is 200 usd a good price for a strix 970?

shadowbyte
7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

lol

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/31.html

MSI, Palit, and other against the STRIX. It's actually a review for the MSI, but it has temps for lots of 970's.

I used to be quite active here.

3 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

lol

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/31.html

MSI, Palit, and other against the STRIX. It's actually a review for the MSI, but it has temps for lots of 970's.

And compare the STRIX to a reference 970 - a 6 degree difference while being significantly quieter. Definitely not the worst.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_970_STRIX_OC/24.html

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, spartaman64 said:

if the card works then its a great deal

I don't have enough memes at the moment

but maybe I will someday

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

4 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

I rather get a EVGA or MSI for 250-300 than a Asus for 200....

Horrible GPU Tweak interface, support is horrible, most Direct cards are mostly quietness now and not overclocking and temps...

i use msi afterburner no matter what gpu i get lol

10 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Horrible GPU Tweak interface, support is horrible, most Direct cards are mostly quietness now and not overclocking and temps...

Uh, why are you using their software then...? 250-300 for an EVGA or MSI, he might as well buy it new.  And that's a 50% increase in price for virtually no performance gain.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

11 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

You know you dont need to install GPU tweak right...

you can use MSI afterburner or EVGA precision if you want to

Support is fine

I was able to RMA my motherboard after a couple emails and got a brand new one

The reason there are a lot of negative complaints is because ASUS is 10x bigger than most other PC component companies, they are huge, and they sell a shit ton more products too

More products sold = more complaints

Thats just how percentage works

Their Strix cards are extremely quiet and overclock just as well as any other 970

Maybe inform yourself a little before jumping on the ASUS hate bandwagon which is filled with people who cant do 1+1=2

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

200$USD is a very good deal, even for a reference 970...and the strix while not being the best card there is, it's still head and shoulders above the reference design, take it!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You know you dont need to install GPU tweak right...

you can use MSI afterburner or EVGA precision if you want to

Support is fine

I was able to RMA my motherboard after a couple emails and got a brand new one

The reason there are a lot of negative complaints is because ASUS is 10x bigger than most other PC component companies, they are huge, and they sell a shit ton more products too

More products sold = more complaints

Thats just how percentage works

Their Strix cards are extremely quiet and overclock just as well as any other 970

Maybe inform yourself a little before jumping on the ASUS hate bandwagon which is filled with people who cant do 1+1=2

Maybe when you had a Asus product and got fed up with the experience that you get....

GPU Tweak is the only program that allows voltage changing, AB or other programs have the voltage locked out for Asus cards.

If you see most of Asus GPU that are released now, they mainly focus on quiet.

Asus 390X has bad VRM temps because Asus decided to go with "quiet".

19 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Uh, why are you using their software then...? 250-300 for an EVGA or MSI, he might as well buy it new.  And that's a 50% increase in price for virtually no performance gain.

Voltage for overclocking...Asus GPU Tweak is the only software that lets me to change voltage.

After overclocking with GPU Tweak, then i switch back to AB.

4 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Maybe when you had a Asus product and got fed up with the experience that you get....

GPU Tweak is the only program that allows voltage changing, AB or other programs have the voltage locked out for Asus cards.

If you see most of Asus GPU that are released now, they mainly focus on quiet.

Asus 390X has bad VRM temps because Asus decided to go with "quiet".

Voltage for overclocking...Asus GPU Tweak is the only software that lets me to change voltage.

After overclocking with GPU Tweak, then i switch back to AB.

oh really

i guess this +12mv is just magical volts right?

maybe theyre in my imagination

56de332f14c58_bandicam2016-03-0718-02-26

and were talking about nvidia GPUs here

the GTX970 is not made by AMD

there are no vrm temp issues

go ask anyone with a strix 970

there are thousands of people with that card running great

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

oh really

i guess this +12mv is just magical volts right?

maybe theyre in my imagination

and were talking about nvidia GPUs here

the GTX970 is not made by AMD

there are no vrm temp issues

go ask anyone with a strix 970

there are thousands of people with that card running great

Maybe when you get a 970 you should say the same thing too?

I'm saying that Asus focus a lot more on "quietness" than temps, some people are thermal throttled by their 970 Strix. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

Most Asus cards are voltage locked by software...

bc815a79d5dceeb6223db7c26360e46f.png

6 minutes ago, Bubblewhale said:

Maybe when you get a 970 you should say the same thing too?

