Google says it will begin banning most Chrome plug-ins in Jan. 2014

mgsstar

Well this is terrible. I might just switch to another browser now. If I can't use YouTube Zone and Adblock (for some very intrusive adverts) then I will go to FireFox.

Just more evidence that Google is becoming more and more less open. It's a shame because Google revelled in it's openness. Maybe Steam will come out with a browser for it's new OS, it would be nice if we could get some plugins for it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Well this is terrible. I might just switch to another browser now. If I can't use YouTube Zone and Adblock (for some very intrusive adverts) then I will go to FireFox.

Just more evidence that Google is becoming more and more less open. It's a shame because Google revelled in it's openness. Maybe Steam will come out with a browser for it's new OS, it would be nice if we could get some plugins for it.

Please read the article. Adblock is still available since it is from the Chrome Web Store. All apps from the Chrome Web Store will not be banned.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Great!

The one difference that Opera doesn't mention(at least not openly) is that Opera 15 is based off of the same coding of Chrome, so you can download a Opera extension to allow you to install Chrome extensions. Also in Opera 15 there isn't a bookmark toolbar(they said they are going to add it back in soon). You can download Opera 12 which has the bookmark toolbar and doesn't use the same coding as Chrome.

I use Opera 15 personally with the Chrome extension(for playing around with different things). Works great with YouTube(with YouTube Center of course), Ad block, Reddit Enhancement Suite, etc.

Definitely worth a try, I use their Speed Dial feature daily.

Can you help me getting Opera up and running with YouTube Center and adblock. Because It looks like I am changing after hearing this news.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Please read the article. Adblock is still available since it is from the Chrome Web Store. All apps from the Chrome Web Store will not be banned.

Well Google will come to that sooner then later. They are just taking baby steps to get where they really want to go. Besides I have some extensions that I like having not just for convenience but for practicality like Tampermonkey which releases on Extensions for it to work with some of my other Apps.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

tbh if Google is doing something THIS drastic its for a reason. Tbh Java is a massive security issue for computers, so many browser exploits are Java based

If it makes for a safer internet I am happy. And I am sure people will just reprogram these plugins as extensions and all will be well with the world. For example, Silverlight is horrific ffs, I hate the bloody thing, MS probably wrote it in Visual Basic

The programmers of these plugins have 3 months to change things around, and I am sure its been on the cards for longer and the larger guys have been given notification tbh. I mean if they dont make extensions and make these things safer when tbh I'd rather not using it. Most of my family and friends who end up needing me to fix their computers is due to random web surfing and not knowing anything about safety on the web, if this makes things safer...??

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I have already switched to Opera.

Google has been getting rid of YouTube video downloading plugins for almost a year now.

1. How long has your icon blinked? XDD

2. Youtube control center works wonders http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114002

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

1. How long has your icon blinked? XDD

2. Youtube control center works wonders http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/114002

I have been using Opera for the past 3-4 months or so. Ever since @TopWargamer posted the thread about YouTube center, I've been using it and I have been installing it on every computer possible.

I used to use Chrome, liked it because of the Gmail integration, but I switched from Gmail to my own private email domain that is hosted in my house for privacy. So using Chrome is pretty much not a priority for me, but I did like the built in flash.

And I changed my icon to a blinking one since @Calavera made it for me back in early August :D

Can you help me getting Opera up and running with YouTube Center and adblock. Because It looks like I am changing after hearing this news.

Well if you install Opera 15 then you can just go to the Opera extension page and YouTube center is already there and they also have Ad-block there too.

If you install Opera 12 there are still versions for it for Ad-block and whatnot, I don't know about YouTube center though(if anything you can go to userscripts, which Snickerzz linked above and just install it from there).

But if you're having trouble I'd be more than happy to help! Shoot me a PM if you get stuck(or add me on Steam/Razer Comms and we'll chat there!) :)

I have been using Opera for the past 3-4 months or so. Ever since @TopWargamer posted the thread about YouTube center, I've been using it and I have been installing it on every computer possible.

I used to use Chrome, liked it because of the Gmail integration, but I switched from Gmail to my own private email domain that is hosted in my house for privacy.

And I changed my icon to a blinking one since @Calavera made it for me back in early August :D

Well if you install Opera 15 then you can just go to the Opera extension page and YouTube center is already there and they also have Ad-block there too.

