Google says it will begin banning most Chrome plug-ins in Jan. 2014

mgsstar

Browser plug-ins are one of the largest security vulnerabilities facing today's computers, and Google aims to remove this issue from their Chrome browser once and for all. Starting in January 2014, Google will begin banning all of the most widely used browser plug-ins and will insist that developers begin using programming methods that use standards built directly into the web.

33085_1_google_says_it_will_begin_bannin

Most of the plug-ins featured on Chrome use the Netscape Plug-In Application programming interface, a technology that was state-of-the-art more than 10 years ago. Plug-ins should not be confused with much safer Add-Ons, which Google distributes through its Chrome Web Store. Fortunately, plug-ins such as Microsoft's Silverlight, Unity, Java, Flash, and Facebook Video will be white listed in the ban, so most of your services should continue functioning normally.

Source:http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33085/google-says-it-will-begin-banning-most-chrome-plug-ins-in-jan-2014/index.html

Glad that Google is doing this in order to secure their browser. Hope that developers will find ways to implement these into the web before January 1, 2014 in order to avoid having these plug-ins banned and not being able to use it. Really hope that the plug-ins that were excluded wouldn't have any or that much security vulnerabilities. If these has vulnerabilities, its a good thing that the vulnerabilities is minimized by the ban of most plug-ins but the browser would be still have security vulnerabilities.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

No google why

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

No google why

What...Is this a joke?

The common plug-ins are not banned so its not that bad imo:

Fortunately, plug-ins such as Microsoft's Silverlight, Unity, Java, Flash, and Facebook Video will be white listed in the ban

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

The common plug-ins are not banned so its not that bad imo:

BUt I have more Plug-ins i need D:

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

hope they do it in the play store too, no one needs 50 fucking thousand clock apps ._.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Like Adblock :(

NO, time to move to firefox

I have already switched to Opera.

Google has been getting rid of YouTube video downloading plugins for almost a year now.

How has your experience with Opera been? Thinking about trying it out.

I don't think you guys understand.

Plugins ≠ Extensions.

The tools and applications you've installed from the web store (or otherwise) aren't going anywhere.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Plug-ins should not be confused with much safer Add-Ons, which Google distributes through its Chrome Web Store.

Adblock won't be blocked because it is from the Chrome Web Store.

You guys, Adblock is fine. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

How has your experience with Opera been? Thinking about trying it out.

Great!

The one difference that Opera doesn't mention(at least not openly) is that Opera 15 is based off of the same coding of Chrome, so you can download a Opera extension to allow you to install Chrome extensions. Also in Opera 15 there isn't a bookmark toolbar(they said they are going to add it back in soon). You can download Opera 12 which has the bookmark toolbar and doesn't use the same coding as Chrome.

I use Opera 15 personally with the Chrome extension(for playing around with different things). Works great with YouTube(with YouTube Center of course), Ad block, Reddit Enhancement Suite, etc.

Definitely worth a try, I use their Speed Dial feature daily.

Welp, there goes YouTube Dashboard.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

good I hate adblock, and chrome

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

Linus is happy, right now

I have adblock off on linustechtips.com and youtube.

Plugins ≠ Extensions.

The tools and applications you've installed from the web store (or otherwise) aren't going anywhere.

Adblock won't be blocked because it is from the Chrome Web Store.

You guys, Adblock is fine. 

Oh, I misread the article I guess I look like an idiot now. Although it was pretty badly worded and they should have been using the word extensions instead of Ad-ons

good I hate adblock, and chrome

So you hate 2 of the best things in existence?

Fortunately, plug-ins such as Microsoft's Silverlight, Unity, Java, Flash, and Facebook Video will be white listed in the ban

Uh...isn't Silverlight kinda needed for Netflix?

edit: Oh wait, I missed the white-list part.

Either-way, I'll stick to Firefox. :D

I have already switched to Opera.

Google has been getting rid of YouTube video downloading plugins for almost a year now.

this that way I can still use ad block...

I kidd but seriously no one at remembers how annoying ads use to be ?  there was a reason why ad block became populer

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

No google why

What...Is this a joke?

BUt I have more Plug-ins i need D:

THIS  v

Plugins ≠ Extensions.

Add-Ons/Extensions are NOT plugins. If you got it through the Chrome Webstore, it is here to stay. And anyways, if your "plugins" are that important, it is very likely they will be updated or alternatives will become available. 

sysloc

Good, clean up the Play Store as well.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.0GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Storage: Samsung 120GB 840 SSD Cooling: Corsair H100 with Noctuas Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2

SpeedTest: http://www.speedtest.net/result/3243874809.png

Okay, so I'll phrase this in a way that (hopefully) people will understand:

All those things you like and use? Those are staying.

All those popups that some sites give requesting that you install "ActiveX Control" or some BS like that? Gone.

Basically Google is trying to force sites to not use a bad implementation of various things on the grounds that it's a bad implementation. There will be a few sites that won't work on Chrome anymore because they require plugins to operate, but the rest of the internet will be exactly the same except safer.