PlayStation 4K to be released before PlayStation VR

Djole123

So, rumors say more and more info about the PS 4.5 (4K).

Even though PS 4.5 is not quite that official, it is rumored to be released before PlayStation VR. It will have more power than the last one and it will be kinda designed for VR.

That is kinda expected IMO. It really needs a lot of horsepower to get that VR up and running, especially if Sony doesn't release any games that dip below 60FPS.

Source:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/playstation-4k-4-5-announced-october/

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

i actually hope they'll call it the "playstaton 4 K" over "playstation 4.5"

also, i'm legitimately curious how much more powerful it'll be compared to the old playstation 4. (yes, its old by now, get over it. and for the last time, they're not "next gen consoles" anymore.)

ps: for those that'll rant about hardware revisions, while this may be the biggest console hardware revision to date, go take a look at the PS3 hardware revisions on wikipedia...

I thought the PS4 and Xbone were gimped pcs from the start. The always online Xbone was a cool idea, but the plebs didn't understand it so they rolled back on it :(

I only own an Xbone for my favorite series Gears of War and the exclusive ReCore by Inafune, the guy who made megaman 

As long as it doesn't affect people who currently own a PS4 as far as making the PS4 essentially "last" gen considering I just got my PS4 towards the end of last November.

Which I do agree in terms of most technology 3 years is quite a long time. Though a lot of people still have 1080p or 720p TVs.

I'm going to say something that some people might disagree with but for TVs, 4K doesn't really make sense (at least right now) because there still isn't a lot of content for 4K and if you're further away from the TV the difference becomes lessened, and streaming available 4K requires some pretty fast internet and if you have bandwidth caps 4K would eat through those incredibly fast.

4K would make more sense for a screen you're much closer to. Such as a phone, laptop, desktop or tablet screen.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Has it been confirmed that the current Gen ps4 will even support the Playstation VR, or have they been avoiding that topic because it only actually works on the new one?

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

1 minute ago, AHaskin14 said:

Has it been confirmed that the current Gen ps4 will even support the Playstation VR, or have they been avoiding that topic because it only actually works on the new one?

Honestly though VR is one of those things I don't really get their value at least right now. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

So I would assume they're probably aiming AMDs new APUs for it huh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

Me too, that way it might run at 1080p with 60fps... :o

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Meh... you can polish a turd but it's still a turd. Just a shinier one.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I really hope they don't do this.
There have been many iterations of a console over the years. PS, PS1; PS2, PS2 Slim; PS3, PS3, PS3 slim, PS3 Super Slim. The thing was these revisions never changed the capability of the console. If Sony do this then you're going to have 2 tiers of performance on PS4. Not only does this create disparity between the 2, It makes it difficult for consumers who already have a PS4. It makes it difficult on consumers buying a PS4. It makes it difficult on developers making games for PS4.
If you're developing a game for PS4 do you make it the same and FPS capped and quality nerfed so that it runs the same on both. Do you make the new one look better and have 2 separate trees for both models of hardware. Do you just unlock the frame rate so that the better version runs at a higher frame rate.

If Sony are going to release a new console they need to have the balls to call it a generation and release the new one as the PS5. Just deal with the fact that the hardware they released wasn't up to par with the requirements of the industry and start again. If they want the PS4 generation to live on make the PS5 backward compatible.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

19 minutes ago, SubTract said:

There have been many iterations of a console over the years. PS, PS1; PS2, PS2 Slim; PS3, PS3, PS3 slim, PS3 Super Slim. The thing was these revisions never changed the capability of the console. If Sony do this then you're going to have 2 tiers of performance on PS4. Not only does this create disparity between the 2, It makes it difficult for consumers who already have a PS4. It makes it difficult on consumers buying a PS4. It makes it difficult on developers making games for PS4.
If you're developing a game for PS4 do you make it the same and FPS capped and quality nerfed so that it runs the same on both. Do you make the new one look better and have 2 separate trees for both models of hardware. Do you just unlock the frame rate so that the better version runs at a higher frame rate.

If Sony are going to release a new console they need to have the balls to call it a generation and release the new one as the PS5. Just deal with the fact that the hardware they released wasn't up to par with the requirements of the industry and start again. If they want the PS4 generation to live on make the PS5 backward compatible.

It is easy for Sony to enforce guidelines during the submission process.  Believe me, I know, I've dealt with them for a few games, already.  What PS4K could be is like iPhone 4 "Retina" when it first came out.  Providing that you use the iOS libraries including UIKit, the fonts and UI images will automatically render at higher resolution, whilst preserving the backwards compatibility.

Contrasting this to PS4K, instead of "libraries", game developers use their own game engines.  However, it is easy to enforce the option to render at a higher resolution without having to change the core of anything.  Yes, I am aware that the current console is not powerful enough to even render decent gameplay at 60 FPS, let alone a slightly more powerful version of the console jumping all the way to 4K.

Keep in mind that if a console or any device supports 4K, it does not necessarily mean that all games must output 4K.  It can be based on the game.  For instance, some simpler games such as Tetris may look very nice at 4K resolution, and still perform at 60 FPS.

Another thing to mention is that there is now precedent.  This is in the form of the "New" Nintendo 3DS, while the existing Nintendo 3DS is still an active console.  At the end of the day, if a developer makes a game that uses too many system resources that would cause the game to perform poorly on the original PS4, Sony can reject the game.  Once again, believe me... I am all to familiar with so-called "bugs" that hamper the submission/publishing process. :P

I highly doubt it. It will be 4k capable, doesn't mean it will play games at 4k. The ps4 is selling insanely atm why upgrade it now? 