If you install Opera 12 there are still versions for it for Ad-block and whatnot, I don't know about YouTube center though(if anything you can go to userscripts, which Snickerzz linked above and just install it from there).

But if you're having trouble I'd be more than happy to help! Shoot me a PM if you get stuck(or add me on Steam/Razer Comms and we'll chat there!) :)

august? ive just now noticed it xD scared me a little :S anyways, i might have to try opera, though i always saw it as a dieing browser just from the lack of people talking/using it

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

august? ive just now noticed it xD scared me a little :S anyways, i might have to try opera, though i always saw it as a dieing browser just from the lack of people talking/using it

True, it isn't a very popular browser, but I have never had a problem with it. It has all the extensions I use and I have gotten used to Speed Dial very quickly and just add all my primary web pages to it and then have everything else in folders on my Speed Dial.

For example, I have YouTube(Subscriptions page), LinusTechTips, PCPartPicker and Reddit stickied to my Speed Dial and then I have a Twitch folder which has LTT, Cryaotic, etc. then same thing for Tech News(Ars, PCPer, etc.), Video games news(PCGamer, Kotaku, IGN, etc.)

I'll post a picture of my Speed Dial page when I get home from school, the only dislikes I have with Opera 15 is that I can't have bookmarks(which is available in Opera 12 and below, but Speed Dial fixes that for me) and I can't change the background of my Speed Dial page to anything I want, there's only a few backgrounds to choose from.

i hope this means no more stupid fuckware when my dad installs a free program and i get some stupid search bar 

i hope this means no more stupid fuckware when my dad installs a free program and i get some stupid search bar

Completely irrelevant.

Downloading ANY Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. add-ons/extensions will not give you additional software like toolbars.

You only get toolbars when you're downloading something like Adobe Flash or Java(examples, this applies with all downloadable installations of programs) from their main website and during the installation you/or your dad didn't opt out of the toolbar installation.

Either make your dad's account into a regular user and do not grant administrator privledges, or you install everything for him.

Well you could just use Firefox... I never liked Chrome anyways, so I don't care that they're being tools about add-ons.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

BUt I have more Plug-ins i need D:

hope they do it in the play store too, no one needs 50 fucking thousand clock apps ._.

Like Adblock :(

Don't confuse Add-ons like those on the Chrome web store with plug-ins like Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader, Java, Windows Media Player, Real Player, QuickTime, Microsoft Silverlight etc. (note that most of those are either not needed because chrome has it's own built in version (such as the chrome PDF viewer and pepperflash player) which usually works better and is more secure or they will be white listed as mentioned in the article.

In the end this is mostly a good thing, most people won't even notice the change and will be safer because of this, these plugins have been a security weakness in browsers for quite a while (even the more popular ones mentioned with exploits found in Adobe Reader and Java not too long ago) I expect other browsers to follow suite eventually.

good I hate adblock, and chrome

Adblock is an addon distributed through the Google Chrome store.

Sorry, I didn't know this was already mentioned in this thread...

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Using firefox :P don't care

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I used to use Chrome, liked it because of the Gmail integration, but I switched from Gmail to my own private email domain that is hosted in my house for privacy. So using Chrome is pretty much not a priority for me, but I did like the built in flash.

I got it fully up and running. Th eonly problem is that there are no bookmarks available at the moment.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Why...

it ruins small companies like LinusMediaGroup 

Glad that Google is doing this in order to secure their browser. Hope that developers will find ways to implement these into the web before January 1, 2014 in order to avoid having these plug-ins banned and not being able to use it. Really hope that the plug-ins that were excluded wouldn't have any or that much security vulnerabilities. If these has vulnerabilities, its a good thing that the vulnerabilities is minimized by the ban of most plug-ins but the browser would be still have security vulnerabilities.

secure  ?

u do know u can download extensions from ANY website other than google's

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

37862524.jpg

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

u can download the extension directly from the developer

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

secure  ?

u do know u can download extensions from ANY website other than google's

Maybe they might add something into the browser to prevent users downloading extensions that are not on the Google App Store in the future or maybe at the same time as this happens. At least they are starting to minimize the threats by banning plug-ins. This is helping to secure their browser.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Maybe they might add something into the browser to prevent users downloading extensions that are not on the Google App Store in the future or maybe at the same time as this happens. At least they are starting to minimize the threats by banning plug-ins. This is helping to secure their browser.

i dont think they will do that its too risky