Google wants better female representation in emoji's

Do you think Google should do this?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Google should do this?

• Yes, it gives equal representation to both sexes
    • Yes, it will remove any stereotypes that encourage women to not study STEM
    • No, honestly I don't think it really matters

A quick perusal of the emoji database reveals no shortage of doctors and lawyers and business executives, but if you look closely, you’ll notice that these are all male characters. Women emoji can be found, but they’re generally princesses, brides, or icons designed to convey beauty. Where are all the working women at? They exist in real life, so why aren’t they showing up on our phones? We have space for over a dozen images of Japanese food but not one woman with a degree? This is the question Google is asking, so they’ve submitted a proposal to the Unicode Consortium recommending the addition of 13 new female emoji that would give women better representation.

In their proposal, Google cites the writing of Amy Butcher, who published a piece in the New York Times about this very issue:

Yes, there were women’s faces, and tiny women’s bodies. But for the women actually engaged in an activity or profession, there were only archetypes: the flamenco dancer in her red gown, the bride in her flowing veil, the princess in her gold tiara. There was a set of ballet dancers complete with bunny ears and black leotards, their smiles indicating that, gosh, they were so grateful to God and everyone, really, for this opportunity to pose for Playboy…

Where, I wanted to know, was the fierce professor working her way to tenure? Where was the lawyer? The accountant? The surgeon? How was there space for both a bento box and a single fried coconut shrimp, and yet women were restricted to a smattering of tired, beauty-centric roles? This was not a problem for our male emoji brethren. Men were serving on the police force, working construction and being Santa. Meanwhile, on our phones, it was Saturday at the Mall of America — women shopping while men wrote the checks.

I don't know what to say about this. I think they are taking this far too seriously, they are just emoji's. Political correctness is pretty much hammering on everything that isn't really important. I believe its kinda better that emoji's are archetypes, IMO they convey the message better. If I want to use the emoji for someone raising their hand, I don't think: "Oh, I'm not going to use that, because that is a woman".

This is an important issue to take on. The inclusion of only males fulfilling these roles plays into long-standing stereotypes that reinforce the notion that occupations in the fields of tech, industry, and business are ‘man jobs.’ Indeed, the reason that we’re seeing such a troubling shortage of women in STEM fields today is because young women have long been subtly encouraged by myriad elements of our society to seek historically female roles that prize beauty and nurturing capabilities over intelligence or innovation. Having a female scientist emoticon is just one small step toward showing young women that a career as a scientist is in the cards for them.

I don't think the fact that there are female emoji's of engineers will push more women into STEM. Men and women aren't the same, not physical and not mentally. The fact that girls prefer to study in a different field shouldn't be a problem, it should be accessible to everyone. The fact that women don't like to study in STEM shouldn't really be a problem. Nobody is worried about the fact that there are less men in education than women. 

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/female-emoji-692031/

What do you think?

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

1 minute ago, Monkey Dust said:

Emojis have genders?

Looks like short hair equals man, long hair woman, this approach can in no way backfire on Google :dry:

Good point

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

I want a better representation of platypuses in emojis, we can't all get what we want! D:<

/s

3 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

Emojis have genders?

Looks like short hair equals man, long hair woman, this approach can in no way backfire on Google :dry:

I saw some cringe video a bit ago of females complaining because all the emojis doing stuff are male, I think they mentioned some skier and a surfer and some more (for a second they thought the surfer was a female, but later they concluded it was a male with long hair)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

There's a great video about changes that will be coming and how this system works.  Emojis are actually more complicated, and get given more thought than you might expect ;) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, CaptainGazzz said:

I don't know what to say about this. I think they are taking this far too seriously, they are just emoji's. Political correctness is pretty much hammering on everything that isn't really important. I believe its kinda better that emoji's are archetypes, IMO they convey the message better. If I want to use the emoji for someone raising their hand, I don't think: "Oh, I'm not going to use that, because that is a woman".

I don't think the fact that there are female emoji's of engineers will push more women into STEM. Men and women aren't the same, not physical and not mentally. The fact that girls prefer to study in a different field shouldn't be a problem, it should be accessible to everyone. The fact that women don't like to study in STEM shouldn't really be a problem. Nobody is worried about the fact that there are less men in education than women. 

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/female-emoji-692031/

What do you think?

fucking retarded

emoij is already fucked (with the new skin colors n shit)
i hate this, just leave one smiley icon or something, you don't need 69 trillion diffrent emoijs for every thing you do in your life and for your skin color and gender

not a sexist, but i just don't see why we would add even more emoijs when we don't need them.

my solution: remove all emoijs and make them neutral so they don't represent a gender or skin color and only have the smileys.

i blame this btw:

perfect examples of emoijs we don't need (doesn't matter which gender, these emoijs are useless)

googleemoji.jpg

/rant

FFS, they're just emojis. They don't even look human, they're literally blobs with facial expressions.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I don't really care, so I just answered no. I mean I like the themes of gender equality and removing gender prejudice where ever possible. However you can never account for the choices that some women will make and the choices that some men will make. Some people will simply make better career or personal choices than other people. That's a given. Just because male dominated fields exist doesn't mean that there aren't female dominated fields, and that doesn't mean one sex can't enter that dominated field by the opposite sex. 

I almost feel that this new form of Feminism or Political Correctness, whatever you want to call it is trying to create a double standard.  However I feel that adding emojis of women could possibly be stereotyping women. Honestly though, I don't think this contributes to ridding our society or political system of any actual gender inequality or gender prejudice that actually exists in today's world. 
I like Google, I also like a lot of the things the Democratics/Left Wing has to say. However modern Feminism and Political Correctness is awfully annoying.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

9 minutes ago, mikat said:

fucking retarded

emoij is already fucked (with the new skin colors n shit)
i hate this, just leave one smiley icon or something, you don't need 69 trillion diffrent emoijs for every thing you do in your life and for your skin color and gender

not a sexist, but i just don't see why we would add even more emoijs when we don't need them.

my solution: remove all emoijs and make them neutral so they don't represent a gender or skin color and only have the smileys.

I thought that Google's current emojis tended to not have a gender.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Wait, emojis have genders?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Oh for fucks sakes...

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

Maybe women should start picking STEM field courses, instead of gender studies...

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

"Important concerns for megacorporations in 2016"

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Idk seems fine to me since emojis are a world wide standard.

I still don't like them and won't use them, but that's fine I don't have to.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

In high school, a majority of students in my science-related classes (chemistry and biology) were about 60% female. In university, in a chemistry/biology-based program, this ratio was easily maintained or exceeded. I now work in a laboratory environment and the ratio is again about the same. Never have I ever seen any evidence that females are being turned away from the sciences. In fact, I'd argue against the opposite, if any gender is being turned away from the sciences it's males due to general perception of science being "geeky and unmacho" compared to more "manly" fields such as business/finance/etc.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

Spiraling..Spiraling , Spiraling into our own bullshit ... but wait there's more..:|

Details separate people.

I mean if it was really bothering ppl...ok then...but god damn this is such a first world problem. Ppl struggling out there for some clean water and we mad we can't get emojis to rep everyone. 

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

5 minutes ago, LtRavens said:

I mean if it was really bothering ppl...ok then...but god damn this is such a first world problem. Ppl struggling out there for some clean water and we mad we can't get emojis to rep everyone. 

shhh.. quiet, stand down , just cater to their every micro needs,like a REAL man, if you say no to them or No to any fucked up thought that is passing through their goddamn minds momentarily , you're a misogynistic women hater , automatically...:ph34r:

Details separate people.