Microsoft announces closure of Lionhead Studios

Microsoft has announced plans to close lionhead studios, the developers behind the legendary 2004 game Fable. Microsoft acquired lionhead studios in 2006, and since then has released 5 games. Their last game, Fable anniversary, was released in 2014 for the PC and Xbox 360. 

After much consideration we have decided to cease development on Fable Legends, and are in discussions with employees about the proposed closure of Lionhead Studios in the UK. Additionally, we will close Press Play Studios in Denmark, and sunset development on Project Knoxville.

They have also announced closure of press play, another small studio bought by Microsoft.

I wasn't into gaming back then so I've never played fable, but I know many people here enjoyed the fable series. I've had the impression that lionhead studios was loved and well respected by the community and I'm sure many people will be saddened by this news.

This is the fourth and fifth closure out of the nine game studios Microsoft has bought over the years. It's maddening to see so much talent and potential going to waste whenever Microsoft aquires a game studio. This is also why I fear for mojang's future.

Source:

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-microsoft-is-shutting-down-iconic-game-stud-1763272488

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Riiiiip.

There was some other company who had a few studios or purchased a few and closed them too.. This reminds me of that :( 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I have fond memories of the original Black and White but it has been over seven years since Lionhead released a good game (Fable 2). Impressions I've heard from people playing Fable Legends have not been overly positive.

The way MS is wording the closure of Lionhead is interesting and makes me wonder if they want to keep some of the team around or discuss their plans for the future.

wait .. wasn't this game the one supposed to use Async Compute ?!

Fable was a series that captured my attention with an interesting world, good gameplay but not excellent, and a wonderful lore and narration.  Fable 2 expanded on it, and Fable 3 was just as okay.  It really is saddening to see them kill a game company that mattered a lot during my olden years of gaming.  Just like when EA destroyed Westwood and took from me the joy that was Command & Conquer.

RIP, so this is the PC gaming scene I've come to...

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

RIP Lionhead. Hopefully another team picks some of those guys up.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

wait .. wasn't this game the one supposed to use Async Compute ?!

no, it was going to use more of the DX12 stuff Nvidia cards supported (rasterized rendering or whatever it was called).

This is why AMD won in Ashes and Nvidia won in the Fable Benches.

Really enjoyed playing Fable 2 & 3 not too many years back. Was hoping there would be another like it in the future. :( 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Not all that surprise since the studio isn't making all that great games anymore.

Black & White was my favourite childhood game. Microsoft why do you buy game studios then close them? :/ 

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

40 minutes ago, Prysin said:

no, it was going to use more of the DX12 stuff Nvidia cards supported (rasterized rendering or whatever it was called).

This is why AMD won in Ashes and Nvidia won in the Fable Benches.

How did Nvidia win the Fable benches? On my phone so cant post the benchmark, but the Fury X beat a stock 980 ti and the 390 beat a 980.

EDIT: furyx and stock 980 ti were tied. Still a win for 980 ti since it can be OCed, but nvidia lost everywhere else.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Oh wow. Original Fable is one of my all time greats, and I still have good memories of Black & White. Hope they get picked up. 

Can we get a RIP vote button?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

EA-crosoft hard at work

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 hour ago, ivan134 said:

How did Nvidia win the Fable benches? On my phone so cant post the benchmark, but the Fury X beat a stock 980 ti and the 390 beat a 980.

not in fable. Perhaps after AMD made drivers for it. AFAIK, Nvidia didnt bother to make drivers for their cards in that game/bench

Microsoft ...

Esn6dXv.gif

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

1 minute ago, Prysin said:

not in fable. Perhaps after AMD made drivers for it. AFAIK, Nvidia didnt bother to make drivers for their cards in that game/bench

No, they both released drivers specifically for the benchmark.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Microsoft's doing another EA?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm not terribly surprised by this, given the recent reception of the last few Fable games.

Fable 2 was fucking amazing. Quite frankly one of the best games I've played. Fable 3 had a straight up retarded UI, and some stupid gameplay decisions. The actual combat, etc, of Fable 3 was totally fine, but the UI, the Menu, and most especially, the map, were straight up fucking broken because of bad design choices.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

5 hours ago, CommandMan7 said:

Microsoft has announced plans to close lionhead studios, the developers behind the legendary 2004 game Fable. Microsoft acquired lionhead studios in 2006, and since then has released 5 games. Their last game, Fable anniversary, was released in 2014 for the PC and Xbox 360. 

They have also announced closure of press play, another small studio bought by Microsoft.

I wasn't into gaming back then so I've never played fable, but I know many people here enjoyed the fable series. I've had the impression that lionhead studios was loved and well respected by the community and I'm sure many people will be saddened by this news.

This is the fourth and fifth closure out of the nine game studios Microsoft has bought over the years. It's maddening to see so much talent and potential going to waste whenever Microsoft aquires a game studio. This is also why I fear for mojang's future.

Source:

http://kotaku.com/sounds-like-microsoft-is-shutting-down-iconic-game-stud-1763272488

They might have closed down lionhead and currently ceased development of fable legends. However I don't think it's a perment cease in development.

Considering how far Fable Legends it has come it would not be in microsofts interest to give up on the game.

What I think may happen is that Lionhead will close and Microsoft will buy up the rights to the IPs it owns and will produce Fable Legends and any other games it was in production of under the microsoft studios name.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm not terribly surprised by this, given the recent reception of the last few Fable games.

Fable 2 was fucking amazing. Quite frankly one of the best games I've played. Fable 3 had a straight up retarded UI, and some stupid gameplay decisions. The actual combat, etc, of Fable 3 was totally fine, but the UI, the Menu, and most especially, the map, were straight up fucking broken because of bad design choices.

Fable legends was/is an amazing game. The beta has been so fun and would've made an excellent F2P game or even as an ordinary game for ~£50.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

I don't get Microsoft on this one. Granted that the last games from the studio wasn't pushing sales. But say I was interested in a console. If the XBox One had everything that the PS4 has, and the PS4 has exclusive games because Sony has studios, why would I pick the XBox One?

They should hiring greater talent, to make more compelling games that pushes sales.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

I don't get Microsoft on this one. Granted that the last games from the studio wasn't pushing sales. But say I was interested in a console. If the XBox One had everything that the PS4 has, and the PS4 has exclusive games because Sony has studios, why would I pick the XBox One?

They should hiring greater talent, to make more compelling games that pushes sales.

This Microsoft we are talking about though, they really don't know how to do that well.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL