Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg side with FBI in IPhone backdoor case

zMeul

By the way, not only is the actual storage drive encrypted, but so is each individual file in the file system with a unique key... hence the complexity and strength of Apple's security and encryption. THIS is why the phone can't just be decrypted. 

The only way to decrypt the whole phone and gain access to everything inside it in one swoop is by.... GETTING THE PASSCODE RIGHT.

...and the only way to do that without bricking the phone is... REMOVING THE LIMITS OF GUESSING/INPUTTING PASSWORDS. (read: allow the passcode to be brute forced)

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

i think this article misrepresents Zuckerbergs positions. Here's a larger portion of what he said:

"

We’re sympathetic with Apple. We believe in encryption; we think that that’s an important tool,” Zuckerberg said on stage at Mobile World Congress in Barcelona.

“I don’t think requiring backdoors with encryption is either going to be an effective way to increase security or is really the right thing to do for just the direction that the world is going to,” Zuckerberg said.

"

http://m.thestar.com/#/article/business/2016/02/23/bill-gates-says-apple-should-help-fbi-break-into-terrorists-iphone.html

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I'm standing with Apple.

Glad to see they're sticking up for whats right. Last thing we need is the US government with a key to everyone's iPhone and personal data.

CPU: i3-8100 | Motherboard: ASRock Z370M-itx a/c | GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition | RAM: Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2400 8GB | Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD/ Crucial 240GB SSD | PSU: EVGA 750w G2 | Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S | OS: Windows 10 Home

6 minutes ago, Chuck38 said:

I'm standing with Apple.

Glad to see they're sticking up for whats right. Last thing we need is the US government with a key to everyone's password protected device and personal data.

^FTFY

ESXi SysAdmin

@zMeulyou should probably check out this new interview with Bill Gates. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-23/bill-gates-disappointed-by-reports-he-backs-fbi-over-apple

I made a new post about this.

These headlines and stories that came about are very much misrepresenting what Mark and Bill's view actually are.

10 minutes ago, TheCMan said:

@zMeulyou should probably check out this new interview with Bill Gates. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-23/bill-gates-disappointed-by-reports-he-backs-fbi-over-apple

I made a new post about this.

These headlines and stories that came about are very much misrepresenting what Mark and Bill's view actually are.

already did a couple of pages back and commented on it

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

already did a couple of pages back and commented on it

Change your original post then. Your original post is very misleading at this point. Your original post is what people actually read. Update the original post.

Just now, TheCMan said:

Change your original post then. Your original post is very misleading at this point.

no it's not

I suggest you read my comment(s) regarding that interview

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no it's not

I suggest you read my comment(s) regarding that interview

This is your original post comments

Gate's involvement?! I sincerely don't understand him at all .. or maybe I do since he was the one burying Netscape back in the day - browser wars ringing any bells

Zuckerberg !? he's in for the money - he doesn't give a shit about people

even MS' CEO (Satya Nadella) and CFO (Brad Smith) seem to be standing with Apple in this

You said you don't understand him and that he doesn't care about people.

In your original post you have NOTHING about Gates interview at Bloomberg Go and comments about what he thought about these headlines.

I understand you made comments and posted the link but update the original post so that people can read the whole story.

I didn't know you even replayed later. When new info comes out, it is best to update the original post so that all the information if represented at the start.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:
Also, remember that Apple has the master key, and they can process this specific phone. Of course the FBI wants that key, but Apple can offer to process this specific phone.

Apple cant decrypt the iPhone in anyway and they made that pretty clear'. Hence the FBI asked Apple to make a custom firmware just for this device so they could flash it to iPhone disabling security features just for brute force. Again Apple can't decrypt rather merely allow unlimited combination tryouts. 

Also the FBI initially requested Apple to make a backdoor in all iPhones so they would have easy access to any iPhones

11 minutes ago, TheCMan said:

I didn't know you even replayed later. When new info comes out, it is best to update the original post so that all the information if represented at the start.

the Bloomberg interview adds absolutely nothing to the facts, in his interview he sides with the government 

no one took Gates out of context

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the Bloomberg interview adds absolutely nothing to the facts, in his interview he sides with the government 

no one took Gates out of context

So, why is Bill Gates disappointed with the headlines saying "Bill Gates backs FBI" either way a good reporter gives all the information. I suggest you give all of the information in your original post.

1 minute ago, TheCMan said:

So, why is Bill Gates disappointed with the headlines saying "Bill Gates backs FBI" either way a good reporter gives all the information. I suggest you give all of the information in your original post.

because it hurts his public image, he tried to "fix it" and still failed

I've been saying this since this whole issue started. The OS had to installed on that specific phone in order for a custom made backdoor to be present. If the FBI was requiring Apple to make a version of iOS for their current line up with this backdoor and force the update, then we would have a problem. And yes I would side with Apple if that day comes. But as it stands, because Apple has control over when and how updates are rolled out to iOS devices, there is no reason why one isolated iPhone that is compromised can danger the privacy of the public if Apple did it's due diligence and don't accidently (or maliciously who knows) release this software update. For the people who argue "what if the software gets in the wrong hands"? Well that means a person that is so keen in getting into your personal information through your iPhone would not only need this piece of software (which is specific across iOS devices), but also the physical device of their victims. If doing that was easy, then the entire Android Ecosystem would be devastated by now. Any one with the knowledge can write a custom ROM for a device, bypassing security features and update it via recovery. I've yet to see that happen.  

