Google's Self Driving Car Causes First Crash

theonlyBuster

Original Article: http://www.wired.com/2016/02/googles-self-driving-car-may-caused-first-crash/

This is something to sit and read... February 14th, Valentines Day, Google's Auto Drive car CAUSED its first accident. 

Though it held an impressive time-frame of being quite flawless, this raises some question as to how this will impact other self-driving technologies. 

Additional Articles on same topic:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/29/google-self-driving-car-accident-california

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/29/google-self-driving-car-accident/

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/29/googles-self-driving-car-hits-municipal-bus-in-minor-crash.html

They're really coming on with this AI thing. Now it's human-like enough to have its First Crash. A rite of passage for any driver.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Well it still drives better than most people driving. I bet some people would have gotten out and yelled at the bus driver. Luckily, autonomous cars are not that smart. Or is it stupid?

The smartest idiot you will ever find

And it was mainly because the bus driver didn't yield.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Well, at least they learned some valueable information about it!

And it's a small bump, nothing terrible. No injuries, nobody in shock or died. I'm suprised it took that long before anything happend.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 minutes ago, theonlyBuster said:

Original Article: http://www.wired.com/2016/02/googles-self-driving-car-may-caused-first-crash/

This is something to sit and read... February 14th, Valentines Day, Google's Auto Drive car CAUSED its first accident. 

Though it held an impressive time-frame of being quite flawless, this raises some question as to how this will impact other self-driving technologies. 

Additional Articles on same topic:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/29/google-self-driving-car-accident-california

http://www.engadget.com/2016/02/29/google-self-driving-car-accident/

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/29/googles-self-driving-car-hits-municipal-bus-in-minor-crash.html

well, Mercedes's prototype ran over a journalist at its first tech demo....

i think google got this...

1 minute ago, Nineshadow said:

And it was mainly because the bus driver didn't yield.

Yes, I thought it was interesting that is seems like the Google employee in the car decided to make the same decision as the car and thought the bus would stop.

@theonlyBusterPlease update your post to follow the Tech News requirements that can be found here:

You have 24 hours to update your post or it will be locked or simply moved to a different sub-forum.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Damn... Pretty shitty of the driver to assume someone else would act to stop the accident though. Equally, I suppose I could give the bus driver some shit for not being very observant.

I mean... Technically you could put the accident down to human error.

Anyway, at least it was only a low speed collision and not some insane head-on or something.

"crash", more like its first scratch

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Well it obviously had to happen sometime...

Lets keep moving on.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

What an accident! How many died? Jesus! That's horrible!

Come on... Getting hit by a bus going at a whopping 15mph can't be that catastrophic...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

It's very impressive that they have been able to drive that much and only sustain a singular at-fault accident.

According to the DoT, the average person (aged 20-55) drives around 15,000 miles per year. Google has so far driven about 1.3 million miles, which equates to 86.7 years worth of driving  (assuming the person was never younger nor older, in which case it would be a couple more years as those age groups tend to drive about 50% less). That's extremely impressive to say the least!

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

1 hour ago, -BirdiE- said:

Still doing better than Volvo's auto breaking feature...

Keep in mind though, that dealer was testing the model that doesn't have automatic braking... Yeah, he's a bright guy...

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

If the bus was also an autonomous vehicle and there was a protocol for intervehicle communications then this would of never happened as both cars would know what the other was doing. We won't be able to attain perfection while machines and humans coexist on the road. We humans will always be the weakest link.  Googles lowest moment during this whole experiment was being equal to a human driver. It has never performed worse then a human driver. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

5 hours ago, Bensemus said:

If the bus was also an autonomous vehicle and there was a protocol for intervehicle communications then this would of never happened as both cars would know what the other was doing. We won't be able to attain perfection while machines and humans coexist on the road. We humans will always be the weakest link.  Googles lowest moment during this whole experiment was being equal to a human driver. It has never performed worse then a human driver. 

In most cases. Google did report that there cars have made mistakes that if their driver hadn't taken over it would have lead to an accident.
Source: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/12/google-self-driving-cars-mistakes-data-reports

Google classified the final 13 disengagements as “simulated contacts”: situations that would have resulted in a crash had the human driver not taken over. “In these cases, we believe a human driver could have taken a reasonable action to avoid the contact but the simulation indicated the [car] would not have taken that action,” the company says.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Now they can improve their driving AI. I don't really know why the driver thought the bus would stop, so it's both the car's and his fault. Not something to worry about anyway.

I wonder why Google uses mostly Lexus and Toyotas for their autonomous cars.

The fact that they had to program it to be more human like and it took so long for this to happen, I really look forward of the self-driving car due to how safe it is. 

They predict there to be self driving cars by 2020? Dang... What a time to be alive.

24 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Self driving cars accelerate potentially when someone is bumper sticking to you which is potentially dangerous

Still less dangerous than appruptly breaking and causing a collision. 

144Hz goodness