AMD Zen 8 core engineering sample runs at 3GHz

Doobeedoo
26 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

Zen is gonna be outdated at release not haswell. You have trouble with reading? Benchmarks will be held against skylake, we can can already predict amd will be behind - as always. Not excited for this line up. They better focus on gpu's instead crippling behind intel for taking too long with their releases. 

5960x is what the 8 core Zen should be like. they are set to release broadwell soon but skylake is at least a year away.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

24 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

5960x is what the 8 core Zen should be like. they are set to release broadwell soon but skylake is at least a year away.

Around when Zen releases - Skylake-E will be not too far away as well.  Broadwell-E is around April right now.  Skylake-E is supposedly set late Q1 2017.

Zen will be competing with Kaby Lake and Broadwell-E then. And I think it will offer better cost competitiveness over Broadwell-E and better scaling and expandabilty over Kaby Lake. So, I think there'll definitely be a market for the Zen family, and I think it will come largely from AMD challenging Intel's heavy segmentation of the consumer market (e.g. certain skus arbitrarily having locked multipliers, hyperthreading, and needing an entirely separate platform to have more than 4 CPU cores) rather than raw performance.

I want Intel to have a reason to innovate outside of mobile again.

My wish is not looking too good.

15 minutes ago, Rune said:

I'm sure @patrickjp93 will pop in on this comment, but Intel does innovate a lot, and it's almost all in their Enterprise and Data-Center offerings, and that ends up trickling down to the consumer platform after it gets a run or two in the Enthusiast lines.  They're coming out with six-channel memory for Skylake-E as well as larger PCIE lane configurations.  Intel Optane for storage innovation, NVDIMM, support for Freesync, more powerful iGPU solutions in both consumer and their Xeon lines.  They're tightening latency even the tiniest of bits in their pipelines and refining most everything they can on all levels.  Not to mention while creating and paving the way for the breakthroughs of 10nm, 7nm, which really will be incredible on Silicone if they manage it, but I hope they'll have a fusion of Germanium or something.

They're innovating a lot, in short.  We have AVX2-512 coming along with Skylake-E, more L4 cache enhancements in the future, and eventually inverse multi-threading, as well as 4-way SMT.  AVX512 and 4-way SMT would be the biggest boons.  Theoretical doubling of IPC, L4 cache with a turned off iGPU to further enhance the system cache in all areas, and then a 4-core with sixteen threads--that'd be pretty perfect.

8 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

I'm sure @patrickjp93 will pop in on this comment, but Intel does innovate a lot, and it's almost all in their Enterprise and Data-Center offerings, and that ends up trickling down to the consumer platform after it gets a run or two in the Enthusiast lines.  They're coming out with six-channel memory for Skylake-E as well as larger PCIE lane configurations.  Intel Optane for storage innovation, NVDIMM, support for Freesync, more powerful iGPU solutions in both consumer and their Xeon lines.  They're tightening latency even the tiniest of bits in their pipelines and refining most everything they can on all levels.  Not to mention while creating and paving the way for the breakthroughs of 10nm, 7nm, which really will be incredible on Silicone if they manage it, but I hope they'll have a fusion of Germanium or something.

They're innovating a lot, in short.  We have AVX2-512 coming along with Skylake-E, more L4 cache enhancements in the future, and eventually inverse multi-threading, as well as 4-way SMT.  AVX512 and 4-way SMT would be the biggest boons.  Theoretical doubling of IPC, L4 cache with a turned off iGPU to further enhance the system cache in all areas, and then a 4-core with sixteen threads--that'd be pretty perfect.

Let me rephrase then: I care less about features and more about IPC improvements I suppose. Native usb c and more pci-e lanes for stuff like m.2 are nice, but I won't be upgrading my 4770k for them. Perhaps I am just impatient and am hoping AMD pushes them into releasing things faster ;)

Edit: In addition, Intel engineers are still godly tier. I just don't like the direction they are being pushed :P

Just now, Rune said:

Let me rephrase then: I care less about features and more about IPC improvements I suppose. Native usb c and more pci-e lanes for stuff like m.2 are nice, but I won't be upgrading my 4770k for them. Perhaps I am just impatient and am hoping AMD pushes them into releasing things faster ;)

Oh.  In terms of IPC we're pretty much hitting the wall.  We probably have 35%(at best) remaining in pure IPC with silicon.  Without pipeline and coding optimization through cache and instruction sets--it's just 35% at best, but with AVX512 and proper coding--we could have a doubling in IPC or more as optimization for threads / cache starts to take effect, but yeah.  That 4770k is pretty much your main CPU for the next five years.  It'll likely last well unless multi-threaded coding becomes huge.

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

eTeknix calls is "a leak", Bits&Chips calls it "speculation" - yay for journalism, NOT! :dry:

Chips and cola

AMD-Zen-Summit-Ridge-CPUs-benchmarks-3.p

2 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Since when was Haswell outdated? I mean, shit, still plenty of people out there doing just fine on Phenom II's and Bulldozer, so I definitely fail to see how Haswell is outdated.

