Google says it will begin banning most Chrome plug-ins in Jan. 2014

mgsstar

No. This means that it doesn't automatically use them. I notice this now in Chrome. Flash players won't load unless I tell them too in the address bar. It's actually smart.

It's like Cookie Clicker. The thing is Java based. It is eating up my RAM when I leave it running in the background. It would prevent it from starting unless I said okay.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Plugins ≠ extensions, so adblock will work fine. If you read the whole article, it will just make plugins (like flash, although that is the one exception to the rule because it's so common) click-to-play rather than run-on-load, which poses a security flaw. The only plugin most sites use is flash anyway, so you're unlikely to notice it anyway, and the feature will probably be disable-able.

On firefox, press Ctrl+Alt+A then select plugins to view which plugins you have installed.

HTTP/2 203

Already posted and extensions from the chrome webstore will not be blocked. (Adblock etc.)

That is something that does not click for me. 

Google owns Youtube. Youtube makes money off of ads. Why is adblock in the Chrome Webstore again? :|

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Wow you had me scared for a second. Where would I be without them Firefox addons?!

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

seriously guys, if you're running adblock on linus's forums, you're assholes.

Praise Duarte!

The way i see it is if you are worried about security problems don't install plugins they are a opt-in option not required.

It was nice knowing you Google Chrome, soon to be the browser a good percentage of users will drop due to lack of add-ons (aka extensions). Not all add-ons are just Ad-Block related, some actually add productivity your browser lacks and will never have because they want us to follow their method of not being able to block our personal info from their grubby hands.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I have already switched to Opera.

Google has been getting rid of YouTube video downloading plugins for almost a year now.

So Youtube Center is on the hit list? ... It gives a Download button for both video and audio on Youtube. Just saying.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So Youtube Center is on the hit list? ... It gives a Download button for both video and audio on Youtube. Just saying.

I have never seen YouTube Center on the Chrome addons/extensions page.

Unless it is hidden somewhere, then there isn't one and you have to install YouTube Center via Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey and Userscripts.

I have never seen YouTube Center on the Chrome addons/extensions page.

Unless it is hidden somewhere, then there isn't one and you have to install YouTube Center via Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey and Userscripts.

Well, this is about blocking plugins. Addons/Extensions are different. However, if Google is aiming at getting rid of Youtube video download plugins, then Youtube Center falls into that category.

† Christian Member †

Well, this is about blocking plugins. Addons/Extensions are different. However, if Google is aiming at getting rid of Youtube video download plugins, then Youtube Center falls into that category.

However YouTube Center can't be blocked because it is installed by something else entirely.

If it could be blocked, then Google will find a way, but so far YouTube Center works just fine on Chrome through Tampermonkey and userscripts.

Just saying, Google wants NPAPI out, and wants to replace it with their own version: PPAPI

So far PPAPI has been notoriously linked to chrome's version of "Pepper Flash Player"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NPAPI#PPAPI

So Google wan't PPAPI to become the defacto standard, which isn't a bad thing, they are improving and replacing a decade old deprecated standard. The new API method adds greatly improved security and optimizations for current generation platforms.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/mozilla-firefox-plugins-browser-security,24410.html Both Mozilla and Google are deactivating the plug-ins starting 2014, which means no more ad-block :(

It was nice knowing you Google Chrome, soon to be the browser a good percentage of users will drop due to lack of add-ons (aka extensions). Not all add-ons are just Ad-Block related, some actually add productivity your browser lacks and will never have because they want us to follow their method of not being able to block our personal info from their grubby hands.

PLUGINS ARE NOT THE SAME AS EXTENSIONS/ADDONS.

Plugins are programs that you install in windows (or any other OS) that let websites add multimedia content to your page that's not supported by default in your browser. Examples of plugins are things like Flash Player, the Google Earth Plugin (for google earth on google maps) and the Microsoft Office Plugin (for the online editor you can get through sky drive). These are not being removed either, you just have to click to play them because they pose a security vulnerability due to the fact that they run outside the protected zone of your browser. The only plugin that will not be affected is flash, because it's so widely used.

Extensions like adblock, youtube center, and any of the other things you will have installed within your browser (as opposed to a windows installer) WILL STILL WORK.

Sorry for the rant.

HTTP/2 203

PLUGINS ARE NOT THE SAME AS EXTENSIONS/ADDONS.

Plugins are programs that you install in windows (or any other OS) that let websites add multimedia content to your page that's not supported by default in your browser. Examples of plugins are things like Flash Player, the Google Earth Plugin (for google earth on google maps) and the Microsoft Office Plugin (for the online editor you can get through sky drive). These are not being removed either, you just have to click to play them because they pose a security vulnerability due to the fact that they run outside the protected zone of your browser. The only plugin that will not be affected is flash, because it's so widely used.

Extensions like adblock, youtube center, and any of the other things you will have installed within your browser (as opposed to a windows installer) WILL STILL WORK.

Sorry for the rant.

Ya know what I would like? If people would read the threads before responding. That would be nice. 

† Christian Member †

Ya know what I would like? If people would read the threads before responding. That would be nice. 

It was more aimed at the others who, despite all the other responses, were still concerned about addons. I wasn't sure about which ones to add to the reply thing, and there are a lot of posts in the thread, so sorry that I quoted your post as well. My point still stands to the others though.

HTTP/2 203

They need to find the NSA a one then kill it first hopefully they didn't hide it stupid NSA.