ESD/Anti-Static Protection

TheMidnightNarwhal

i've touched my computer without an anti-static strap for a year now and it's all fine. you essentially don't need one unless you rub your socks on the carpet and touch your PC. i even work on my PC on carpet. nothing is wrong with it.

Never use a grounding strap. I just keep the power cord plugged in with the power off.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

That my prevention without wasting 20$ on BS.

Well I wouldnt call them bs.....

i just keep my skin touching the metal of the case. keeps me grounded. if im just doing a quick swap i just do it on the carpet. but if im actually doing anything major, ill put it on the table, and not touch the ground at all lol

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I just ground myself, but I plan on buying one next time I work on a PC.

Never have and don't see myself ever using one.

i bought one a month ago for 2.40 euros i was just obsessed and i used to ground myself every 3 mins so it was the only choice for me 

Nope. If you install your PSU to the case first and making sure that it is turned off, your case is grounded and then anything that touches the case will be too, including yourself. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I don't. Just ground myself on my case. I wonder if linus actually wears one when he says it's on his ankle, after all he is handling high end hardware.

Here's a question, how many of you have fried components because you won't use one?

Anti-static what?

No.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

I simply touch the metal on my computer case to ground myself everytime, I never use a anti-static wrist strap but as long as you ground yourself to metal you'll be fine.

Nope.

I own one. Never used it.
I just touch a PSU that's plugged in and that's that.

I also don't work anywhere near carpet and choose the type of clothes I wear carefully to make sure they don't generate static electicity while I move around.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I touch the upainted part of the heater, in order to get grounded.

Been building since dark ages 87-ish, just grab a hunk of Bare metal and you're golden. Worst no grounded event luckily not me guy dressed in wool who placed a new motherboard in case then dropped. His screwdriver in.

Using Tapatalk

No need. Just make sure you're not working on carpet and touch your case as often as possible.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

No, I've never really shocked a component. I'll just touch a part of the case made of metal every once in a while. However I never change out parts on carpet or anything, usually tile. All depends on what you're doing/how much of a worry wart you are

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

No need. Just make sure you're not working on carpet and touch your case as often as possible.

No, I've never really shocked a component. I'll just touch a part of the case made of metal every once in a while. However I never change out parts on carpet or anything, usually tile. All depends on what you're doing/how much of a worry wart you are

Nope.

I own one. Never used it.

I just touch a PSU that's plugged in and that's that.

I also don't work anywhere near carpet and choose the type of clothes I wear carefully to make sure they don't generate static electicity while I move around.

Sadly I don't have this option available, as stated in the OP, my new flat is carpetted throughout

Would just touching a plugged in but switched off PSU every couple of minutes work?

Should I wear rubber soled shoes?

No, I'm more of a stubborn pollock (polish person) that pretty much learns from my own mistakes so I guess once I short/break something from static I'll start wearing one, but I don't have one as of now.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Sadly I don't have this option available, as stated in the OP, my new flat is carpetted throughout

Would just touching a plugged in but switched off PSU every couple of minutes work?

Should I wear rubber soled shoes?

Sorry about that! Shoes would help not build up static, you could also just be barefoot. Just don't wear socks :) And touching anything metal before picking up a component is what I do, and I haven't shocked anything in the 5 years I've been tinkering with PCs.

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I just touch my case or some other metal and try not to rub my feet on the carpet with my woolen slippers on. So far I hadn't had ANY issues with static electricity...

I got the Anti Static strap for free from a store when I purchased some parts so I always use it.

But the other methods work just fine

I don't typically but my travel kit has one. The reason I don't is because i have an old PSU that's always plugged in for testing fans, bleeding loops, ect that is always nearby so I just touch that every now and then.

I don't, I usually just touch metal parts of my case everyonce and a while.

DO NOT BUILD ON CARPET.