I'm saying that Asus focus a lot more on "quietness" than temps, some people are thermal throttled by their 970 Strix. 

http://www.overclock.net/t/1516121/gtx-970-comparison-strix-vs-msi-gaming-vs-gigabyte-g1

Most Asus cards are voltage locked by software...

have you tried to actually enable overvolting in the afterburner settings?

you know thats a thing right?

and no the strix does not throttle

go look at any professional review

the fan only starts up at 65C

a lot of inexperienced users think that their card throttles because it idles at 65C, that snot how it works

and btw your comparison is completely useless because the gigabyte G1 doesnt cost $200

so its a lot worse performance for the money

and btw everyone knows the G1 is binned

comparing a binned chip to a non binned one is not a fair comparison, obviously the non binned one performs slightly worse

you're also still wrong about all the other things i mentioned in the first post

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

have you tried to actually enable overvolting in the afterburner settings?

you know thats a thing right?

and no the strix does not throttle

go look at any professional review

the fan only starts up at 65C

a lot of inexperienced users think that their card throttles because it idles at 65C, that snot how it works

and btw your comparison is completely useless because the gigabyte G1 doesnt cost $200

so its a lot worse performance for the money

and btw everyone knows the G1 is binned

comparing a binned chip to a non binned one is not a fair comparison, obviously the non binned one performs slightly worse

you're also still wrong about all the other things i mentioned in the first post

Tried enable overvolting?
Yeah umm tried everything and still failed...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/747983-Unlocking-Voltage-In-MSI-Afterburner-Asus-R9-270x

Sometimes when you OC your 970 too much to a point where the temperature is high, card begins to throttle. 

I know idle temperatures is useless most of the time. 

Even so G1 isn't guaranteed to be binned...cards are guaranteed to be at stable at stock clocks and rest is the lottery. You should ask  @Dabombinable about his 970 G1 Gaming...

The comparison was just to show with the cooling.

Most of the time this'll end up bad anyway, let's just end it.

1 minute ago, Bubblewhale said:

Tried enable overvolting?
Yeah umm tried everything and still failed...

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/747983-Unlocking-Voltage-In-MSI-Afterburner-Asus-R9-270x

Sometimes when you OC your 970 too much to a point where the temperature is high, card begins to throttle. 

I know idle temperatures is useless most of the time. 

Even so G1 isn't guaranteed to be binned...cards are guaranteed to be at stable at stock clocks and rest is the lottery. You should ask  @Dabombinable about his 970 G1 Gaming...

The comparison was just to show with the cooling.

Yep. Gigabyte say on the box that they bin GPU for their G1 Gaming cards. But my GTX 970 G1, and the GTX 980 G1 (sorry, forgot the users name) can't even manage a 100MHz stable overclock and have one of the lowest ASIC scores of any GTX 970 and GTX 980, with my GTX 970 for example having an ASIc score of 62.9%. That means that it runs a hotter than cards with a higher ASIC score and requires more voltage to reach the same overclock as other cards, meaning that its binned lower, and further down in the silicon lottery. Like an i7 4790K that does 1.35V for example at 4.4GHz, as opposed to one that does 4.8GHz at 1.35V.

TL;DR If a series of graphics cards is supposed to be binned for higher overclocking than the cheaper, standard version, then all of the GPU in the "binned" series of cards would overclock higher than all of the GPU in the lower tier standard cards. That is not obviously the case at all and as such I can not and will not recommend a Gigabyte graphics card ever again unless its the standard version. The G1 Gaming cards are a rip off-because they aren't binnned, and for reasons relating to the 80mm fans used and more specifically the motors.

BTW my GTX 970 G1 Gaming new out of the box hit 78oC in Skyrim before I even modded it, and the temperature was reduced down to 72oC when I replaced the TIM-that's another issue cause by low ASIC scores, the bloody amount of extra heat put out over cards with higher ASIC scores.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, shadowbyte said:

yeah

if I had the money, I'd buy a 290

I rate this deal 3.5/4

template.jpg

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

26 minutes ago, Swndlr said:

template.jpg

because I want 4gb of full speed vram

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Polaroid Spectra System

4 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

because I want 4gb of full speed vram

Your thinking of the GTX 970. And either way, you'd only need a 50MHz OC on an R9 290 or 290X/290X 8GB to get an R9 390/390X.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Your thinking of the GTX 970. And either way, you'd only need a 50MHz OC on an R9 290 or 290X/290X 8GB to get an R9 390/390X.

yes

I said that I'd rather get a 290. 

Not a 970

Polaroid Spectra System