Goodbye ChromeBook Pixel, GoodBye Nexus 9. We don't love you

AlTech

Google has removed the entry level Chromebook Pixel 2nd Gen and the Nexus 9 from their online store.

The only option for Chromebook Pixel left is the i7 model with 16GB RAM and 64GB storage. This is absolutely ridiculous. and frankly so was Chromebook pixel idea and the Nexus 9.

It was only a matter of time before Chromebook Pixel, the expensive yet powerful notebook would be shelved off, and be replaced with something better and cheaper. Well, turns out that thanks to the efforts of HP and Google, a powerful and cheaper Chromebook 13 has been introduced, which pretty much makes the existence of Chromebook Pixel unnecessary.

Now, Chromebook Pixel is not something that should be hammered on just because it was an expensive Chromebook. For the longest time, manufacturers have skimped out on making such notebooks powerful, which meant that while these were affordable and provided a crazy amount of battery life, low-end hardware was the primary cause of concern.

We are certain that Chromebook Pixel was not created in order to garner as many sales as possible, but it was made to see what kind of response the public would give to something like an expensive Chromebook that did not compromise out on providing you with high-end hardware and other useful connectivity ports. In short, it was probably made as a stepping stone for something greater.

Oh well. Whatever Google.

http://wccftech.com/chromebook-pixel-no-more/

http://wccftech.com/nexus-9-has-been-taken-off-the-shelf-from-google/

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

What was their logic for putting an i7 into a Chromebook? What's going to use all that horsepower, the Android apps?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

1 minute ago, Fgtfv567 said:

What was their logic for putting an i7 into a Chromebook? What's going to use all that horsepower, the Android apps?

It was a "because we can" thing. I think Google Employees use Chromebook Pixels.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

46 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It was a "because we can" thing. I think Google Employees use Chromebook Pixels.

They were so concerned with if they could, they didn't stop to think if they should...

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

They probably removed it because of that new Chromebook they designed together with HP, is most likely a replacement for the Pixel.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

okay °_°

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

35 minutes ago, crisro996 said:

People actually use Chromebooks?

Chromebooks are very popular. The Pixel was a stupid idea though. People buy them because they are cheap, and the Pixel was expensive as balls. 

9 hours ago, Jon1764 said:

I don't see the logic in paying almost $1000 for a Chromebook, for that price I could get a high end Windows laptop which can do everything a Chromebook can do.

Or even build a beast PC for $1000

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

19 minutes ago, asim1999 said:

Or even build a beast PC for $1000

Well this is LinusTechTips.com after all. So why not build DIY whatever you need? Lol. If I did a DIY Phone with i7 and 16GB RAM but like 10 minutes of battery :D 

I liked the pixel, it was a nice laptop.

Chrome OS is kinda a shame, though.

And everyone is wondering why it exists, it's made to show off chrome OS. It's also for developing, generally.

It's google's idea of the perfect chromebook

The pixel is a proof of concept, so go figure. @LAwLz

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

12 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

given how unoptimized android can be. It was probably there to make the OS run smooth regardless of how many things that are running.

1 hour ago, cesrai said:

The pixel is a proof of concept, so go figure. @LAwLz

A proof of what concept? That high end Chromebooks are stupid?

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

given how unoptimized android can be. It was probably there to make the OS run smooth regardless of how many things that are running.

ChromeOS is not Android. It would actually be better if it was.

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

oh, well that just makes me sad.

i mean, given how decent android apps are for productivity stuff these days, atleast basic on the go productivity, a device with some better hardware and longer battery lifespan would go a damn long way in improving the usability.

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

From what I understood that it's a proof of concept of what a chrombook can be and what features it can offer, as the the first pixel had the first touch screen on a chrombook and such. It's just google showing people what features and possibilities ( not sure if correctly used in this context ) that chrombooks can pack.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

2 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

I liked the pixel, it was a nice laptop.

Chrome OS is kinda a shame, though.

And everyone is wondering why it exists, it's made to show off chrome OS. It's also for developing, generally.

It's google's idea of the perfect chromebook

24 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

8 hours ago, crisro996 said:

People actually use Chromebooks?

14 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

11 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'm still not understanding what kind of dick measuring contest a Chromebook with an i7 would have started in the first place.

you could put linux on a chromebook pretty easily

14 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

they use macs

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

The Nexus 9 was way better than the garbage that is called the Pixel C.

Sure it was too expensive on launch, but once the build quality issues were sorted out and the price had dropped to $299, it was actually a decent buy.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

38 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

That still doesn't justify its asking price.

How doesn't it ? It's a nice laptop, from specs to build.

The Pixel existed as a proof of concept, and that concept was that we can have not-shit tier Chromebooks. Now that we're starting to see some fantastic chromebooks, it simply isn't needed. The HP Chromebook 13 serves as its replacement.

The Nexus 9 was... Well, it was just mediocre. It wasn't worth the $400 asking price, and I think the Pixel C is pretty much its direct replacement.

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

oh, well that just makes me sad.

i mean, given how decent android apps are for productivity stuff these days, atleast basic on the go productivity, a device with some better hardware and longer battery lifespan would go a damn long way in improving the usability.

Rumors has it that they will merge ChromeOS and Android. Right now ChromeOS is basically just Chrome. The only programs you can install are the regular Chrome extensions.

If the rumors are true then you will be able to run Android apps on Chromebooks, which would make them x100 more useful.

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

you could put linux on a chromebook pretty easily

Well yeah, but that was never the intention. The entire point was to sell cheap laptops that encourages/forces users to use Google services.

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

they use macs

Google employees get to choose (for their laptops at least). Macbook, Chromebook or a GNU/Linux laptop (from what I've heard it used to be ThinkPads but that might have changed). The GNU/Linux laptops runs "Goobuntu", Google's own Ubuntu fork. They are free to use whatever they want though, but they heavily encourages the use of Goobuntu and OS X (you are only allowed to use Windows with specific improvement from a CIO, for security reasons).