This is for Netflix and other video streaming apps, perhaps certain less demanding indie games. 

Also being announced just before the psvr release is bs, the uproar from the console community would be astronomical... Psvr is entry level VR , they want the barrier of entry as low as possible relasing another console before would be retarded. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

5 hours ago, werto165 said:

I highly doubt it. It will be 4k capable, doesn't mean it will play games at 4k. The ps4 is selling insanely atm why upgrade it now? 

This is for Netflix and other video streaming apps, perhaps certain less demanding indie games. 

Also being announced just before the psvr release is bs, the uproar from the console community would be astronomical... Psvr is entry level VR , they want the barrier of entry as low as possible relasing another console before would be retarded. 

what type of games would run on a Ps4 in VR?? bugger all especially when they require 60fps and if your game drops below that then sony wont let you sell it on their console

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

13 hours ago, DaltonM said:

I thought the PS4 and Xbone were gimped pcs from the start. The always online Xbone was a cool idea, but the plebs didn't understand it so they rolled back on it :(

I only own an Xbone for my favorite series Gears of War and the exclusive ReCore by Inafune, the guy who made megaman 

Sorry to burst your bubble but ReCore is no longer xbone exclusive http://www.engadget.com/2016/01/04/mysterious-adventure-game-recore-heads-to-pc-too/

15 hours ago, manikyath said:

also, i'm legitimately curious how much more powerful it'll be compared to the old playstation 4. (yes, its old by now, get over it. and for the last time, they're not "next gen consoles" anymore.)

ps: for those that'll rant about hardware revisions, while this may be the biggest console hardware revision to date, go take a look at the PS3 hardware revisions on wikipedia...

I highly doubt it'll be more powerful at all, for reasons described already. Yes, older generations of consoles have had hardware revisions. But no, those revisions didn't change performance in any meaningful way. PS3 in particular. An original Pre-Order PS3, very first iteration, performs much the same as the latest iteration superslim PS3. That's kind of one of the biggest points of consoles. Sure, the newest iteration is smaller, outputs less heat, and uses less electricity. Those efficiency gains are great. But the performance is still the same (minus insignificant differences) across the board).

13 hours ago, SubTract said:

I agree.

10 hours ago, raphidy said:

I'll laugh my ass off if they are really just talking about 4k bluray with a slight upgrade of hardware.

That's probably exactly what the PS4K is going to be: A PS4 w/ a 4K blu-ray player, HDMI 2.0, and built-in PSVR. I'm extremely skeptical that they will improve the performance by any meaningful amount, nor would I want them to.

If they want to boost the performance of the PlayStation, then, as @SubTract says, have the balls to just kill the generation and release the PS5.

But then, it doesn't make sense for them to kill the generation right now. If I were Sony (Or Microsoft), I'd seriously be considering Q4 2017 as my next-gen console release. Zen will have dropped, and Polaris and Vega will be out too. They could get AMD to custom engineer a badass APU that would have the CPU and graphics power of a fairly high-end gaming PC. Doing a performance boost now makes no sense, because of how close they are to such a significant change in the hardware market. Not to mention the obvious downsides and potential damage that could result from splitting and segmenting their console generation into tiers.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Even if it could only run at 30FPS, getting 4K to the mainstream is a good thing, generate excitement.

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

So we will go from a 7770 to something like a GTX 580?

Hardly better is it?

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

27 minutes ago, ApolloEleven said:

Even if it could only run at 30FPS, getting 4K to the mainstream is a good thing, generate excitement.

no, it isnt a good thing... valuing something almost no one has (a 4k display) over gameplay experience (60+ fps) is a horrible buisness model

18 hours ago, SubTract said:

Not true. Revised ps1 consoles had faster processors to deal.with slow down in games. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Not to mention the obvious downsides and potential damage that could result from splitting and segmenting their console generation into tiers.

I too doubt that they're crazy enough to do that.  The people at playstation now are the people that suffered through what the 32X and sega CD did to the genesis, so there's no way in my mind they would be gunning for segmenting their market.

I wonder if Sony is doing this in order to try and drive adoption of a media format forward, and how much that could benefit the parent co, cause I just don't get how this is supposed to work for PS and its userbase otherwise(if there is a meaningful perf delta).

2 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Not true. Revised ps1 consoles had faster processors to deal.with slow down in games. 

Do you have a source for this? My preliminary investigations haven't revealed any hardware revisions that gave it a faster processor. Original PSX consoles had issues with the CD-ROM being defective and introducing skipping and stuttering during FMV playback, is that what you meant?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

48 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Do you have a source for this? My preliminary investigations haven't revealed any hardware revisions that gave it a faster processor. Original PSX consoles had issues with the CD-ROM being defective and introducing skipping and stuttering during FMV playback, is that what you meant?

Let me correct myself (as i remembered it wrong) and elaborate. 

There was a change in the type of RAM used. This new RAM allowed for certain effects to be used smoothly. On old ps1s there would be noticeable slow downs when the effect played. 

There was also a slight change made the GPU as well. The post below goes into detail. 

You won't find to much info as it goes very deep into dev relayed content, which isn't as freely available. 

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/which-is-better-early-ps1s-with-vram-or-later-ps1s-with-sgram.55474/

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX