EU wants every smartphone and tablet to charge by micro-USB

bambamloly

I love microUSB and miniUSB... never had any one of them break. It's NOT a bad connector.

Never had any issues with micro usb, if anything, i hate 3.5mm jack cause it breaks all the time and haz horrible noises on every rotation after few 100's plugins, but anyways, the european desire to get rid of proprietary connectors is awesome, if its micro usb that is a standard - im fine with it really

I love my country!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I've never had MicroUSB break on me and I find it to be very reliable. I can hold up my phone (~170 grams) just fine by the MicroUSB cable without it coming out.

That said, I still wish Wireless Charging was more common.

I need more SSDs.

I've only had one time where the my microUSB port broke (Old Nokia N97). So far currently i haven't been having any problems with the microUSB on my current devices. The idea of having a standard connector is good. :)  I'm ok with having to use microUSB for my mobile devices.

Would be great since you can save chargers in the landfill by having one universal charger. But would have liked a usb charger instead in order to allow you to charge different devices. I have never had a microusb break and if you don't force it you won't be able to break it imo.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

never had a issue with microUSB so i don't relay have a problem, and i live in Canada this does not affect me.

Amen to USB, its bloody awesome and cheap, connects to everything, will make life a lot more easier for everyone. Hell lets replace sata for usb., lets replace pci-e for usb.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Linus is going to go MAAAAD :D He hates Micro USB.

AMD FX-8350 // ASUS Radeon R9 280X Matrix // ASUS M5A97 Pro // Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600MHz // Corsair RM850 PSU //  WD Green 2TB // Corsair H60 // Cooler Master Elite 430 // KBParadise V60 MX Blue // Logitech G602 // Sennheiser HD 598 + Focusrrrrite 2i2 + MXL V67 // Samsung SyncMaster 245BW 1920x1200 // #killedmywife  #afterdark  #makebombs #Twerkit      "it touches my junk"   linus 2014

Guys say it with me APPLE APPLE APPLE!!! xD no micro usb in their design. I finally replaced my apple connector after 3 or 4 years. I replaced my micro usb connector after 3 or 4 months...

what if you prefer android?

This is just the kind of ill-informed crap I've come to expect from the EU. The sooner people wake up and vote for parties which advocate leaving it, the better. We're already seeing it happening in the UK - you can bet UKIP will be winning the European Parliament elections here next year.

Not if their recent Party Conference is anything to go by. They really are just a way to try and legitimise racism. Luckily, most of the British public see that.

On topic though: I really don't mind. I've got a really old Blackberry that charges by MicroUSB and It's still fine, and doesn't look like it's going to break any time soon (unlike some other chargers I've had before). 

By the way, Gizmodo covered this story VERY differently - http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/07/micro-usb-one-thing-the-eus-got-right/

They definitely got it right when they said "It seems pretty fashionable to whine about the EU nowadays". But look at it like this:

Me: "Can I borrow someone's charger? My phone is nearly dead"

10 people pull out 10 different chargers...*5 minutes later*...none of them fit.

OR

Only 1 person need have one on them, because everyone uses micro USB.

SORTED!!

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

Not if their recent Party Conference is anything to go by. They really are just a way to try and legitimise racism. Luckily, most of the British public see that.

On topic though: I really don't mind. I've got a really old Blackberry that charges by MicroUSB and It's still fine, and doesn't look like it's going to break any time soon (unlike some other chargers I've had before). 

By the way, Gizmodo covered this story VERY differently - http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/07/micro-usb-one-thing-the-eus-got-right/

They definitely got it right when they said "It seems pretty fashionable to whine about the EU nowadays". But look at it like this:

10 people pull out 10 different chargers...*5 minutes later*...none of them fit.

OR

Only 1 person need have one on them, because everyone uses micro USB.

SORTED!!

Just like how Apple people ask other apple people for their chargers.

EU has something good coming for the Micro USB users

PC: The Oracle
Phone History: Nokia 3310, Samsung Z500, HTC Touch, iPhone 3GS + Samsung S5600 Preston, iPhone 3GS + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S2 + Samsung Galaxy Tab + Blackberry Bold 9700, Samsung Galaxy S3 + Blackberry Torch 9800, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 + Blackberry Bold 9900 + Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy Note 2  + Nokia Lumia 920, Galaxy S4 +Nokia Lumia 920, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Samsung Galaxy S5

Just like how Apple people ask other apple people for their chargers.

