GTX 1080 benchmarks leak: not much faster than a 980 Ti

asim1999
2 minutes ago, Notional said:

Calm down. No one wants to read mouth diarrhea like that. Use some argumentation instead and support your points.

He also fails to realize that the 1080 is supposed to replace the 980 not the 980Ti. If the benchmarks compared those two they would show very good performance gains.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, kcaBsIsuxeN said:

Lol.  Agree bait like this is so pathetic.

If you actually managed to read my post you'd understand.

It's the next generation, yet the 1080 will barely be able to support 4k, just like the 980 ti, there is no difference.  Does this clear things up for your mind?

lineup.png

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Just now, TidaLWaveZ said:

lineup.png

Wow, a graph.

Well done :D

10 minutes ago, kcaBsIsuxeN said:

Wow, a graph.

Make a connection...

This graph gives you a good history of the performance increase between generations.  This is obviously information that you have never seen.  If you had, you would at least have a brief knowledge of the performance jump to expect between generations.  Your lack of information makes your expectations completely unrealistic, giving you no right to criticize.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Nope, all I'm saying is there is no point upgrading to 10xx.  The only reason anyone is interested is 4k gaming, there is no advantage.  

Hence I have every right to complain....

19 minutes ago, kcaBsIsuxeN said:

Lol.  Agree bait like this is so pathetic.

If you actually managed to read my post you'd understand.

It's the next generation, yet the 1080 will barely be able to support 4k, just like the 980 ti.  There is no difference.  They are charging people slightly less for the same card.  How does this progress anything?  Does this clear things up for your mind?

We don't know anything about gaming performance yet. We don't know if the "leaked" bench is legit or if they even use up to date drivers made for Pascal. All matters in the end.

If this is correct, a 1080 is a full model further down, yet faster than the 980ti, less TDP and more VRAM. That is a good product (if we don't factor in DX12/async compute just yet). No one with a 980ti is supposed to upgrade to a 1080 anyways, so I'm not sure what your point is?

Polaris will be the exact same though. A polaris 11 isn't going to magically beat a Fury X. Never going to happen. @TidaLWaveZ  graph is very good to show the performance increments between each generation of cards. Additionally the lower increase in the 900 series will be similar on AMD's chart, due to using the obsolete 28nm node keeping GPU's back for a few years now.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

What I'm most happy about, is nVidia has seemingly learned from AMD in a valuable lesson of incorporating plenty of VRAM. No more of this 2gig BS they're known for. Being able to raise texture settings and installing more mods without worry is a welcomed change.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

4 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

What I'm most happy about, is nVidia has seemingly learned from AMD in a valuable lesson of incorporating plenty of VRAM. No more of this 2gig BS they're known for. Being able to raise texture settings and installing more mods without worry is a welcomed change.

Yup. One of my key critiques about the 600, 700 and to some extent the 900 series. Still remember all those people saying the 7970 would never use 3GB and the 290's would never use 4GB. They were wrong. Oh so very wrong.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

21 hours ago, asim1999 said:

According the Videocardz, and overclocked 980 Ti scores around the same as the new 1080 with around 8700 points on Firestrike Extreme. So 980 Ti users who are holding their breath and wanted to upgrade, there is now more reason to keep your card for longerNVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-FireStrike-Extre

Also NVIDIA has officially teased the new cooler design that was rumoured. Love it or hate it, it is confirmed for the reference cards:

NVIDIA-GTX-1080-teaser-400x266.jpg

Also NVIDIA has confirmed the GTX 1080 launch for tomorrow:

NVIDIA-GTX-1080-annoucement-900x450.jpg

Please leave your comments below and let me know what you think!

Sources:

http://videocardz.com/59572/nvidia-special-event-may-6th-geforce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-announcement

http://videocardz.com/59583/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-cooler-confirmed

http://videocardz.com/59558/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-benchmarks

I assume that these cards will be improved over time slightly with driver updates. Also, we dont know what the price is. It could be that the 1080 will be a significant price to performance upgrade. That is essentially what AMD is doing with polaris. Supposedly, they are releasing a card that operates just as well as the 980ti but is half the price. If the 1080 is anything like that - operating the same as a 980ti - but half the price, it will definantly be a huge improvement. Also, I'm sure that in a about 6 months they will realease the 1080ti. This will probably be siginificantly more powerful than the 1080. Also, the newest tech trends have been around 4k and VR, i would have to imagine that the next generation of cards from both NVidia and AMD will be optimized for both of those in some way or another.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

The Nvidia faboyisms is strong in this thread... I doubt Pascal and Polaris will be that vastly different in terms of performance.

