Are Mac computers really that bad?

Trav_X

To me these are very valid comparisons.  Neither one sucks or is bad.  They are both similar but have slightly differ bet focuses and are close on pricing.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

On March 2, 2016 at 10:18 PM, Temperament said:

I dislike MACs because I am a programmer. They are difficult to code for, and most games do not bother to code for them either because of their "all in one" system. No, they are not 'bad' so to speak, but it all depends on what you do everyday. If you are a gamer, do not get a MAC. MACs are NOT game oriented and never play them well, but if you are a creator, MACs are really nice for creating music and cutting videos.. Although I hate their cheap mouses and their lame half keyboards that I can never use. But once again, its all personal preference. College students studying arts and such love Macbooks, which are the only Macs I would ever consider owning, for their creativity. butttt, then again there is my Razer Stealth (loveeee) PC is master race.. JS.

Get over it, lol

As a dev you have to adapt,

[spoiler=»--((¯`·._.·¤~●oO му яιg Oo●~¤·._.·´¯))--«] Case: Corsair 600T White       CPU: Core i7 3930k @ 4.3GHz                     SSD: Crucial M500 480GB

MB:    Asus P9X79 LE         GPU: Nvidia GTX 780 Reference             HDD: WD Caviar Green 3TB

PSU:   Seasonic X-1050      RAM: G.Skill Trident X 32GB @ 2.4GHz   ☃ There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Pre built macs are better than most pre built PCs.

Linus is my fetish.

I still use my Macbook Pro 2011 and she works fine, I have replaced the HDD with a SSD and a 1TB spinner to replace the Super Drive, 8Gb ram. When I bought her, my business partner picked up a Acer laptop at the same time which cost a lot less than mine, years later and several acer laptop replacements he has purchased a Macbook too, He uses it with linux for his work. The build quality of their products have been much better than the laptops using the same components. I use my PC for gaming only now as everything just works on my mac, although windows have made great strides over the last few years when I needed a workstation to work to tight deadlines my Mac was always there for me. Turn the clock back 5 years ago and the only way I could keep my windows workstation stable was to rebuild the OS ever three months. Im not sure what is going to happen at Apple now that Steve Jobs is dead but we shall see.

7 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Macs aren't for gaming though.

He doesn't understand the difference between a gaming card and a workstation card.  Don't even bother.  

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Yea, Macs are either for browsing & office, or workstation.

Additionally they can handle light gaming.

The market for people who need computers but don't play video games is massive.

And those are mostly the people that can't / don't want to self build. Macs suit them perfectly.

Linus is my fetish.

I don't think they're bad at all, and I don't really hear people say they're bad. I hear people dog on Macs because they want a gaming computer or because they hate Apple but that doesn't make them bad. A Lexus can't haul cargo like a pick-up and they're more expensive, but that doesn't make Lexuses bad, either. 

Macs have a great OS imo, they're an all-in-one package, and they tend to last a long time. But if you want a gaming rig, you could spend half the money on a better PC. 

5 hours ago, Trav_X said:

The XPS 15 is dope :D basically on of the best Windows laptops right now, that isn't like complete GAMING! focused. It's the best for like a powerful, portable station that runs full Windows 10 and isn't super thick, or super heavy.

It's really a shame macs have such a large bezel, I feel like that's one of the best things about the xps 15 that I want in a Mac. Although I video chat a decent bit and I really dislike the camera position. 

2 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

So here's the thing. Apple computers has a slow upgrade cycle. Like the Mac Pro is running a modified FirePro (aka HD 7950). And yet, what has AMD released that bitch slaps a HD 7950?

For whatever reason Apple tends to forget about one particular model while upgrading all the the rest (clearing out stock I guess).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

They are just overpriced plain and simple. iMac 4k for example: +£160 for  an extra 8GB of DDR3, +£400 for a 512GB SSD, +£240 for a 2TB fusion drive (just a fancy name for a hybrid drive)

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

I don't think anyone will argue that the upgrades are stupidly overpriced.   That doesn't mean the base machines are 

Yeah but if you are paying £1200 for the base machine you would expect more than a lousy 5400rpm HDD included.

CPU - Ryzen 7 5800x3D |  GPU - RTX 3080 TUF OC | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570 | RAM - Patriot Viper Blackout 32GB 3200MHz | Case - InWin 805 | Boot Drive - Corsair MP600 PCIe 4.0  Storage - 2 x 1TB SSD's & 1 500GB SSD | PSU - Seasonic Focus Gold 1000w | Display - ASUS TUF VG27WQ Curved 1440P 165Hz | Cooling - ASUS TUF LC240 AIO + 5 aRGB Fans

Amazing how people keep focusing on that one machine. 

