EU wants every smartphone and tablet to charge by micro-USB

bambamloly

This is a discussion that has been going on for years over here. They aren't trying to get specificly micro USB on every phone, but they want to standardize the interface.

The people in charge of doing this have no idea why microUSB is crap. Trying to standardize everything is such a true stereotype of the EU...

My sister's phone has had a broken micro USB connector for the second time now, I don't know anyone who has used a phone with micro USB for longer than a year who hasn't had any issues with micro USB.

But imo it is no big deal: wireless charging is pretty much ready for everyone to use, so soon we won't need a cable to charge our phone, to sync it to your PCs we can use bluetooth, so in a few years we won't even need a connector on our phones at all.

But untill then, a standard would be awsome(a different one than micro USB mind you ;)) because you would never have the situation again where you are on a trip or something, you forgot you charging cable and all your friends have different connectors on their phones. Basicly the idea is good, but not the way they want to achieve it.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Mini USB > Micro USB

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

At first I thought the title was talking about Mini-USB, not micro :(

I have never had a micro-USB connector break on me, but they are rather delicate. Mini-USB would be way better, like the PS3 controllers :D

"The newer Micro-USB receptacles are designed for up to 10,000 cycles of insertion and removal between the receptacle and plug, compared to 1,500 for the standard USB and 5,000 for the Mini-USB receptacle." -Wikipedia

GG Linus

Funny thing is, most people complaining about micro usb here, dont have their own opinion and just blindly repeat what linus has said/believes.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Similar stuff has been tried before, the mini USB was pretty common, then a lot of tech companies decided to gather around one interface. They choose micro USB, I got mad, because the last one was better, and then it turned out to be mainly bull as far from all went with the new supposed "standard"

At least with this new suggestion, things won't change that much.

Never had problems with any connector besides VGA

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Why does everyone hate micro usb? I have never had any problems with it.

Because Linus doesn't like it, and a lot of people blindly follow what Linus says.

Personally I don't have anything against micro USB. Never had one break on me (not even my Samsung charger which is easily over 1000 plugs/unplugs now). I would be happy if all phones started using a single connector. Also:

Durability:

EIA 364-09: The object of this test procedure is to detail a uniform test method for determining the effects caused by subjecting a USB connector to the conditioning action of insertion and extraction, simulating the expected life of the connectors. Durability cycling with a gauge is intended only to produce mechanical stress. Durability performed with mating components is intended to produce both mechanical and wear stress.

1500 cycles

5000 cycles for Mini “B”

10,000 cycles for Micro series

10,000 cycles for ruggedized Standard “A”

Cycle rate of 500 cycles per hour if done automatically and 200 if manual cycle

Test Phase 1-3: Durability

EIA 364 Test: 09

Severity or Condition of Test:

1500 cycles
5000 cycles for Mini “B”
10,000 cycles for Micro series
10,000 cycles for ruggedized Standard “A”
Cycle rate of 500 cycles per hour max.

Common Requirement: No physical damage and shall meet requirements of subsequent tests.

Micro-USB is rated for twice as high durability as mini-USB. That's directly from USB.org. Linus' "source" is a RP guy from some random company without any proper documentation on the test (they haven't released the results to the public, or anything like that) that was simply trying to make their device look better than the competition. Some anecdotal evidence from Linus made him believe it.

I think it's funny how Linus is very quick to bash micro-USB because he have had 2-3 devices with it break, but all his Razer devices that have broken down in the past (seemed like he have had more Razer devices break than micro USB devices) he is very quick to defend and say it's not Razer's fault and so on. Biased? I think so.

Linus, you will use Micro-USB. NOOOOOOOO!!!!

Back from the dead....

please make apple switch to something non-proprietary.... please

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Because Linus doesn't like it, and a lot of people blindly follow what Linus says.

Personally I don't have anything against micro USB. Never had one break on me (not even my Samsung charger which is easily over 1000 plugs/unplugs now). I would be happy if all phones started using a single connector. Also:

Micro-USB is rated for twice as high durability as mini-USB. That's directly from USB.org. Linus' "source" is a RP guy from some random company without any proper documentation on the test (they haven't released the results to the public, or anything like that) that was simply trying to make their device look better than the competition. Some anecdotal evidence from Linus made him believe it.

I think it's funny how Linus is very quick to bash micro-USB because he have had 2-3 devices with it break, but all his Razer devices that have broken down in the past (seemed like he have had more Razer devices break than micro USB devices) he is very quick to defend and say it's not Razer's fault and so on. Biased? I think so.

To be fair, Razer allows him to put bread on the table unlike his viewers *cough adblock.

Some guy was really trying to push the Iphone5 connector in the comments but failed to provide any evidence of its "superiority" other than its fits in both ways. Both can carry a 2amp charge/video/data etc etc. The only difference as far as the data goes the the standard micro is usb 2.0 and to carry 3.0 it needs the extra add on. oh and it only fits one way.

I honestly wouldnt mind, my headset and mouse both use micro as does my phone and previous phone, never had an issue with any of them.

the iphone 5 connector cannot push video over the connector. 

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

NO MICRO USB DEGRADES SO QUICKLY

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

Focus on making more beautiful women!!!

Look whos talking...

As for the topic.

Im for this - same standard for all devices (apart Satan Corporation known as Apple). With phone thickness its easier to implement micro-USB rather then mini-USB.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

To be fair, Razer allows him to put bread on the table unlike his viewers *cough adblock.

If that has any effect on what Linus recommends then I am sorry, but don't trust anything he says about anyone who sponsors him. Hopefully that's not what is happening though, because talking better about manufacturer X because they give you money is called being a "shill" and it's a very bad thing.

One worldwide standard would be much better than an infinite (ie: non finite number, because we've seen companies change their standard each few years) number of different plugs.

Just think of the screws and screwdrivers, the mess it would be if each company manufactured their own screws and screwdrivers.

One worldwide standard would be much better than an infinite (ie: non finite number, because we've seen companies change their standard each few years) number of different plugs.

Just think of the screws and screwdrivers, the mess it would be if each company manufactured their own screws and screwdrivers.

Alternatively, think of the mess if every single thing manufactured could be disassembled using a single screwdriver. Or the mess if every single product was held together using only screws. Standardization is cool, but a single solution will never work for ALL problems, just most of them, which is why MOST phones do use Micro USB and if you have an issue with phones that don't then you personally can not buy them. Or if you have an issue with Micro USB, you can avoid it.

After about 18 months I'm starting to have problems with the microUSB on my phone, so my next phone will have some alternative way of charging, so I only have to use microUSB for data transfer... it's great to see that they want a standard for these devices, but I would have liked to see a better option... 

| Corsair Carbide 400Q | Intel Core i5 6600K | ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB |

| EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 SLI | Noctua NH-L9i | Corsair RM650X | HyperX Fury 240 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB |

Steam: zonetrooper90 | PSN: zonetrooper90 | NNID: zonetrooper90 |

I've never had micro USB break on me, mainly because I don't own (or at least notice) any devices that use it. However, it does look like a really flimsy connector, and mini USB looks so much more robust. If they made the standard just require USB, with guidance on using mini where possible but micro on really small devices, I think it would be a much better idea. Then again, do we really need a standard at all? I don't really think so. Most companies with sense have already migrated to USB anyway. The EU are good at messing things up.

HTTP/2 203

OWH GAWD WHY...

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

Why does everyone hate micro usb? I have never had any problems with it.

Because the port lives on average for about 200 inserts, which is woeful.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It's not that they outright break, it's that they become super flaky after only a few uses.  I'm really gentle with my connectors and they still get flaky, on everything.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers