EU wants every smartphone and tablet to charge by micro-USB

bambamloly

Because the port lives on average for about 200 inserts, which is woeful.

I have had my s2 since release and am still using the cable that came with it

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

It's not that they outright break, it's that they become super flaky after only a few uses.  I'm really gentle with my connectors and they still get flaky, on everything.

If you rape your miniUSB port then it happens. I have both PC cable and normal charger for 4 years and none of them are bent even slightly.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

None of mine are bent in the slightest, yet they still have to sit just so in order to read properly.  Microusb, miniusb (ps3 contoller) are fine.

If you rape your miniUSB port then it happens. I have both PC cable and normal charger for 4 years and none of them are bent even slightly.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Honestly, I've never had an issue with micro-USB

What I really hate are those round connectors that you'd find on most laptops.

Even worse are the very small diameter ones that break off way too easily .

Those give me the hate I tell you !

Gesendet von meinem GT-N8010 mit Tapatalk 4

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

Micro USB is crappy connector. Too flimsy :\ Really miss those old Nokia power connector. Those things last forever xD

None of mine are bent in the slightest, yet they still have to sit just so in order to read properly.  Microusb, miniusb (ps3 contoller) are fine.

Thats the point - if you dont treat your stuff like pimp threat his ho in 70's movies then nothing will happen to it. Same standard for all devices is a very good idea. If you went on vacation and forgot charger you can ask ANYONE with a phone and it will fit your phone to charge it.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

Why does everyone hate micro usb? I have never had any problems with it.

personally i have lost 4 micro usb ports

I have had my s2 since release and am still using the cable that came with it

You know what average means, don't you?

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Only bad part about my S4? The charger. To hell with micro-usb!

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Because the port lives on average for about 200 inserts, which is woeful.

No it doesn't... It can handle much much more than that. Hell, the standard for microUSB even says that it should last 10,000 insertions during testing. Mini-USB is only rated for 5,000.

No it doesn't... It can handle much much more than that. Hell, the standard for microUSB even says that it should last 10,000 insertions during testing. Mini-USB is only rated for 5,000.

I'm going to go ahead and say this: the "data" that was quoted for that showed full-size USB ports (or connectors, I wasn't really sure which) as lasting only 1500 uses. Tell me, when's the last time you've broken a full-size USB port? For me it's never, I've actually had a time when I accidentally pulled a connected flash drive sideways and ripped the entire thing OFF of the USB connector, i.e. despite the computer and the drive being years old and used regularly the weakest portion of the drive was still on a part that had no mechanical wear and tear at all. On the other hand, my Mother breaks a Micro USB cable every few months.

Basically, any data which calls Micro USB more durable than standard USB, I'm going to call BS. Or they listed things in the wrong order.

I'm going to go ahead and say this: the "data" that was quoted for that showed full-size USB ports (or connectors, I wasn't really sure which) as lasting only 1500 uses. Tell me, when's the last time you've broken a full-size USB port? For me it's never, I've actually had a time when I accidentally pulled a connected flash drive sideways and ripped the entire thing OFF of the USB connector, i.e. despite the computer and the drive being years old and used regularly the weakest portion of the drive was still on a part that had no mechanical wear and tear at all. On the other hand, my Mother breaks a Micro USB cable every few months.

Basically, any data which calls Micro USB more durable than standard USB, I'm going to call BS. Or they listed things in the wrong order.

Ehhh... That test is about minimum connections before breaking to pass the test. Just because regular sized USB is only tested for 1500 connections does not mean it will instantly break in the 1501:st. I am calling bullshit on that "micro USB breaks after 200 connections" statistics that's nowhere to be found, and the only source is that Linus talked to some RP guy from some very small company that was trying to sell him a device.

Well I have posted my source, which is directly from USB.org. Feel free to post a source (which is not just Linus quoting a RP guy who has not released any test results at all, just goes "oh we have done tests but we won't shot them to anyone, our product is better than the competitors though, trust me") if you got one though.

Hah. Good luck getting me to buy another phone with micro usb on the bottom. I've made that mistake once already, never again, EU!