On 3/9/2016 at 4:47 PM, mikat said:

macbook only 1 screen gaming rig 2 screens :D and i also have a corner desk (custom made)

I am so accustom to 2 screens it killed me. lol I spent like $90 st best buy. I had a coupon. 

CEO of DevTech Studios. OS X fanboy, Windows User. Bob Marley. 

1 hour ago, KWelz said:

Amazing how people keep focusing on that one machine. 

People just want an excuse to bash Apple.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, Gazereths said:

They are just overpriced plain and simple. iMac 4k for example: +£160 for  an extra 8GB of DDR3, +£400 for a 512GB SSD, +£240 for a 2TB fusion drive (just a fancy name for a hybrid drive)

Same point Wendell from the Tek Synicate made on a recent video. Apple charges way too much for upgrading their hardware. Not to mention he stated they are usually a Gen behind the PC hardware curve too. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

8 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Same point Wendell from the Tek Synicate made on a recent video. Apple charges way too much for upgrading their hardware. Not to mention he stated they are usually a Gen behind the PC hardware curve too. 

They usually aren't a generation behind though. haswell was announced in June 2013 and haswell macs were released in October. Post haswell is when the upgrade cycle was delayed probably due to intels poor broad well yields (and the poor skylake yields). But Apple was basically the first manufacturer to use pcie SSDs as well as >1080p IPS displays. Not to mention basically all laptop manufacturers adopted a more Applessque trackpad and design/build.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

They usually aren't a generation behind though. haswell was announced in June 2013 and haswell macs were released in October. Post haswell is when the upgrade cycle was delayed probably due to intels poor broad well yields (and the poor skylake yields). But Apple was basically the first manufacturer to use pcie SSDs as well as >1080p IPS displays. Not to mention basically all laptop manufacturers adopted a more Applessque trackpad and design/build.

He was referring to the Mac Pro. Current Gen is socket 2011 not 2011 v3. So yeah, a Gen behind. On top of the fact socket 2011 was out for like 2 years before they decided to use it. Sorry, but Id keep my "high end" hardware up to date with the latest and greatest. Just saying. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

He was referring to the Mac Pro. Current Gen is socket 2011 not 2011 v3. So yeah, a Gen behind. On top of the fact socket 2011 was out for like 2 years before they decided to use it. Sorry, but Id keep my "high end" hardware up to date with the latest and greatest. Just saying. 

Mac Pro sales are and likely were too rare to warrant the cost of constantly pushing updates. I'm sure if it was a good business model then they would do it, but it's probably cost prohibitive to do so. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'd just like to point out how nice it is to see that people aren't just saying "apple sucks" and it's been more of "I dislike this about apple but I like...." 

System: i7 4790K, Hyper 212 EVO, 16 GB Crucial Ballistix, GTX 1070 Super clocked, MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Corsair RM 750, Corsair 750D (with 2 additional 140mm NZXT fans up top for exhaust.) 

well say what you will there really is no computer on the market that provides the macbooks is just insane and the user friendliness does not hurt matters either. it is an amazing choice for someone who is not really that powerful of a user and just wants to use office and safari on a daily basis without dealing with the bullshit that windows has to offer. plus the pci ssds in most of them is a pretty good deal. i use a pc for most power user stuff but i do solely own macbook pro retina as a laptop because i just don't want to go with anything else... my two cents.

9 hours ago, Gazereths said:

Correction -

They are overpriced to self builders.

They are not overpriced for pre built. The increased cost over a Dell or HP covers superior build quality, aesthetics, customer support and warranty.

Linus is my fetish.

1 hour ago, Bhav said:

Correction -

They are overpriced to self builders.

They are not overpriced for pre built. The increased cost over a Dell or HP covers superior build quality, aesthetics, customer support and warranty.

Upgrade costs over the base model is generally overpriced compared to the competition -- but the total cost of the system is within 10% of competing devices, so it's not something I would really call overpriced in general.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

You cannot upgrade Macs and lately Apple doesnt even give shit about their pc devision... They used to be pro and developer platform now they have been moving away from it and focusing on profit, marketing and mobile devices phones, tablets. 

At the moment it is worst time to get mac. Unless apple comes out with refresh and some new roadmap they are dead products...

I did not read the thread. But from experience look at the apple store, and look at the updates. (El captain, and other ones) You will see a bunch of one stars.

Anyways getting to bootcamp, and playing an windows game (vindictus) my Macbook air 2015 reaches 95 Celsius.