EU has something good coming for the Micro USB users

True, the reason why Apple works is because of the integration and environment they provide. I've got a drawer in my kitchen with about 13 different chargers from over the years, where even some Nokia chargers only a year apart are different. It's a shame that companies couldn't do this on their own, but it's clearly the common sense move. 

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

Because Linus doesn't like it, and a lot of people blindly follow what Linus says.

Personally I don't have anything against micro USB. Never had one break on me (not even my Samsung charger which is easily over 1000 plugs/unplugs now). I would be happy if all phones started using a single connector. Also:

Micro-USB is rated for twice as high durability as mini-USB. That's directly from USB.org. Linus' "source" is a RP guy from some random company without any proper documentation on the test (they haven't released the results to the public, or anything like that) that was simply trying to make their device look better than the competition. Some anecdotal evidence from Linus made him believe it.

I think it's funny how Linus is very quick to bash micro-USB because he have had 2-3 devices with it break, but all his Razer devices that have broken down in the past (seemed like he have had more Razer devices break than micro USB devices) he is very quick to defend and say it's not Razer's fault and so on. Biased? I think so.

I totally agree with you on the blind faith in everything Linus says. That's sort of the "problem" with this forum, it contains a mixture of Linus-fanboys and people who just plain like tech. 

As for the connector itself, I've never had one break on me, but that's probably because I recognize the fact that it is fragile and won't take mechanical stress very well. I haven't looked through your source material, but I'm guessing that they rated the connectors for perfect plug/unplugs, which is fair enough, it'll show how durable the connecting part of the connector is. I do, however, very much doubt that they rated how rugged it was by doing real-world plug/unplugs. That's something which will drastically reduce the lifetime of the connector. 

And as for the sources Linus had. A company did a in-house test of how durable each connector was in a real world scenario to figure out which one they wanted to use in their product. They went with a full sized connector because it survived a lot longer than the micro. This was not a scientific test meant to be used for reference or for debunking whatever test the usb-guys have performed. In a real world, there's no doubt that full sized connector will be more durable and rugged than a micro connector under normal "unperfect" usage

having the same charger for every phone is great, and I understand why they go for micro usb because almost every phone already has that.
But I still would have loved to see something else.

I make Rainmeter things and other art :D

Just another instance of big government going on a power trip and imposing ridiculous norms on a market that should be free.

Let's no worry about security, economy or any of those trifles. Phone chargers, that's the real issue of the 21st Century. I'm so glad they're doing this with their money and not my ow..- oh wait.

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

367312_original.jpg

but Europe, we were doing so well

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Just another instance of big government going on a power trip and imposing ridiculous norms on a market that should be free.

Let's no worry about security, economy or any of those trifles. Phone chargers, that's the real issue of the 21st Century. I'm so glad they're doing this with their money and not my ow..- oh wait.

How is it ridiculous? Have you never been in a situation where you want to borrow your mate's charger, but you can't because it's completely different?

They worry about all those things, and make them a priority. To suggest they don't is pretty childish.

I know it seems very fashionable to whine about the EU, but to suggest that enforcing a new standard affects free market dynamics shows a remarkable misunderstanding of the free market.

Just Google the thousands of posts on all sorts of forums of people complaining about the number of different chargers, practically begging for a universal standard. Do you honestly think it makes sense for every manufacturer to have a different charger? Really? -.-

aren't there more serious concerns than this?

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Funny thing is, most people complaining about micro usb here, dont have their own opinion and just blindly repeat what linus has said/believes.

Absolutely. That, and blindly complain about the EU because they think it's clever to do so. It's that sort of generic pseudo-satire nonsense that really impedes any sort of real conversation being able to take place -.-

I'm glad to see so many people on here get it, but that doesn't stop the stupid comments being any less stupid. 

How is it ridiculous? Have you never been in a situation where you want to borrow your mate's charger, but you can't because it's completely different?

They worry about all those things, and make them a priority. To suggest they don't is pretty childish.

I know it seems very fashionable to whine about the EU, but to suggest that enforcing a new standard affects free market dynamics shows a remarkable misunderstanding of the free market.

