iPhone SE has same A9 as 6s, old TouchID and old selfie cam

asim1999

So, the new Apple iPhone SE went official yesterday and it's very much an iPhone 6s internals in a 5s body. Well, almost...

As you've probably heard, the SE will not support Force Touch, but on the upside, AnTuTu detected 2GB of RAM - as much as the 6s has and double what the 6 and those before it had.

AnTuTu shows 2GB of RAM on the iPhone SE 

For one, the Touch ID sensor is the slower first-generation, unlike the 6s models (first-gen was also used on the iPhone 6).

Another change is the selfie camera - it's back to 1.2MP with f/2.4. That means it's the iPhone 5 selfie camera, the 5s went to f/2.2 and the 6s upped the resolution to 5MP. Retina flash is available, though (yay?).

The iPhone SE uses the M9 motion co-processor but lacks a barometer. This was used for activity tracking as a power-efficient way to estimate how much you've climbed (going up the stairs, for example, before that the GPS was used).

Looks like the SE is a good phone for its price, especially in the performance department 

Here is a look at the benchmark scores

9eb1b839jw1f25h5wyyjij20ik0ct76g.jpg

What do you think> do these shortcoming justify the price?

Sources:

http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_se_2gb_of_ram_old_touchid_and_selfie_cam-news-17364.php

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-se-appears-on-antutu-with-2-gb-of-ram-22432726/

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

RETINA FLASH? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHHAHAHAHAHA

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I think it's a great idea to miniaturise the internals of the 6, IMO ForceTouch is a gimmick and I could not care less about the quality of the selfie cam. Could be my next phone tbh in a year so. I'm not a big fan of those huge things the size of postcards because it's inconvenient when I'm one-handing or when it's in my pocket sloshing about when I'm on a run. Hopefully it's lighter than the 5.

Does it at least use NVME storage?

i personally don't really care about any of the features that were left out....but it's disappointing to see nonetheless. I don't see why the 4" iPhone should be any less than the 4.7"/5.5" iPhone. It should be the same device in a smaller form factor. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

So, uhm, somehow the iPhone SE with its smaller battery (like over 1000 mAh smaller) gets better battery life than a 6S+ even though the A9 is clocked at the same speeds.

What magic is this? I mean, it's not just the lower screen resolution right?

Ye ole' train

Apple be like: we still got some old Iphone 5 enclosures lien around. What if we put in a new chip and sell it under a new name?

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So, uhm, somehow the iPhone SE with its smaller battery (like over 1000 mAh smaller) gets better battery life than a 6S+ even though the A9 is clocked at the same speeds.

2 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

I'd believe it. Screen resolution and screen size account for the vast majority of battery consumption.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

18 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

It seems like a decent phone for the price. Would have just liked to see them ditching 16GB phones all together. We need greater capacity than that these days. 

Not everybody. My grandma uses an iPhone, and she's used 4GB since she got the phone 2 years ago. She backs up all of her photos to her PC. Also, you know why they make 16GB models, right? So that you'll pay the $100 extra dollars for 16GB more.

I used to be quite active here.

If you ask me yes. It would have been nice to see the new Touch ID since it is so much faster and more accurate, but it is still a GREAT phone.

Personally, I don't give a crap about selfie cameras. And tbh, the SE actually seems like a killer deal if you are fine with a smaller screen. 400 dollars is more of a mid range phone price and SE is a high end one. Of course, the 16gb storage kinda kills it. Definitely would have been nice for 32 on the base.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Kobathor said:

Not everybody. My grandma uses an iPhone, and she's used 4GB since she got the phone 2 years ago. She backs up all of her photos to her PC. Also, you know why they make 16GB models, right? So that you'll pay the $100 extra dollars for 16GB more.

Just saying for 500 dollars (I think) it comes with 64gb, not 32. That's what Apple has done with the 6s/plus, after all.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, HarmFull said:

Apple be like: we still got some old Iphone 5 enclosures lien around. What if we put in a new chip and sell it under a new name?

If only they decided to reuse the 5's design on the 6/6+. It looked much nicer imo.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'd believe it. Screen resolution and screen size account for the vast majority of battery consumption.

Yeah but not 1000+ mAh. That's just not happening.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

If only they decided to reuse the 5's design on the 6/6+. It looked much nicer imo.

I totally agree with you on that. not the rounded edges..Not a big fan of them.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

10 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Does it at least use NVME storage?

i personally don't really care about any of the features that were left out....but it's disappointing to see nonetheless. I don't see why the 4" iPhone should be any less than the 4.7"/5.5" iPhone. It should be the same device in a smaller form factor. 

Yes it does as the memory controller is the same as the 6S so they have to use NVME

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

I would had loved to get this phone.. If it was announced alongside the iPhone 6s.. I always had loved the iPhone 5 design and the 1st gen Touch ID. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 minutes ago, mikat said:

32 gb masterrace :D

More like 64GB masterrace lol

Loving the 64GB on my OnePlus 2 

3 minutes ago, mikat said:

they should have 32 and 64 gb options :)

True, Apple's iPhone lineup should look like this:

32GB 

128GB 

256GB 

2 hours ago, GlassBomb said:

It seems like a decent phone for the price. Would have just liked to see them ditching 16GB phones all together. We need greater capacity than that these days. 

Agree, min should be 32gb. 

1 hour ago, asim1999 said:

True, Apple's iPhone lineup should look like this:

32GB 

128GB 

256GB 

What about 32, 64, 128? 256gb at this point still seems hugely high unless you're power recording 4K footage for the next feature length film.

2 hours ago, HarmFull said:

Well in all honesty there are a few points Apple is trying to hit with the SE

-smaller enclosure, a lot of people didnt like not having the ability to upgrade to a new iPhone while having to get a bigger device

-cheaper, with the 6th gen iPhones there was no cheaper option like the 5C

-no need, does a smartphone really even need to be faster than it already is... the iPhone 6S is a blazing fast phone.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)