Seagate Spins New 8TB HDDs With Incredible Random Performance

It's me!
1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

How big is your biggest video? Each write under 32GB should theoretically zip right by. The only time you'll notice the hit is during a big backup.

the point is that you cant have everything cached

so when you try to load a 32GB video that isnt on the cache, it needs to be moved to the cache before you get the speed benefit

then the cache is full, and if you want to add a second 32GB file then it will have HDD speeds instead of SSD

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

Enderman only operates with archives that fill his entire disc. This is why he has issues with this technology. The rest of us normal human beings are fine if 20 bucks more for a 1-2TB drive shaves off 5-20 seconds in file loading times.

This topic is about an 8TB HDD. Clearly you are just a regular consumer who doesnt understand content creator needs. Maybe you should ask linus why he needs 45 6TB drives.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 hour ago, patrickjp93 said:

How big is your biggest video? Each write under 32GB should theoretically zip right by.

He has to store all of LMG's video material spanning the last decade. I'd say that goes beyond basic content creator needs.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

the point is that you cant have everything cached

so when you try to load a 32GB video that isnt on the cache, it needs to be moved to the cache before you get the speed benefit

then the cache is full, and if you want to add a second 32GB file then it will have HDD speeds instead of SSD

This topic is about an 8TB HDD. Clearly you are just a regular consumer who doesnt understand content creator needs. Maybe you should ask linus why he needs 45 6TB drives.

1x 250GB SSD (boot) (850 Evo)

1x 500GB SSD (Steam) (850 Evo)

1x 1TB SSD (steam) (850 Evo)

1x 5TB HDD (anime) (WD Green)

3x 2TB HDD (anime) (Seagate, 2x WD externals)

3x 1TB HDD (backup + old games) (WD black, Seagate, Seagate external for extra backup)

Once 1TB SSDs drop further ill get another one to put the rest of my current and future games on. Then ill get rid of the 500GB 850Evo to buy ANOTHER 1TB 850 Evo, or maybe a 2TB one if the price has dropped enough.

before you go judging, maybe you should click the build link in my signature area.... and you would know that i have A LOT of storage... and no, i do not dwell in content creation (anymore. Used to do A LOT of photoshop work with 4-8k resolution files... they take a lot of space once you pile up enough).... I do however hoard anime and manga.... which takes A LOT of space.

29 minutes ago, Prysin said:

1x 250GB SSD (boot) (850 Evo)

1x 500GB SSD (Steam) (850 Evo)

1x 1TB SSD (steam) (850 Evo)

1x 5TB HDD (anime) (WD Green)

3x 2TB HDD (anime) (Seagate, 2x WD externals)

3x 1TB HDD (backup + old games) (WD black, Seagate, Seagate external for extra backup)

Once 1TB SSDs drop further ill get another one to put the rest of my current and future games on. Then ill get rid of the 500GB 850Evo to buy ANOTHER 1TB 850 Evo, or maybe a 2TB one if the price has dropped enough.

before you go judging, maybe you should click the build link in my signature area.... and you would know that i have A LOT of storage... and no, i do not dwell in content creation (anymore. Used to do A LOT of photoshop work with 4-8k resolution files... they take a lot of space once you pile up enough).... I do however hoard anime and manga.... which takes A LOT of space.

then theres no reason to need a hybrid drive, watching video doesnt require massive bandwidth or minimum latency

video editing does require a lot of bandwith and low latency if you dont want to be waiting several seconds every time you skip to some random point in the file

and no, waiting for the stuff to move from the HDD to the SSD cache is not "fast" because its bottlenecked by the HDD speed itself

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020