ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

I don't, I usually just touch metal parts of my case everyonce and a while.

DO NOT BUILD ON CARPET.

HEY YA'LL WATCH THIS!

201308161418_1376680708.622593.gif

Because he had a hard drive.

Uh.. wut

This is my thinking when I saw the amount of people NOT using the Wrist Strap

This is my thinking when I saw the amount of people NOT using the Wrist Strap

Oh.. Haha :P

Oh.. Haha :P

I live in the South so this is commonish

They are pretty stupid and unnecessary. Just get the static you have on you out on the case and save a couple bucks. 

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

build your pc naked, no static

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

I leave my psu plugued in but turned off and touch it once in a while to discharge myself from static electricity.

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

I just touch large metal objects once in a while before I have the psu in, and plugged into an outlet. (about every 7 min)

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

if you install the psu first, and plug it into the wall without turning it on, it grounds the case. Touch it for a second and ground yourself. And I don't ever build a pc on carpet. Tile or wood floors if at all possible.

Oh and I'm naked.

Been building on Carpet for years without a bracelet. To create a big enough charge you would need to run across the floor dragging your feet. This is dependent on humidity of course. If you are in a very dry room you have a greater chance of creating discharge. If it is humid your chances depreciate significantly.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I've never used an anti-static wrist strap when working on components, but I am careful about static electricity. So far I have been able to avoid ruining a single component due to static.

No. My rig building activities take place at the table next to our deck outside. Inside is hardwood floors on concrete, and I've never had an issue with static charges as of yet *knock on wood* lol

GW2: Vettexl.9726

I like to live dangerously. 

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

Nope. Kinda a waste of money to me. Hardware nowadays is so much more reliable than it used to be.

As long as you take the obvious precautions, you won't damage any parts. Anti-static wrist straps are only necessary in my opinion, when you build machines for other people.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

I used one ONCE during an IT course a decade ago, never before and never since. Been building my own rigs since '96 to boot.

At my old place, I didn't have much to worry about as the floor in my room was hardwood (pine), the floor in the living room, kitchen and backroom was lino-covered hardwood, floor in the front room was carpet-tile covered hardwood. Now in the current place it's like 60 year-old 'roll' carpet that's well and truly compacted.

No mater the floor of the room I'm working in though, I get the PSU mounted in the chassis, plug that into a power point that's turned off at the wall, and discharge myself through touching the chassis if I have to leave the system alone for more than like 5 minutes (such as to grab a drink). If working at a table where I can sit down and have the guts of the system and my tools within arms reach at all times, I'll discharge as I sit down, then pull my feet up off the floor, only getting up if need to reach beyond sitting-arms reach. Not lost a system to ESD around yet.