Nvidia might be better in some games where AMD will be better in other games. 

Single card 4K gaming won't happen until Vega and Volta.

Polaris 10 is a new architecture but so is Pascal. I suspect that AMD will have lower TDPs this time around.

Regardless I think there are rather few reasons you should choose Nvidia over AMD.

1 hour ago, -BirdiE- said:

"Snip"

Profit, such a terrible thing... /s

Nah but seriously it almost seems that Nvidia does something Apple would do and charge more because of the brand. Though it's possible there are other reasons that Nvidia would need a larger profit margin than what AMD might need/want.

AMD has a better value for what you're getting and again few reasons to go for Nvidia over AMD when the benefit is miniscule.

Edited by tobben
Removed quote

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Single card 4K gaming won't happen until Vega and Volta.

Yeah. The only card that can MAYBE do it is the Titan using the full GP100... But I don't see them pulling any production away from their P100 workstation cards any time soon.

3 minutes ago, wcreek said:

The Nvidia faboyisms is strong in this thread... I doubt Pascal and Polaris will be that vastly different in terms of performance.

It almost seems that Nvidia does something Apple would do and charge more because of the brand. Though it's possible there are other reasons that Nvidia would need a larger profit margin than what AMD might need/want.

AMD has a better value for what you're getting and again few reasons to go for Nvidia over AMD when the benefit is miniscule.

I agree that there won't be a ton of difference between the new nVidia and AMD cards, but I think there's a lot of hype here because it feels like the Pascal cards are going to be the first cards to market (may or may not be true, but it is what the rumors suggest).

I'm not sure nVidia charges more for brand, and especially not to the degree Apple does (Bought a laptop for $1,100. Same MacBook Pro would have cost $1,800). I'm pretty neutral about brand. Looking at the GPUs out there right now, I'd say the pricing by both brands is about the same for price/performance.

We'll see how things shake out with the new cards. I'd love to see AMD regain some market share.

15 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Makes sense, I guess.

Huh? Fuck Nvidia for making a card that beats the 980 Ti by a reasonable amount at around $500?

$500 my arse, more like $650 - 700 for very little progression over a 980ti, Nvidia prey on those that have to have the latest and greatest........So yeah fuck Nvidia.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

3 hours ago, Notional said:

Yup. One of my key critiques about the 600, 700 and to some extent the 900 series. Still remember all those people saying the 7970 would never use 3GB and the 290's would never use 4GB. They were wrong. Oh so very wrong.

While I agree with your sentiment, they are not exactly wrong. The reason why many games use as much VRAM as it does is a result of increasing laziness on game development. In fact, it is safe to say that a vast majority of recently released "heavy-weight" PC titles can be run, with zero compromises, using less than 512MB of maximum VRAM on 1080P.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

29 minutes ago, super_skank said:

$500 my arse, more like $650 - 700 for very little progression over a 980ti, Nvidia prey on those that have to have the latest and greatest........So yeah fuck Nvidia.

Oh yeah, Nvidia is awful for trying to sell a product because they know the buyers exist. Fuck them, right?

There's no reason to expect the 1080 will be more than the 980 was, and by your logic, both AMD and Nvidia should only release new GPUs every second or third generation since the generational improvements have been pretty similar for both sides. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, Colonel_Gerdauf said:

While I agree with your sentiment, they are not exactly wrong. The reason why many games use as much VRAM as it does is a result of increasing laziness on game development. In fact, it is safe to say that a vast majority of recently released "heavy-weight" PC titles can be run, with zero compromises, using under less than 512MB of maximum VRAM on 1080P.

It all depends on the texture resolution and number of unique textures visible on the screen at any given time. That is the part that has increased vastly the last couple of year, dramatically increasing the need for more VRAM. Watch Dogs was the first to really push it. As we all know texture resolution and number of textures has little to no impact on performance, so it's just a vram ressource issue. This is a tendency we will see continue. 

The same can be said for the continuing complexity in shadow maps we've seen lately.

I do agree that laziness when it comes to ressources is an issue. However the more vram, the higher buffer. Hopefully that will prevent issues with the GPU having to wait for the CPU/system ram to move textures.

I get that everyone is saying that 1080 is being compared to the 980 not the 980ti, but has anyone actually confirmed that they will even bother making a 1080ti (or other named) version? Because if not, it makes the argument kind of pointless.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

AMD Roy specifically says Polaris 10 isn't targeting the highend buyers Nvidia is and yet AMD fans think Polaris 10 is going to be on par with GTX 1080?

8 hours ago, kcaBsIsuxeN said:

Wow, a graph.

