Hulk Hogan wins sex-tape case against Gawker. Awarded $115 million.

kqm0qjx.jpg

7ZpCP4m.png

A Florida jury has awarded Hulk Hogan $115m (£79m) after the gossip news website Gawker published a sex tape of the retired professional wrestler.
Mr Hogan's legal team argued the New York-based website violated his privacy and the video was not newsworthy.
The case, which pitted freedom of the press against a celebrity's right to privacy, has been closely watched.
The video was posted in 2012 after Mr Hogan was secretly recorded having sex with his friend's wife.
Lawyers for Gawker argued that although jurors might find the website's actions distasteful, the concept of freedom of the press was more important to uphold.
Mr Hogan's lawyers said Gawker did not contact him or the woman in the video before the video was published.
"This is not only his victory today, but also anyone else who's been victimised by tabloid journalism," Hogan lawyer David Houston said outside the courtroom.

Gawker's founder Nick Denton and journalist AJ Daulerio were held liable in the lawsuit.
Even before the verdict was announced, Gawker said in a statement that an appeal was likely. Large jury awards are often reduced during the appeals process.

-BBC

The stunning sum is a potentially life-threatening event for the New York-based network of news and gossip sites, which was one of the first successful, large digital-only news companies. It's even more than the $100 million Bollea was seeking.
The sex tape was made about a decade ago, during a period in which the professional wrestler Hogan testified that he was going through a difficult phase with his then-wife.

“He’s talked about his sex life, how big his penis is, and when he talks about his penis it’s to promote his daughter’s singing career," said Gawker's attorney Michael Sullivan. "He’s discussed his sexual encounters. Now he tells you this was the Hulk Hogan character."
Gawker has a right to publish news stories, even ones with objectionable content, Sullivan  told the jury.
"If they can make a claim like this, the Internet as we know it will cease to exist," Sullivan said.

-ArsTechnica

Marc Randazza, a free speech lawyer, spoke to me live after the verdict to share his thoughts on the case as well as to discuss Gawker’s next legal move.

Danger & Play Media hot takes:

• Gawker had excellent legal counsel, this was simply a case no one could win.
  • New York snark does not translate well to judges and juries.
  • Gawker will need to post an appeal bond of 10% of the damages verdict.
  • The jury may award up to 3 times the $115 million in punitive damages, for a total award of hundreds of millions of dollars.
  • Gawker’s revenue last year were around $44 million. There’s no way Gawker can afford to pay this verdict.
  • Gawker owns several websites like Jezebel and Kotaku. Those sites may be sold off to the (lowest) bidder.
  • In order to appeal the verdict, Gawker must put up the full verdict amount, or pay 10% (non-refundable) to a company. Bottom line: Gawker will need to pay millions of dollars out of pocket to appeal the Hulk Hogan verdict.

http://www.dangerandplay.com/2016/03/18/hulk-hogan-v-gawker-marc-randazza-legal-analysis/

Gawker Media is the parent company for seven different weblogs and many subsites under them: Gawker.com, Deadspin, Lifehacker, Gizmodo, Kotaku, Jalopnik, and Jezebel.

Articles:

Arstechnica

$115 million verdict in Hulk Hogan sex-tape lawsuit could wipe out Gawker  Archive

BBC

Hulk Hogan awarded $115m in Gawker sex tape case Archive

Hollywood Reporter

Hulk Hogan Gets $115M Verdict Against Gawker at Sex Tape Trial Archive

CNN

Hulk Hogan awarded $115 million in Gawker sex tape case Archive

Variety

Hulk Hogan Awarded $115 Million in Gawker Sex Tape Lawsuit Archive

CNBC

Wrestler Hulk Hogan awarded $115M in Gawker case Archive

Business Insider

Gawker loses sex-tape fight with Hulk Hogan Archive

FOX

Hulk Hogan awarded $115 million judgment in suit against Gawker Archive

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Hulk Hogan might be a racist POS, but I'm glad he won this. It's insane that Gawker had the gall to call publishing what someone did in their bedroom "freedom of press."

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Hulk Hogan might be a racist POS, but I'm glad he won this. It's insane that Gawker had the gall to call publishing what someone did in their bedroom "freedom of press."

Especially the blatant hypocrisy where they were nearly calling for the executions of those involved with or even viewing the Fappening stuff, yet they turn around and immediately do this to him.  All because he is a man, and the fappening was women. 

1 minute ago, ChineseChef said:

Especially the blatant hypocrisy where they were nearly calling for the executions of those involved with or even viewing the Fappening stuff, yet they turn around and immediately do this to him.  All because he is a man, and the fappening was women. 

