MIT built a quantum computer that uses only 5 atoms.

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/05/quantum-computer-with-5-atoms/

It's no mean feat to find the factors of a very large number -- even a supercomputer can take years to find all the multipliers. However, MIT researchers have found a way to clear this massive hurdle. They've built a quantum computer that discovers number factors using just five atoms. Four of the atoms are turned into logic gates using laser pulses that put them into superpositions (where they maintain two different energy states at once), while the fifth atom stores and delivers answers. The result is a computer that not only calculates solutions much more efficiently than existing quantum systems, but scales relatively easily. Need to get the factors for a larger number? Introduce more atoms.

It's a one-trick pony at the moment (it can only get factors for the number 15), and a truly complex computer would require "thousands" of simultaneous laser blasts to work. However, it could have big ramifications for the security world. A sufficiently powerful machine could end the use of any encryption that depends on factoring -- a government agency or hacking team could easily crack codes that are otherwise near-impenetrable.

Well, this is cool. Only problem is it can only find the factors of 15, but more atoms = bigger numbers.

We can only imagine what this would mean for security, though.

On another note, we could in the (far) future have quantum Gpus that have a huge amount of cores that could have a huge amount of computing power :) 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Hope this scales well

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

The article may be new, but this is old, old news. Michio Kaku was talking about this machine years ago. The bigger news recently was Google releasing a paper proving D-Wave's systems are real quantum computers, silencing the critics from MIT all the way to UC Berkeley.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Won't do much to graphics or regular usage... Unless you want uber mad PhysX calculations in your games..

I think.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

5 minutes ago, FPSwithaWacomTablet said:

Won't do much to graphics or regular usage... Unless you want uber mad PhysX calculations in your games..

I think.

Quantum computing is not intended for consumers. It's intended for simulations, like weather for example.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

11 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Quantum computing is not intended for consumers. It's intended for simulations, like weather for example.

Inb4 everyone wants their own weather station... RIP weather news

Also reminds me of the Tree Diagram on A Certain Scientific Railgun

latest?cb=20100126012030

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

As far as security encryption it could potentially obliterate it?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

21 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

As far as security encryption it could potentially obliterate it?

If it works off of factors, then yeah, it would. Quantum computers make it look like child's play.

"It's a Lemon Party!" 

-Nick Van Berkel, 2015

"Mini Drones, are they good for your health?" 

-Nick Van Berkel, 2016

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I can see how it could help the average user. (ie really complex AIs in games, searching through all of the files in the system, etc) basically anything that's a np problem instead of just a p problem would benefit from a quantum computer.

1 hour ago, RexinOridle said:

But will it play Crysis?

It would be indeterminate. So for example half of the "hits" might not register as an actual hit. Same with AIs, textures, etc.

Just now, ElfFriend said:

I can see how it could help the average user. (ie really complex AIs in games, searching through all of the files in the system, etc) basically anything that's a np problem instead of just a p problem would benefit from a quantum computer.

You better make sure the rest of the system can handle the file searching. While quantum computers may benefit consumers in video games with AI, we would also need sufficient software to take advantage of that, and we might have complex AI in video games before quantum computers become a staple in the industry.

Of course another issue is if we're even "allowed" to have access to quantum computers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

25 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You better make sure the rest of the system can handle the file searching. While quantum computers may benefit consumers in video games with AI, we would also need sufficient software to take advantage of that, and we might have complex AI in video games before quantum computers become a staple in the industry.

Of course another issue is if we're even "allowed" to have access to quantum computers.

Lol, judging by the posters in the quantum computing floor at my university, there will be no RSA to break by the time quantum computing becomes mainstream enough for the average user to be able to afford having one. So I don't think the "allowed" factor should be that much of an issue. If anything quantum computers will replace our current encryption (after making it worthless of course). I know it sounds like a scheme. Step one, break encryption. Step two, offer new encryption. Step three, profit?

1 hour ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Quantum computers would have to have a consumer orientated revolution just like current PC. Remember how the public had extremely limited access to the old mainframes? (I actually have a family member who used one of the first mainframe computers in Australia for a bank, and has seen them go from that to laptops and desktops like mine).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

7 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

The article may be new, but this is old, old news. Michio Kaku was talking about this machine years ago. The bigger news recently was Google releasing a paper proving D-Wave's systems are real quantum computers, silencing the critics from MIT all the way to UC Berkeley.

Wasn't the primary issue that D-Wave refused to let anyone examine the guts of their q-computer? The critics weren't skeptical for nothing. You have to prove a system works before people will believe you.

If Google has provided that proof, then excellent.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Wasn't the primary issue that D-Wave refused to let anyone examine the guts of their q-computer? The critics weren't skeptical for nothing. You have to prove a system works before people will believe you.

If Google has provided that proof, then excellent.

We have photos of D-Wave's computer:

http://www.gizmag.com/d-wave-quantum-computer-supercomputer-ranking/27476/pictures