An analogy. Buying a 1080 is like buying a muscle or tuner car with a sealed engine compartment.

Arct1c0n

Works pretty fast as is. You can swap the tires, tweak the shocks and redo the transmission, but the thing ain't going much faster no matter what else you do to it.

Edit: For fucks sake people,  I'm drawing a basic analogy and comparison here in regards to the lack of the "option" to make a car/GPU go faster were it's most critical, the engine/GPU core,  don't overthink or analyze it

1 minute ago, Arct1c0n said:

Works pretty fast as is. You can swap the tires, tweak the shocks and redo the transmission, but the thing ain't going much faster no matter what else you do to it.

Everyone knows that adding a stick on spoiler and body kit adds at least 150 horsepower.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2 minutes ago, Arct1c0n said:

Road course or drag strip?  Tires, shocks and transmission can all have drastic performance impacts on a car so I'm not sure this is the best analogy... :P

5 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Anybody can go fast in a straight line.

Few people can go fast around twisty windy corners.

Not everybody can launch equally, but I know what you  are saying.

It's pretty easy to wreck a rear wheel drive car with gobs of horsepower off the line.  And any car with tons of horsepower and no stability control will give you white knuckles trying to rein it in wide open throttle in a straight line.

18 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Anybody can go fast in a straight line.

Few people can go fast around twisty windy corners.

Tell that to drunk people.

Nitrous?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Anyone that's ever modified a car to have far more horsepower than it was designed to, especially without upgrading the suspension components, knows that full throttle in a straight line can be scary and hazardous.

Nitrous would do it too, until a rod lets go or you fuse a piston to the block!  Nitrous would be equivalent to LN2.

42 minutes ago, App4that said:

It overclocks pretty good. My guess is it hit's 2.3Ghz once the better boards hit the market.

You know the 1.25v thing has nothing to do with the PCB, if that is what you are referring to.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I haven't followed the subject too closely, but why's the GTX 1080 voltage locked, and can AIBs produce 1080s that aren't voltage-locked?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

wait wut?

i thought to make your pc faster, just add more lights

everyone knows that the more your pc glows, the more powerful it is

There is no such thing as a bad PC, there are only BETTER PCs

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

You know the 1.25v thing has nothing to do with the PCB, if that is what you are referring to.

Yeah, and I've seen MSI Afterburner with a full 100mv for the 1080 and 1070 on plain Jane cards. That might effect world records but it's looking less and less like it will bother us.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 hour ago, Delicieuxz said:

I haven't followed the subject too closely, but why's the GTX 1080 voltage locked, and can AIBs produce 1080s that aren't voltage-locked?

Because apparently its built into the silicon on the Pascall GPU, no way around it via PCB design

18 minutes ago, App4that said:

Yeah, and I've seen MSI Afterburner with a full 100mv for the 1080 and 1070 on plain Jane cards. That might effect world records but it's looking less and less like it will bother us.

Wrong, if the GPU is hard coded via the silicon *which it is* not to go above a certain voltage, no software is gonna override that

3 minutes ago, Arct1c0n said:

Wrong, if the GPU is hard coded via the silicon *which it is* not to go above a certain voltage, no software is gonna override that

Um, didn't say it would go over 1.25v. I said the entry level cards go 100mv over stock. If you get enough voltage to liquid and air overclock the card to your hearts content, then losing LN2 overclocking is just a pain for those planning to. Not those of us who just want to play videogames.

Remember Videogame? They used to be what we did with graphics cards.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Its locked to 1.25V, that isn't going to be an issue for the watercoolers. The only people that effects is the liquid nitrogen guys. That just means Nvidia has passed on using this card in overclocking competitions, the Titan/980 ti will stay top of the performance charts for those competitions and the 1080 wont set a new record. Do we care? I certainly don't.

Its not like AMD's Fury and Fury X were amazing overclockers for all their lack of restrictions! The lack of restrictions is only any use if the card can actually overclock, and in the case of the 1080 it really can clock quite high, 2000-2100Mhz on the founders cards is pretty decent considering the awful power delivery system and PCB design. Once we see the AIBs I assume we'll see another 100Mhz or so.