprofessional.

These are solely my personal views and comments on the matter.

3 minutes ago, The Realist said:

They're also working on stopping the sex trade in Iraq.

They're also working on stopping the sex trade in Iraq.

I can't say I agree with anyone hacking for any reason (excluding the definition that covers messing with your own property of course) but better to be trying to prevent crimes than committing them I suppose...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Do we know if these instances are all the same person or not?

Well at least with WatchMojo, the person(s) who breached their yt account claimed to be PoodleCorp.

Of course a lonewolf could claim to be the real deal and the real deal doesn't make any indication that they had anything to do with what the lonewolf did. Though I suppose if the lonewolf does something that real deal likes, I could see the real deal taking responsibility for someone who originally had nothing to do with them.

It's a multinational thing, interpol may get involved:

http://www.interpol.int/Crime-areas/Cybercrime/Cybercrime

Interesting, but I suppose if it's more than just Canadians and Americans being affected, yeah an international entity could be involved.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well we directly wouldn't have any authority down there, just as they wouldn't have any here, but I would assume that cooperation could and would take place, and surely it has in the past.

Well yeah, but say Linus files a report somewhere in BC, they're able to figure out who done it and what city/state that/those person(s) live in. Couldn't they contact the PD of that city or that state's criminal apprehension bureau and forward them the information they gathered and that local/state could do their own investigation too.

Or like @rm -rf said Interpol could be involved if there is any legal action taken against them. (Which rightfully should be taken) I'd think that being hacked/breached could damage one's reputation even if they had absolutely no way of preventing the breach.

I don't think that the breach of Linus's twitter, LMG's website or LTT's Forum is big enough to warrant Interpol. But the breach of many people's twitter and yt channels could possibly be enough for the Interpol to get involved.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

7 minutes ago, The Realist said:

The majority of what Anonymous does would be defined as good by most people.

Man, this guy also hacked a lot of other Youtubers and their twitters.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Sooo...

'Do as we say, not as we do...'

Right?

EDI: <i7 4970k, Corsair h110, 8gb avexir 2133 DDR3, ASUS Z97-AR, EVGA GTX980, Kingston Hyper x 128gh boot drive, 1.5tb of random mass storage drives> 
Peripherals: <RAZER Naga epic, Corsair K95/RAZER Deathstalker Ultimate>
Laptop(Leigon): MSI GS60 Ghost Pro 4k
Phones: <One Plus X, Sony Xperia Z, Moto X(2013) Huawei Nexus 6P

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Well at least with WatchMojo, the person(s) who breached their yt account claimed to be PoodleCorp.

Of course a lonewolf could claim to be the real deal and the real deal doesn't make any indication that they had anything to do with what the lonewolf did. Though I suppose if the lonewolf does something that real deal likes, I could see the real deal taking responsibility for someone who originally had nothing to do with them.

Interesting, but I suppose if it's more than just Canadians and Americans being affected, yeah an international entity could be involved.

Well yeah, but say Linus files a report somewhere in BC, they're able to figure out who done it and what city/state that/those person(s) live in. Couldn't they contact the PD of that city or that state's criminal apprehension bureau and forward them the information they gathered and that local/state could do their own investigation too.

Or like @rm -rf said Interpol could be involved if there is any legal action taken against them. (Which rightfully should be taken) I'd think that being hacked/breached could damage one's reputation even if they had absolutely no way of preventing the breach.

I don't think that the breach of Linus's twitter, LMG's website or LTT's Forum is big enough to warrant Interpol. But the breach of many people's twitter and yt channels could possibly be enough for the Interpol to get involved.

Interpol is the conduit for different country's PD working together.

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

Man, this guy also hacked a lot of other Youtubers and their twitters.

Again, I don't think we actually have any proof of if this specific person has affected others.  It's a group name, and that could be used many ways, either by different people in the group, or even by a "random" claiming their name for some reason, etc.

2 minutes ago, Almighty_Spoon said:

Sooo...

'Do as we say, not as we do...'

Right?

pardon?

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Again, I don't think we actually have any proof of if this specific person has affected others.  It's a group name, and that could be used many ways, either by different people in the group, or even by a "random" claiming their name for some reason, etc.

I just meant same "username" has done the same damage to many others this month, group or not.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Though the @poodlecorp twitter has taken responsibility. Though it may be similar to ISIS where they take credit for lone wolf attacks.

5 minutes ago, wcreek said:

I think that's about as far as it's worth taking this discussion though.  Speculation has limited (or even potentially negative) value, and LMG will be the ones to release additional details as they see fit.

True going with the lonewolf clause that it could be individuals, falsely claiming direct (or maybe even indirect) affiliation to those black hat hacking groups.

Whether or not those groups coordinate their attacks or are loosely organized where attacks are just random. But it could be one person posing to be many. 

True going with the lonewolf clause that it could be individuals, falsely claiming direct (or maybe even indirect) affiliation to those black hat hacking groups.

Whether or not those groups coordinate their attacks or are loosely organized where attacks are just random. But it could be one person posing to be many. 

Like anonymous which is just label and not really a group, though atleast they were honest about it.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think that's about as far as it's worth taking this discussion though.  Speculation has limited (or even potentially negative) value, and LMG will be the ones to release additional details as they see fit.

Though this discussion has evolved to more than that, it has moved into the realm of ethics and policing. It is no longer about speculation.

1 minute ago, rm -rf said:

Though this discussion has evolved to more than that, it has moved into the realm of ethics and policing. It is no longer about speculation.

Well you can all go on but I think I've said all that I want/need to :P

Well you can all go on but I think I've said all that I want/need to :P

Okay, thanks for your assistance.

Enjoy your Morning. (What's morning?)

Okay, thanks for your assistance.

Enjoy your Morning. (What's morning?)

It's 2 AM here :D 

Like anonymous which is just label and not really a group, though atleast they were honest about it.

Very true. Anon is a group, there's no doubt in my mind that it's more than a single person behind the scenes and that it's many people, loosely but collectively working together to achieve a similar or same goal. But PoodleCorp and LizardSquad could be very well one person or a small to medium group of people working in a similar manner to Anon but maybe with less coordination than anon.

It's 2am here too (well closer to 3 but little details.)

I looked up the time in Canada just for that message xD

I looked up the time in Canada just for that message xD

And what is that exactly? :P