Ehhh... That test is about minimum connections before breaking to pass the test. Just because regular sized USB is only tested for 1500 connections does not mean it will instantly break in the 1501:st. I am calling bullshit on that "micro USB breaks after 200 connections" statistics that's nowhere to be found, and the only source is that Linus talked to some RP guy from some very small company that was trying to sell him a device.

Well I have posted my source, which is directly from USB.org. Feel free to post a source (which is not just Linus quoting a RP guy who has not released any test results at all, just goes "oh we have done tests but we won't shot them to anyone, our product is better than the competitors though, trust me") if you got one though.

Nnh... Unless there was an internal documentation mistake, I did find the original publication, as well as a description of the theoretical reasoning which basically said that the test was based on the port, which lasts longer in Micro USB because the springs are the parts that break and those were moved to the cable for micro. That doesn't change the fact that Micro USB is more vulnerable to imperfect use (i.e. it's smaller so if you tried to bend the connector you probably could) but will be just fine when inserted correctly. If the reasoning is to be believed, it also means that the connector is the part that will wear out, which was not specifically mentioned as a thing they tested so could still be fairly non-durable.

Not that you're wrong though, I can certainly appreciate the fact that you can specifically cite your data. And it's true that just because certification only requires 1500 doesn't mean that 1500 is the maximum, or even the average, so USB can be just fine over long times. I still maintain my position that HAVING a standard is good but FORCING a standard is bad, but that's a separate issue.

micro may suck but a universial charger ? that would be wonderful good god why are you people against this ?

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

micro may suck but a universial charger ? that would be wonderful good god why are you people against this ?

Because we're already as close to "Universal" as is actually needed? Micro USB is so common now that the only reasons to not use it are "Because we have enough market share to force people to buy our overpriced alternative" or some actual limitation to the standard that is being addressed. Maybe some company has a charger that charges crazy fast and wants to be able to include that on their phones, or maybe wireless charging advances enough that it would be totally reasonable to have no physical port at all, except the law says you must.

As I said, standards are GREAT but Micro USB is already standard; if you don't have a good reason not to use it you'll just go ahead and use it. If you DO have a reason, then the consumers get to decide if it's a good enough reason. If it's LAW then nobody can innovate in that particular segment ever again.

Because we're already as close to "Universal" as is actually needed? Micro USB is so common now that the only reasons to not use it are "Because we have enough market share to force people to buy our overpriced alternative" or some actual limitation to the standard that is being addressed. Maybe some company has a charger that charges crazy fast and wants to be able to include that on their phones, or maybe wireless charging advances enough that it would be totally reasonable to have no physical port at all, except the law says you must.

As I said, standards are GREAT but Micro USB is already standard; if you don't have a good reason not to use it you'll just go ahead and use it. If you DO have a reason, then the consumers get to decide if it's a good enough reason. If it's LAW then nobody can innovate in that particular segment ever again.

yeah I get your point  now I understand peoplse objections

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Please no, anything but this no!!!!!

For everyone who is saying they've never had a problem with micro USB you're incredibly gentle on electronics; the things break by the dozen and quickly the ports quickly begin to fail.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

How do you propose we transfer data onto our phones if there is no USB port? Bluetooth?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

This is stupid, why is the government trying to meddle in technology. They no nothing about it and they want to regulate it like they do. But I think Apple will be a company that will stand their ground with this. Creating a standard is fine when it is something that is holding the industry back, but this will hold the industry back and do nothing to help it progress. Also Industries create their own standards, not the government.

-Corsair 750D - MSI Mpower Z77 - 3570k @ 4.21 -Corsair H60- 8GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 Mhz- Corsair RM850 - MSI 780 Lightning -256GB SSD- 2 1TB HDDs - LG 23' Flatron - Razer Death Adder - Ducky Shine 3 Cherry MX Blue - Logitech z506 5.1-

Project - Bloody Lightning

They have been planning this law for ages one of the reasons why the companys use the connecter in the first place because the eu wanted to unify things

How do you propose we transfer data onto our phones if there is no USB port? Bluetooth?

The micro usb port of my GNexus broke like a year ago, for charging i use these 3 contact points at the side and for data transfer airdroid

My micro usb on my external hard drive is coming loose... and it sits on top on my PC and I plug it in when I need it...