Of course you fail to see it. You aren't a true member of the PC Master Race that already has Cannonlake Engineering Samples. Haswell and Zen are already obsolete. Oh, and #AMDeadConfirmed.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Zen will be competing with Kaby Lake and Broadwell-E then. And I think it will offer better cost competitiveness over Broadwell-E and better scaling and expandabilty over Kaby Lake. So, I think there'll definitely be a market for the Zen family, and I think it will come largely from AMD challenging Intel's heavy segmentation of the consumer market (e.g. certain skus arbitrarily having locked multipliers, hyperthreading, and needing an entirely separate platform to have more than 4 CPU cores) rather than raw performance.

AMD doesn't allow all SKUs to be overclocked either. In fact most of them outside the FX series are locked.

47 minutes ago, Rune said:

As if to say IBM Power 8 and Oracle Sparc M7 aren't pressuring it from the HPC arena (which does trickle down to consumer space btw).

2 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

Chips and cola

(snip_

AMD Being barely above Ivy Bridge with lesser MT scaling? Sounds about right. Theoretically the best they could do was 3-4% above Haswell.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

47 minutes ago, SparkyRain said:

Chips and cola

and?!

that screenshot is nowhere mentioned in either the source (Bits&Chips speculation) not in eTeknix's crap article - doesn't make eTeknix shitpost less shitty because that image exists

49 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

AMD Being barely above Ivy Bridge with lesser MT scaling? Sounds about right. Theoretically the best they could do was 3-4% above Haswell.

lol, if nothing else the Zen chip is 2.2 times the FX 8350. So atleast some progress has been made.

Still though, remains to see how well it does in gaming. Sure it may lose in this test but that doesnt translate into how it performs in games, which will be the most important market for AMD in the beginning.

Only going to be Zen... not Now ;)

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler

Laptop: Dell Alienware 15 2015

CPU: i7-4720HQ CPU

Memory: 16GB DDR3 SODIMM RAM

Storage: 256GB M.2 SSD

Storage: 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" HDD

Screen: 15.6" FHD Display

Video Card: Nvidia GTX 970M with 3GB

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Project: Spartan 1.2 PLEASE SUPPORT ME NEW CHANNEL > Tech Inquisition

Everyone crying about this chip not being fast enough and not taking into account that this in an 8-core chip with better IPC than Haswell. That effectively makes it better than 5960X and directly competing with Broadwell-E, all on a consumer chip. So quit crying that a company, with a fraction of the budget of Intel, is still able to make CPU's that can directly compete with it. Im rooting for the underdog and some real competition.   

I build PCs as a hobby. 

3 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Around when Zen releases - Skylake-E will be not too far away as well.  Broadwell-E is around April right now.  Skylake-E is supposedly set late Q1 2017.

I dont think skylake will be out till 2018, and it also some down to pricing all that matters is if AMD sells a part that can compete or be better in its given price tiers. also zens server parts go to 32 cores if i remember correctly which should be awesome. intel is just releaseing 22 core CPU's

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

17 hours ago, Sakkura said:

The fastest 8-core Broadwell-EP chip has a base clock of 2.6 GHz (on a 135W TDP). You can't compare with the FX CPUs since they use CMT rather than SMT, and have far lower IPC.

Also, the FX series has a long pipeline, which is why it clocks so high and one of the reasons for its IPC blowing so bad.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

13 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

That's only when those few powerful players cooperate. Intel and Nvidia hate each other and would try their damn hardest to rip each other to pieces.

And it's the best thing for the industry. Intel releases tons of its patents every year. AMD and Nvidia don't. That's one huge reason the GPU market is so closed up. They're both incredible patent trolls. When was the last time you heard of Intel suing someone for the design of an instruction or circuit? It would be best for the market for AMD to step aside rather than just struggling along (which will continue in spite of any fan's delusions).

In the era where software isn't evolving and SISD instructions are already optimized near to their theoretical lowest possible latencies, rating by GHz is MORE accurate than it was in the old days. If software starts evolving again, then sure, it goes away.

Intel themselves are actually the reason AMD even started making CPU at all, and in fact, all of the other CPU manufacturers from the 90's were able to use the same/similar designs, leading to multiple companies making 386 and 486 processors. Including Texas Instruments (mentioned specifically because I have one of their 486 DX 100 with its stock cooler, and who still use the old Zlog 80 in their calculators).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

9 hours ago, SparkyRain said:

Zen is gonna be outdated at release not haswell. You have trouble with reading? Benchmarks will be held against skylake, we can can already predict amd will be behind - as always. Not excited for this line up. They better focus on gpu's instead crippling behind intel for taking too long with their releases. 

so where did you buy your 8 core Skylake CPU  and motherboard?  because if i was interested n 4 cores id be all over intel but i want 6-8 cores at a minimum which is why im waiting  if they can outperform haswellE but offer me the features of the bdw-e boards at a price that is slightly lower im happy

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

There is a lot of speculation going on, and to be realistic we don't have the info to reliably predict where Zen might end up. We throw around IPC like it sums up a whole CPU. In reality, different areas will have different strengths and weaknesses. Arguing over if it should be compared to Haswell or Skylake is not too critical, due to the relatively small IPC difference between them.