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I've been saying this since this whole issue started. The OS had to installed on that specific phone in order for a custom made backdoor to be present. If the FBI was requiring Apple to make a version of iOS for their current line up with this backdoor and force the update, then we would have a problem. And yes I would side with Apple if that day comes. But as it stands, because Apple has control over when and how updates are rolled out to iOS devices, there is no reason why one isolated iPhone that is compromised can danger the privacy of the public if Apple did it's due diligence and don't accidently (or maliciously who knows) release this software update. For the people who argue "what if the software gets in the wrong hands"? Well that means a person that is so keen in getting into your personal information through your iPhone would not only need this piece of software (which is specific across iOS devices), but also the physical device of their victims. If doing that was easy, then the entire Android Ecosystem would be devastated by now. Any one with the knowledge can write a custom ROM for a device, bypassing security features and update it via recovery. I've yet to see that happen.  

Apple doesn't want to make the software because they don't even want to take the chance at it getting into the wrong hands.

Do you leave the keys in your car at night? or do you take them with you just to mitigate the chance of your car getting stolen...?

it's the same idea. Apple doesn't even want the chance of it getting into the wrong hands

ESXi SysAdmin

In the end it doesn't matter how the FBI wants Apple to hand them the data, it's all about creating the precedent.  If they say otherwise, they're either lying or unaware of their own usual behavior.

Once they can prove that it can be done, they'll bury Apple in court orders to unlock phones for national security reasons.  "yeah, we suspect that this junkie robbed the convenience store to give the money to a terrorist organization, so it's a matter of national security". 

I think the FBI should take up McAfee on his offer. 

If he can unlock it, it'll prove just how incompetent the feds are (They should already have all the data needed for the social engineering that McAfee plans to do). 

If he can't ... well ... watching an old man eat his shoe on live television is probably more entertaining than watching "Fame or Shame" or "America's next top hooker" anyway. 

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

because it hurts his public image, he tried to "fix it" and still failed

Gates only think that this one individual phone should be unlocked. That's all.

2 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

http://www.wsj.com/article_email/justice-department-seeks-to-force-apple-to-extract-data-from-about-12-other-iphones-1456202213-lMyQjAxMTI2MjIzMzMyMTMwWj

Once Apple does it once they will be forced to do it again and again.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

If they want back doors on us, shouldn't we be able to use back doors on them? I think we will have to wait and see what happens, Apple may go down in history for this.

Apple could literally make the program, call the FBI, never give the FBI access to said program, unlock the phone in front of them, delete the program. That part is simple enough. My issue is with the ability of the court to force Apple to create said program and the FBI's access to that program. If they don't, I have no qualm whatsoever.

It was mandated by a court. You have to remember that. If you can just say fuck off the courts, I'm Apple then what's stopping Exxon Mobil from dumping oil in the ocean for the lulz?

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:
No. You are not understanding. The FBI wants is the data decrypted. AND to have a master key to decrypt the data themselves in the future.

Bill Gates suggests a balance, which Apple can do. such as they get the phone, they decrypt it with their master key, and give the data, and not build a backdoor for the FBI to have carte blanch on everything, as FBI wants

i think apple had a master key ( or each individual key, dunno) but got rid of it in iOS 8

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

2 hours ago, Stadin6 said:

i think apple had a master key ( or each individual key, dunno) but got rid of it in iOS 8

That is is very possible

2 hours ago, RagnarokDel said:

Apple could literally make the program, call the FBI, never give the FBI access to said program, unlock the phone in front of them, delete the program. That part is simple enough. My issue is with the ability of the court to force Apple to create said program and the FBI's access to that program. If they don't, I have no qualm whatsoever.

It was mandated by a court. You have to remember that. If you can just say fuck off the courts, I'm Apple then what's stopping Exxon Mobil from dumping oil in the ocean for the lulz?

They're not just saying "fuck off" to the courts, they've filed an appeal to a higher court.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

8 hours ago, Stuff_ said:

Google security isn't this good? When was the last time you knew of a Google system that was compromised?

As far as Android security, FDE uses a 128bit AES. That is just as sufficient as Apple in this case. Trouble is, we don't know how many devices are encrypted with Android. Samsung and those that alter the source code probably add in their own (unknown) security vulnerabilities. That creates another issue.

But if you have a Nexus device with the latest OS, you are as encrypted as an iPhone.

I was saying that because google has a long history of co-operating with government agencies asking for information both related to android or to gmail conversations. Meaning that i think that if the FBI went to google and asked them to unlock a phone for them i think they would, so long as it wasnt publicized. Many of our largest companies have been in bed with governments for years and years, its just now that we are seeing them hold so much information about our lives that we cant ignore it anymore.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)