+ 1 B|

11 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

AMD Roy specifically says Polaris 10 isn't targeting the highend buyers Nvidia is and yet AMD fans think Polaris 10 is going to be on par with GTX 1080?

Lower end Polaris should be able to be the "VR Sweetspot"... Higher end Polaris will probably be the 1440p sweetspot and maybe 4K sweet spot.

To be perfectly honest I just want a card that won't cost an arm and a leg and be able to run old and current games at 1440p with  at least 50fps+ at high or ultra settings. I expect the 480X to be that card that has about R9 390X performance at about 380X cost.

Maybe Polaris 10 won't be bleeding edge fast for anything above 1440p, but do you really think Pascal will be able to pull that off either? Vega, Navi and Volta will all be better for anything above 1440p.

The 490X will probably be what the GTX 1080 is to the 980ti. 

Just now, wcreek said:

Lower end Polaris should be able to be the "VR Sweetspot"... Higher end Polaris will probably be the 1440p sweetspot and maybe 4K sweet spot.

To be perfectly honest I just want a card that won't cost an arm and a leg and be able to run old and current games at 1440p with  at least 50fps+ at high or ultra settings. I expect the 480X to be that card that has about R9 390X performance at about 380X cost.

Maybe Polaris 10 won't be bleeding edge fast for anything above 1440p, but do you really think Pascal will be able to pull that off either? Vega, Navi and Volta will all be better for anything above 1440p.

I mean I'm hoping Polaris 10 will be a big deal because I expect the 1080 to sell for $600 and if I'm spending that much I want to see what Vega 11 will have to offer before pulling the trigger. And a strong Polaris 10 would imply Vega 11 would be worth waiting for. I'm just not seeing all this 980 Ti / Fury X level hype based on how AMD is marketing the chip. Maybe they're playing possum a little to try to get Nvidia to launch with really high prices thinking they have the market to themselves, but at the size difference between the chips AMD would have really kill on their IPC to catch GP104 even with the leaks that make it sound like Pascal IPC is nothing special.

2 minutes ago, wcreek said:

Pascal wasn't announced as a solely low to mid-tier architecture so it might have an edge. Vega will compete with high-end Pascal cards and Polaris will compete with all other Pascal GPUs. Navi and Volta should be their own thing, but we still have quite some time until we get there.

1 minute ago, crisro996 said:

Pascal wasn't announced as a solely low to mid-tier architecture so it might have an edge. Vega will compete with high-end Pascal cards and Polaris will compete with all other Pascal GPUs. Navi and Volta should be their own thing, but we still have quite some time until we get there.

But is that edge actually going to justify its price. 

5 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I mean I'm hoping Polaris 10 will be a big deal because I expect the 1080 to sell for $600 and if I'm spending that much I want to see what Vega 11 will have to offer before pulling the trigger. And a strong Polaris 10 would imply Vega 11 would be worth waiting for. I'm just not seeing all this 980 Ti / Fury X level hype based on how AMD is marketing the chip. Maybe they're playing possum a little to try to get Nvidia to launch with really high prices thinking they have the market to themselves, but at the size difference between the chips AMD would have really kill on their IPC to catch GP104 even with the leaks that make it sound like Pascal IPC is nothing special.

I do too. But then again I don't have much interest in Nvidia because AMD you can get something that performs about the same or very similar for a fair bit less.

15 minutes ago, wcreek said:

But is that edge actually going to justify its price. 

Most probably not, but that wasn't my point. I just meant to say that Pascal will most probably have an edge (performance-wise) over AMD's offerings up until Vega is released early next year. That would be the best time to buy a high-end GPU, I guess.

Nvidia might put a high initial price for their top card if they believe AMD have nothing that can compete with it. At least until Vega is launched, then they can lower their prices and match AMD's (or at least be close, we're talking about nVidia after all xD).

On 2016-05-05 at 0:32 PM, asim1999 said:

According the Videocardz, and overclocked 980 Ti scores around the same as the new 1080 with around 8700 points on Firestrike Extreme. So 980 Ti users who are holding their breath and wanted to upgrade, there is now more reason to keep your card for longer

Also NVIDIA has officially teased the new cooler design that was rumoured. Love it or hate it, it is confirmed for the reference cards:

Also NVIDIA has confirmed the GTX 1080 launch for tomorrow:

Please leave your comments below and let me know what you think!

Sources:

http://videocardz.com/59572/nvidia-special-event-may-6th-geforce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-announcement

http://videocardz.com/59583/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-cooler-confirmed

http://videocardz.com/59558/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-3dmark-benchmarks

dat clockspeed tho...1860mhz and it barely match my 1450mhz GTX 980ti...pfff...they can KEEP IT!! LOL :P

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR