Microsoft's profits have dropped by 25%

firestronk

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/21/technology/microsoft-earnings/index.html?iid=hp-toplead-dom

http://tech.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/corporate/microsoft-profits-drop-25-to-3-76bn-while-revenue-dips-6-to-20-5bn/51937567

The software giant posted lower than expected earnings and profits for the latest quarter, sending shares down more than 4% in after-hours trading.

This is not good for Microsoft, but in the end they will probably make a recovery like they usually have.

Profit
First quarter of 2015: $5 billion
First quarter of 2016: $3.8 billion

Sales were impacted by the ever-shrinking PC market and, again, the impact of the strong dollar.

The mobile market seems to be getting stronger and stronger compared to to the PC market. I'm expecting the pc market to keep shrinking with mobile phones getting better and more up to date hardware.

Windows-based PCs have fallen from a 95% market share a decade ago to 90% today, according to Morningstar. That's thanks to the rise of mobile devices and software from competitors like Apple (AAPL, Tech30) and Google (GOOGL, Tech30).

What do you guys think of this? Do you think that the market will keep shrinking with the rise of mobile phones/tablets?

Edited by tobben
Fixed formatting ;)

4 minutes ago, PhoenixArising said:

What do you guys think of this? Do you think that the market will keep shrinking with the rise of mobile phones/tablets? 

That is one factor

the other is that aside from gamers, and editors, a 5 year old laptop is still good enough for general browsing and documents for the average joe

There is no reason for people to go buy new PCs and Laptops 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Holy shit that text formatting and colour.

Sorry about the color lol. I use the dark theme and plus the automatic color thing is setting different colors for the text.

4 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

That is one factor

the other is that aside from gamers, and editors, a 5 year old laptop is still good enough for general browsing and documents for the average joe

There is no reason for people to go buy new PCs and Laptops 

True

I'm sure they'll go back up when they start selling scrolling advertisement banner space along the task bar lol  

6 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

You should still fix that color.

what is wrong with it, it looks fine to me

what did you expect if you just give out free shit

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

To be a bit more exact:

• Productivity and Business Processes division grew by 1% bringing in: $6.5 billion
  • Windows sales are down, but the dropped slowed down compared to before, at only 2% drop.
  • Surface revenue is up to $1.1 billion this quarter. Still no sales numbers are given, but it is clear that the Surface Pro 4 and Book are selling very well. This is an increase of 61% from the same period last year.
  • Microsoft only sold 2.3 million Lumia devices Q3 compared to 8.6 million last year. This is expected as Microsoft is not pushing Windows 10 Mobile on it, however, Microsoft is full force releasing new builds twice or three times a month. Clearly Microsoft is preparing for a revive of the Mobile OS, and wants to come in with a good first impression..
  • Office commercial and cloud services grew 7%
  • Consumer versions of Office also grew 6%, making a total of 22.2 million people (consumers) using its Office 365
  • Azure revenue increased by 120 percent
  • XBox Live grew 26%

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/21/11477446/microsoft-earnings-report-q3-2016

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-q3-fy2016-earnings-38bn-net-income-on-205bn-revenue?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+neowin-main+%28Neowin+News%29

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

snip

• Microsoft only sold 2.3 million Lumia devices Q3 compared to 8.6 million last year. This is expected as Microsoft is not pushing Windows 10 Mobile on it, however, Microsoft is full force releasing new builds twice or three times a month. Clearly Microsoft is preparing for a revive of the Mobile OS, and wants to come in with a good first impression..

Microsoft appears to be killing the Lumia line and trying to start fresh with a new line, aka Surface-like branding. I think it is the best move at this point. 

All the people who profess their love for Windows Phone keep spewing doom-and-gloom, but Microsoft was very clear at the launch of the 950/XL that the phone was to appease the current fans.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

@PhoenixArising Please fix the formatting asap. It's unreadable for Standard Theme users. Highlight all the text and select "Automatic" for the font colour. Otherwise, highlight everything and select "Remove Formatting" buttom (The T with the tiny x).

On topic: Microsoft is pushing software as a service more and more, with subscriptions like Office 365 offering really good value for people who upgrade often anyway, and lowering the price of entry for those wanting to get Office (They might be able to afford $99 a year, but not the $400 upfront to get the professional suite of office apps, for example).

I also think that we should see a resurgence in sales with Windows Mobile once they release the so-called "Surface" Phone. Surface branding has otherwise done very well for Microsoft.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

To be a bit more exact:

DAMMMNN GoodBytes, back again with that information!

I was suspecting the loss was from free Win10. Even though I doubt that made any real difference.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Well people don't need to buy new PCs/laptops every few months like some idiots buy smartphones to high price to open their crappy apps 0.01s faster.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

12 hours ago, Ekin said:

elkX41h.png

This is what a standard theme user sees :/

OOO GOD xD good to know standard theme users get the same problem as black theme users

11 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

To be a bit more exact:

• Productivity and Business Processes division grew by 1% bringing in: $6.5 billion
  • Windows sales are down, but the dropped slowed down compared to before, at only 2% drop.
  • Surface revenue is up to $1.1 billion this quarter. Still no sales numbers are given, but it is clear that the Surface Pro 4 and Book are selling very well. This is an increase of 61% from the same period last year.
  • Office commercial and cloud services grew 7%
  • Consumer versions of Office also grew 6%, making a total of 22.2 million people (consumers) using its Office 365
  • Azure revenue increased by 120 percent
  • XBox Live grew 26%

Source:

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/21/11477446/microsoft-earnings-report-q3-2016

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-q3-fy2016-earnings-38bn-net-income-on-205bn-revenue?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+neowin-main+%28Neowin+News%29

Even with all their revenues going up, their profits are going to keep going down with the shrinking pc market and stronger US dollar