Everyone wants easy universal standards and consolidation. However:

A) I don't think USB micro should be that standard that standard; I don't care what Linus says, I think it's fragile, that the base of the connector is way too bulky for the size of the actual pins, it'll eventually be too slow for when all phones are used as mass storage, and if you really want to talk to me about what the future should be like, then I'd like it to be magnetic.

B ) I don't think the EU or any governmental body should be the one to impose or try to impose it. Once an ideal standard emerges, it'll become the norm by itself by virtue of everyone wanting it and companies reacting to their customer base accordingly. Touch screens are an ideal way of interacting with a smartphone, and now that's all you see. No EU required.

D) Once again, I don't know where you live, but I live in Belgium, and one percent of the country's yearly budget goes to the EU. That's symbolically my money, and I wish they were doing something else with it.

Do you honestly think it makes sense for every manufacturer to have a different charger? Really? -.-

The Straw Man Fallacy.

CPU: Intel 3930K @ 4.6GHz || MOBO: Asus P9X79-E WS || GPU: 2x Nvidia GTX Titans || CASE: Fractal Design Define XL R2 || PSU: Corsair AX1200i

RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum @ 2100 MHz || Storage: 240GB Samsung 840 Pro & 2TB Seagate Barracuda || Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Peripherals: Samsung S27B970D - Asus PB23HQ - Logitech MX Revolution - Corsair K95 - Samson Meteor Mic - Logitech C920 - Bowers&Wilkins MM-1

Everyone wants easy universal standards and consolidation. However:

A) I don't think USB micro should be that standard that standard; I don't care what Linus says, I think it's fragile, that the base of the connector is way too bulky for the size of the actual pins, it'll eventually be too slow for when all phones are used as mass storage, and if you really want to talk to me about what the future should be like, then I'd like it to be magnetic.

B) I don't think the EU or any governmental body should be the one to impose or try to impose it. Once an ideal standard emerges, it'll become the norm by itself by virtue of everyone wanting it and companies reacting to their customer base accordingly. Touch screens are an ideal way of interacting with a smartphone, and now that's all you see. No EU required.

D) Once again, I don't know where you live, but I live in Belgium, and one percent of the country's yearly budget goes to the EU. That's symbolically my money, and I wish they were doing something else with it.

The Straw Man Fallacy.

A ) What would you suggest then? Everyone seems to be saying about how they don't have any problem with them and think that some people are just saying it because Linus said it.

B ) Why not the EU? The main reason they use different chargers is to make it harder for consumers to switch between ecosystems (See: Apple). If mobile phones have existed since 1973, why in over 4 decades has an "ideal standard" not emerged and "become the norm"? If the EU imposes it then there's no way around it.

C ) Why was there no C? -.-

D)  I'm in the UK, which contributes more in GNI-based payment than Belgium contributes overall. The EU have all sorts of different bits and pieces, it's not just one giant council. I'm quite happy for the people who deal with technology to focus on trying to create a standard that will make things better for the consumer and force the companies to be competitive in other, better ways.

It's only a straw man if I state some form of misinformation and claim it to be true and an integral part of his argument. Maybe you should've read that link first ;)

Okay, let me say a few things more clearly:

I have not seen a non-Apple phone that doesn't have Micro-USB charging in over two years. People are acting like the legislation will change something, but really it's been a long time since the days of every company (and occasionally even each phone within that company) having a unique proprietary charger because it's not cost effective to design, manufacture, and distribute them just for the people who will need to get a new one, compared to using the standard Micro USB that doesn't require any of those things.

I also HAVE seen tablets and other devices (The Galaxy Note 3 being in this AND the previous category) which use some connector other than Micro USB for a reason, usually faster charging of large batteries or easier capability for waterproofing. The amount of power that can be provided by a USB port was never really intended to be enough for full-on independent computing devices, so I don't really fault manufacturers for wanting more than that.

What I wouldn't mind is having the government ban proprietary chargers themselves. That doesn't prevent any company from trying to find a new, better connector, but it does mean that if they DO find that connector then anybody else could also get those benefits, it could become the new standard without any problems if it's found to be better in all or most ways, and it allows the market to shift easily in accordance with any changes that they might want to make.