From my personal perspective, I'm most interested in FPU IPC, and current indicators are that each "core" will be about half that of an Intel, which is still a lot better than what you can get from AMD today. For me, a hypothetical 8 core Zen might only perform as well as a current Intel quad. It could well be, in other instructions they are much more IPC per core competitive, and in those areas they'll go beyond Intel quads. When looking at reviews we will have to see how it performs in different tasks.

HT will be another unknown. In the best case I've seen, an Intel HT core is worth about 50% of a "real" core e.g. in best case today, a 4 core with HT might perform like a similar 6 core without HT. How AMD's implementation will scale is a total unknown to us.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

42 minutes ago, Eroda said:

so where did you buy your 8 core Skylake CPU  and motherboard?  because if i was interested n 4 cores id be all over intel but i want 6-8 cores at a minimum which is why im waiting  if they can outperform haswellE but offer me the features of the bdw-e boards at a price that is slightly lower im happy

Good for you?? I don't see your build decisions being relevant to me. 

15 hours ago, Ren said:

"Then came the 9xxx series, for overclockers, which was kinda a mistake.  The 8320=9370 & 8350=9590 just factory OCed."

'Pretty sure the 9370 and 9590 were sort of equivalent to an Intel i7-5930k in terms of their place on the board', as in their SKU. They are not simply overclocked Bulldozer+ FX-8000 processors. They were sold as prosumer+ chips, like the 5930k and such. And more than just "on average" they have higher IPC than FX-8000/6000/4000. The only chip I know of that can beat them in IPC from AMD are the 860k/7860k+ (most recent 4-core FM2+ Excavators).

no. they do no have "higher IPC"....

Here, let me show you

4.8GHz 8320e (Low power binned chip) vs 5GHz 9590

http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1403?vs=1289

IPC is dictated by Architecture. you do not bin for "higher IPC". The differences between one chip or the other, of the same architecture, in terms of IPC output is marginal. Hell i would dare suggest the difference is within margin of error or most measuring systems.

You bin for lower power and higher frequencies. The FX 9590 is the pinnacle of "most frequency at lowest possible voltage out of the box". And even then it is ridiculously hot.

23 hours ago, Ren said:

"Then came the 9xxx series, for overclockers, which was kinda a mistake.  The 8320=9370 & 8350=9590 just factory OCed."

'Pretty sure the 9370 and 9590 were sort of equivalent to an Intel i7-5930k in terms of their place on the board', as in their SKU. They are not simply overclocked Bulldozer+ FX-8000 processors. They were sold as prosumer+ chips, like the 5930k and such. And more than just "on average" they have higher IPC than FX-8000/6000/4000. The only chip I know of that can beat them in IPC from AMD are the 860k/7860k+ (most recent 4-core FM2+ Excavators).

There is so much wrong with this statement I don't know where to start, but I guess I'll have to start somewhere....

#1 the fx 9370 and 9590 are Vishera parts. What this means is AMD took the 8300 series and binned them to find the high clocking parts. They are based on vishera not steamroller or excavator and so have the SAME IPC as the 8300 series. They are basically factory overclocked 8300 series CPUs with ridiculously high TDPs.

#2 You are obviously getting your AMD stuff mixed up pretty badly... The 860k and 7860k are not excavator but Godavari, or Kaveri Refresh, and are based on Steamroller, not Excavator. The only chips based on Excavator are AMD's Carrizo mobile CPUs and the Athlon x4 845. 

#3 There are a lot of AMD chips that beat the 9000 series in ipc. All Kaveri chips (Athlon 800 series and 7000 series APUs, there could be more of em) as well as excavator chips beat em, and there are a lot of Kaveri and Carrizo chips out there.

Pleade do your research before making blind statements!

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

23 hours ago, Ren said:

Forgot to post that I expect:

Low voltage and standard parts for desktop.

8C/T, 95W, 3.7-4.2ghz turbo. OCing to 4.6+. Pricing at $339.99

8C/T, 65W, 2.9-3.3ghz turbo. Why would you OC? Pricing at $269.99

4-core chips that run at same wattage but higher default clocks, lower turbo. OC probably far more mild. $129.99-$179.99

No idea what to expect below $120-$150.

I am almost 100% sure AMD plans to try and sell as many low-end and top-end + low voltage parts as possible. The middle-of-the-road shit, i.e. ~i5 territory, they'd probably leave alone. I also expect them to go deep on OEM sales in return for what they will fail to sell to consumers initially. I hope they plan on buying some advertisement on television and such for this event as well..

AMD wouldn't price that aggressively unless Zen is worse than skylake and Broadwell e by a fair margin. If Zen is worse, no one will buy it. If zen is as good, AMD will probably price it just below Intel. If they price it super low Intel will just lower their prices by a lot to compete with AMD, and AMD loses. Chances are the 8 core parts would be 500 bucks and higher if you ask me. Also, remember they will have 16 threads.

I personally think the 6 cores would be the product to get. They would probably be around 300 bucks ish.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

If they price it super low Intel will just lower their prices by a lot to compete with AMD, and AMD loses.

Depends.. if they want AMD to die.