3rd wave feminists and authoritarians who don't know what it actually means to be liberal do not know what the word "hypocrisy" means.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Thank god.  Good bye Gawker.  I won't miss any of your useless, regressive dribble.

RIP Gawker, you will not be missed.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

8 minutes ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Thank god.  Good bye Gawker.  I won't miss any of your useless, regressive dribble.

Anybody think that Hogan would be a great Trump VP eh? Eh?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Steroids make your dick little. Pumped up wrestler + sex-tape leak, go figure why he's lawyered up to the teeth.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

2 hours ago, Lethal Seraph said:

Steroids make your dick little. Pumped up wrestler + sex-tape leak, go figure why he's lawyered up to the teeth.

I do believe it's the testicle size, not penis size, that are affected by drug use. Although depending on severity of (ab)use, I think the changes are reversible. (also, yes, I'm fun at parties) 

On-topic: interesting outcome and it might set a precedent. That would mean news media cannot post leaked photos or videos of people. 

And the reaction to the bleak future of Gawker: 

The money they will have to put up is not to be allowed to appeal, it's just to stay the execution. So if they appeal without putting up the bond, they'd have to pay the full amount while the appeal is in the works. 

Also:

Spoiler

Daulerio, a defendant in an invasion-of-privacy lawsuit brought by the retired wrestler Hulk Hogan, was asked by the plaintiff’s lawyer where he drew the line when it came to posting videos of people having sex.

“Can you imagine a situation where a celebrity sex tape would not be newsworthy?” asked the lawyer, Douglas E. Mirell.

“If they were a child,” Mr. Daulerio replied.

“Under what age?” the lawyer pressed.

“Four.”

Nice sarcasm. The jury loved that. 

10 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

T--

Hide contents

Daulerio, a defendant in an invasion-of-privacy lawsuit brought by the retired wrestler Hulk Hogan, was asked by the plaintiff’s lawyer where he drew the line when it came to posting videos of people having sex.

“Can you imagine a situation where a celebrity sex tape would not be newsworthy?” asked the lawyer, Douglas E. Mirell.

“If they were a child,” Mr. Daulerio replied.

“Under what age?” the lawyer pressed.

“Four.”

Nice sarcasm. The jury loved that. 

wow

Gawker is a terrible company but I will miss LifeHacker if it goes under.

As much as I'd love Gawker going under, I can't say I stand behind this verdict. 115 million dollars seems waaaaaaay too much.

29 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

As much as I'd love Gawker going under, I can't say I stand behind this verdict. 115 million dollars seems waaaaaaay too much.

They're appealing, which will probably bring it down.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

It's really funny how they of all people are using "freedom of press" as their excuse. That aside, I like LifeHacker and hope someone picks them up if Gawker goes down, which I don't find unlikely considering the verdict was $115 mil. $115 mil????? Are you kidding me? I'm pretty sure it'll go down by a lot.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I wonder what Hulk hogans finishing move was on that tape!  *grabs popcorn*

#RearNakedChoke #PumpingIron #sUBMISSION #tapout # hulkbuster #

Details separate people.

5 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Gawker had it coming. They defied a court order, people who worked for gawker made snarky and sarcastic comments inside a court of law and the damn editor of gawker himself said in a court of law that he would only draw the line if they had a tape that involved a 4 year old girl or younger, implying that that he would be okay with it if the person involved was the age of 5 or up.

They even had a live event on their website where they were reporting on the judgement in a snarky sarcastic manner thinking that they were already in the clear. They stopped updating when the verdict was given out.

They can rot in a fire for all I care. 115 million (plus punitive damages which are still TBD) I would argue is too low for the physical damage gawker has done to me and countless other people for high levels of blood pressure fluctuation that website has dished out for years beforehand.

When it come crashing down it hurts inside.....

Hope the overdubbed the tape for the jury with the NWO theme music....

Linda will be a happy...

personally i can't stand the man...

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

RIP Gawker. Good riddance. May you burn in hell, cancer of the internet.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I guess the jury having been forced to actually watch that tape may have been a factor in determining emotional and future punitive damages.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

does this mean the end of lifehacker (oh nooooooooo!) and kotaku (fuck yeah!)?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Couldn't care less about gawker itself however I feel bad for the sub sites such as Jalopnik and Kotaku, and the community run sites such as Oppositelock. It sucks for Oppo as it isn's even a part of gawker, it just uses the kinja platform which is owned and run by gawker. Gawker goes away, so does kinja.

Gawker doesn't need to be your news source anymore. Gawker is over.