Seagate Spins New 8TB HDDs With Incredible Random Performance

It's me!

Seagate's latest 8TB HDDs are much much faster than their archive drives were, and they have a new caching mechanism that provides faster random performance than a 10 or 15K HDD, but in a 7,200 RPM. I think it might be too little too late to fight off HDDs, but it is interesting to see them trying to fight back . .

Seagate's AWC algorithms, at least on paper, provide an amazing performance boost. SSD vendors love to regale us with mind-bending random read/write IOPS, but we rarely see the IOPS entry on an HDD spec sheet. Seagate bucks that trend and brazenly lists the Enterprise Capacity v5 series' 164/342 read/write IOPS (QD16) in its specifications.

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/seagate-8tb-enterprise-capacity-3.5-hdd-v5-review,2-17.html#fragment-3

IMG_8767_w_600.png

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/seagate-8tb-enterprise-capacity-3.5-hdd-v5-review,2-17.html#fragment-3

SPINS - it's because they are still spinning their drives, ha-ha, get it?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

yeah, "caching" is not "hard drive"

getting faster random reads from a tiny 32MB cache or whatever is not going to improve the performance when accessing the other 7900GB of data

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Oh wait... 

Whats a hard drive? 

/s

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

9 minutes ago, Si3Rra_7 said:

These are completely useless...

Are they?

What else gives you 8TB of storage in one single enclosure? SSDs don't, that's for sure.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Are they?

What else gives you 8TB of storage in one single enclosure? SSDs don't, that's for sure.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/samsung-unveils-2-5-inch-16tb-ssd-the-worlds-largest-hard-drive/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Are they?

We've seen reports of 8TB ssds even last year , and those won't have the noise of an 'effin jet engine 

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Are they?

Actually with those 3.84TB SSDs from Samsung that are the same 2.5" slim form factor as their 850 EVO/Po, you can fit 6 of those in the same space as a 3.5" HDD, so you can actually fit more TB/m^3 with SSDs than you can with HDDs, assuming you have SATA power cables with such short distances between the terminals.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, It's me! said:

LOL but are you paying 16 GRAND for one of them? Are you insane? HDD are still relevant fellas!

16TB for $5000 at full SATA 6Gbps speeds... http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/samsung-unveils-2-5-inch-16tb-ssd-the-worlds-largest-hard-drive/?comments=1

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

"Once you go SSD, you never go back."

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

Oh my god the puns, worse than the news.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

yeah, "caching" is not "hard drive"

getting faster random reads from a tiny 32MB cache or whatever is not going to improve the performance when accessing the other 7900GB of data

If you read the article... It does. It trounces every thing on the market (7200rpm)  today from a performance perspective.  Only the hgst He drives are even remotely competitive (and they only win at efficiency). 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

They tested the random write for like three days straight, and the "cache" never ran out. They just use a small cache buffer to catch random writes, and then write them sequentially to make it fast. In other words, it isn't a normal cache - it never runs out.

52 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

If you read the article... It does. It trounces every thing on the market (7200rpm)  today from a performance perspective.  Only the hgst He drives are even remotely competitive (and they only win at efficiency). 

in a benchmark sure, because a benchmark only reads and writes very little data, so it all fits on the cache.

It does not have an 8TB cache.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, It's me! said:

....compared to 700 for the equivalent capacity. Seriously.

In enterprise? No, an 8TB HDD with power loss protection and ecc would set you back $3000.

Faster random performance than 10 and 15k RPM drives, oh? (and was there some 20k RPM drive prototype?) Would like to see a video compare, seems interesting.

Random performance HDD graph, would like to see that.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

in a benchmark sure, because a benchmark only reads and writes very little data, so it all fits on the cache.

It does not have an 8TB cache.

Uhh they do 35 hours random tests... That doesn't "fit" on the cache... They even test it on different OS's. (BTW it's normal cache is 254 MB and it has a secondary 2MB cache).

http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/enterprise-hdd-testing,2-896.html

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

If that is an accurate price, that is pretty much on par with current prices, with barely any "premium".  Which is damn impressive.  Current 2TB drives are ~$600(US), which would be $4,800 for 8 of them.  Meaning only a $200 premium for having it all in a single drive.  Granted, SATA3 speed limitation, compared to SATA3 x8 but still.  If the goal was simply faster mass storage, these would be priced very very very competitively.

Just now, ChineseChef said:

If that is an accurate price, that is pretty much on par with current prices, with barely any "premium".  Which is damn impressive.  Current 2TB drives are ~$600(US), which would be $4,800 for 8 of them.  Meaning only a $200 premium for having it all in a single drive.  Granted, SATA3 speed limitation, compared to SATA3 x8 but still.  If the goal was simply faster mass storage, these would be priced very very very competitively.

It is a pretty hefty premium over the 150-200 USD for 1TB ssds though (2400-3200). But from 2TB yea not too shabby.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

10 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

It is a pretty hefty premium over the 150-200 USD for 1TB ssds though (2400-3200). But from 2TB yea not too shabby.

The only close to $200 SSD I know of in recent memory is the Sandisk Ultra II 960GB that was sold for $200 at Black Friday. That's also an enterprise drive.

30 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

One thing to consider about the cheaper 1TB drives, is that you need 16 of them, compared to 8x 2TB.  Which means that you could get potentially double the speed of 8 drives, but you now need greater support infrastructure to handle that.  And sometimes support infrastructure can be more costly in either hardware or man hours, or potential hardware failures due to increased parts.

With 100$ consumer SSD you can crap on seagate enterprise disk performance wise that costs at least 10 times.

These are irrelevant because they are enterprise, businesses buy whatever fits their budget/need, if they can get money back from using them they are relevant there, from a consumer view HDD will slowly die off by 2020.