EU wants every smartphone and tablet to charge by micro-USB

bambamloly

Oh god no, what is this monstrosity.

Would mean the end of proprietary chargers, so you wouldn't have so many of the damn things lying around. Although I would prefer standard usb.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

This is just the kind of ill-informed crap I've come to expect from the EU. The sooner people wake up and vote for parties which advocate leaving it, the better. We're already seeing it happening in the UK - you can bet UKIP will be winning the European Parliament elections here next year.

Would mean the end of proprietary chargers. Although I would prefer standard usb.

Anything to USB is fine, just provide wall adapters.

Would mean the end of proprietary chargers, so you wouldn't have so many of the damn things lying around. Although I would prefer standard usb.

Agreed, standardizing chargers to a usb connection would make it much simpler to buy chargers.

In fairness to Apple, their charger is pretty robust. I've had an iPod for over four years being plugged in multiple times per day and it's still functioning.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

It's nice that they are trying to introduce a standard in, none of this proprietary crap (looking at YOU Apple and Samsung).  But I am sure we can all decide upon something better than microusb...a new revision of miniHDMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding :P

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Why does everyone hate micro usb? I have never had any problems with it.

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

A universal charger sounds great, and while microUSB is apparently not the best (not that I've ever had problems) I still like that they're doing it.

Some guy was really trying to push the Iphone5 connector in the comments but failed to provide any evidence of its "superiority" other than its fits in both ways. Both can carry a 2amp charge/video/data etc etc. The only difference as far as the data goes the the standard micro is usb 2.0 and to carry 3.0 it needs the extra add on. oh and it only fits one way.

I honestly wouldnt mind, my headset and mouse both use micro as does my phone and previous phone, never had an issue with any of them.

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

If apple's lightning connector was the standard for smartphones and tablets i would be relatively happy as I quite like it personally

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I can't wait until wireless charging makes all of this stuff irrelevant. I personally use a wireless charger for my droid DNA and it is very convenient to not have to mess with any cables.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

no... just no 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

This is just the kind of ill-informed crap I've come to expect from the EU. The sooner people wake up and vote for parties which advocate leaving it, the better. We're already seeing it happening in the UK - you can bet UKIP will be winning the European Parliament elections here next year.

Did you see their party conference a week or so ago? They were falling apart faster than a block of flats wired up for demolishing. UKIP is a single issue party (get out of the EU) whose party leader is an MEP (his salary is paid by the EU). Oh the irony.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

As someone with an Intuos 4 tablet..I loathe those bloody tiny excuses for USB connectors. I've had my tablet sent in repairs once because of those stupid things bending/causing my usb connector to sink into the unit and damaging things. It's cool they want to introduce a standard, but feck..introduce a robust standard!

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Am I the only who doesn't hate micro usb connector? Like that it is everywhere and have never had problems with it...

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

I've had micro usb on every phone I've owned for pry 5 years now starting with the old flip Razr 2, never had one break on me... I'm a fan of making it standard.

I don't see what this is supposed to accomplish other than pissing off Apple. Pretty much every non-Apple phone and tablet already does use Micro USB because it's standardized and cheap, but in the future there may be better alternatives. The Galaxy Note 3 already uses Micro USB 3.0, which is better in all ways except size and backwards compatible so it won't be affected by this... but it could have been something else instead, maybe even something better. There are other possibilities as well, for example waterproofing a micro USB port is a lot harder than designing a proprietary port that's also waterproof.

I really don't understand how anybody would benefit from this.

Why not Mini USB. Micro USB is a pile of crap. Mini USB is far better.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

This is old news. It's why most of the phones have already implemented it.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

EU... why u do dis? Focus on making more beautiful women!!!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER