Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg side with FBI in IPhone backdoor case

zMeul

source: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/security-software/jon-martindale/gates-zuckerberg-stand-with-fbi-in-apple-phone-hack-case/

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/feb/23/bill-gates-fbi-apple-san-bernardino-killer-phone

while some companies like Google and Whatsapp side with Apple in this whole backdoor issue, few others side with the law enforcement

Gates believes that since this is a single incident, Apple should comply with the FBI’s request (as per the Guardian). He even questioned Tim Cook’s argument that weakening a single iPhone’s security would be tantamount to a back door.
“[It’s like saying nobody should] be able to get at bank records. Let’s say the bank had tied a ribbon round the disk drive and said, ‘Don’t make me cut this ribbon because you’ll make me cut it many times,'” he said.
Zuckerberg has offered more of a mixed bag of opinions. He stated on Monday that he was “sympathetic,” to Cook’s concerns, and  Facebook issued a statement last week saying it would “aggressively,” protect the security of its systems. However Zuckerberg has now clarified that if he had opportunities to work with the government to help prevent terrorist attacks, Facebook would do that.
He also claimed that organisations like his and Apple had a responsibility to help prevent different kinds of “attacks.”
Despite these firms vocing their support in opposition of Apple, the Cupertino company still plans to defend its stance on preventing a weakening of security standards on its handsets. It has argued that if one country demands it, others will too.

Gate's involvement?! I sincerely don't understand him at all .. or maybe I do since he was the one burying Netscape back in the day - browser wars ringing any bells

Zuckerberg !? he's in for the money - he doesn't give a shit about people

even MS' CEO (Satya Nadella) and CFO (Brad Smith) seem to be standing with Apple in this

Ye right, like if Microsoft and Facebook, havent done worst things aswell...

Groomlake Authority

I'm, for one, think Bill Gates is correct in what he is saying. It's just one shooters iPhone, and it is for National Security. I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

Brah, do you even Java?

2 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

-snip-

"Users privacy above all". A company should stand for what they believe. Also, they claim it would open a security breach, that could be exploited by black hats, eventually. I dunno, maybe theyr overeacting, but its good to see at least Apple, has some dignity left.

Groomlake Authority

2 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

I'm, for one, think Bill Gates is correct in what he is saying. It's just one shooters iPhone, and it is for National Security. I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

the moment you ring that bell it can't be unrung

in case you didn't knew, FBI has other phones that they want Apple to crack open: http://www.wsj.com/article_email/justice-department-seeks-to-force-apple-to-extract-data-from-about-12-other-iphones-1456202213-lMyQjAxMTI2MjIzMzMyMTMwWj

how about that, eh!?

once it starts, it will not stop

Apple only made this case loud, because some inept FBI bureaucrat went public with the request for assistance from the company. If all was kept under wraps, no doubt Apple would have done its "fare share" quickly and everything would have been over in no time. It's not that they haven't done this before.

I find Zuckerberg's comments laughable.  There are routine changes to Facebook's policy we are not told about, one major one was that users data (some, if not all) is now shared with the NSA and other security agencies.  I live in Ireland, fuck off America.

Of course says head of Facebook and Microsoft, since when have they cared about privacy? For once I feel like I actually support apple on this one, create a master key and more will be made for different reasons.

Eh I have a lot of respect for Billy G but he's been out of the game a long time.

Zuckerburg never respected privacy so I'm not surprised.

Also lol it's for "national security" use your brains people there is no immediate threat, the guy is dead.  Don't believe someone just because they tell you something.  Think about it, mull it over.  Just because they say it's for national security doesn't make it true.  

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Actually, this is not true. The quote was taking out of context (as usual for click bait action). Bill Gates doesn't side with the FBI, but rather says that there should be a balance.

Also, remember that Apple has the master key, and they can process this specific phone. Of course the FBI wants that key, but Apple can offer to process this specific phone.

4 hours ago, Tech N Gamer said:

Just because someone says "it is for national security" doesn't mean it is an entirely truthful or good thing. You must think beyond this case.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

2 hours ago, zMeul said:

Gate's involvement?! I sincerely don't understand him at all .. or maybe I do since he was the one burying Netscape back in the day - browser wars ringing any bells

Zuckerberg !? he's in for the money - he doesn't give a shit about people

Let's not be blind to the fact that this is as much a publicity play for Apple as it is these two. Apple is getting to look like the peoples' knight in shining armor while getting their brand plastered all over every news channel in existence, for free.

I'm not too sure how I feel about all this. While I don't agree with breaking into some lowly drug dealers phone, acts of terrorism should almost be an exception.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Just now, No Nrg said:

I'm not too sure how I feel about all this. While I don't agree with breaking into some lowly drug dealers phone, acts of terrorism should almost be an exception.

the other 12 phones FBI wants Apple to break aren't related to the San Bernardino attackers

so yeah, FBI saying it's a one time use is a lie

29 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:
Actually, this is not true. The quote was taking out of context (as usual for click bait action). Bill Gates doesn't side with the FBI, but rather says that there should be a balance.

Also, remember that Apple has the master key, and they can process this specific phone. Of course the FBI wants that key, but Apple can offer to process this specific phone.

Was literally about to post this. I call shenanigans in journalism again. 

40 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

taken out of context!? no he wasn't! he just backtracked on what he originally said:

This is a specific case where the government is asking for access to information. They are not asking for some general thing, they are asking for a particular case

this whole debacle is about FBI's request not being a particular case

as I said, FBI already has other 12 IPhones they want Apple to break into

not surprised...

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

25 minutes ago, zMeul said:

taken out of context!? no he wasn't! he just backtracked on what he originally said:

this whole debacle is about FBI's request not being a particular case

Clarifying, because the journalist suck at understanding, is not backtracking.

Wait, Whatsapp is on the side of Apple... But Facebook is not (well, Mark is not, who really is the face of Facebook), while Facebook owns Whatsapp? :o RIP.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually, I would say that Bill's idea of balance is heavily sided with the government, so of course he sides with wanting Apple to hand over the keys, since his own company has been doing it all along, sometimes on products before they even launch:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/microsoft-nsa-collaboration-user-data

Rock On!

Hold on a minute... I see a large, no scratch that, MASSIVE gap of logic between what Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg have said, and what is being reported.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Clarifying, because the journalist suck at understanding, is not backtracking.

call it whatever you want

check the blooberg interview where the said he was missunderstood: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-02-23/gates-disputes-report-that-he-backs-fbi-in-apple-dispute

with the right safeguards there are cases where The Government on our behalf ...

that right there is damning to his whole "defense"

the US Gov is a fucking joke in regards of using NSA and other entities to stop terrorism

they are fucking incompetent with all the mass surveillance they have at their disposal to predict and stop attacks on US soil  - how many incidents already happened ...

Here we are talking about what we know so far, which is only the tip of the iceberg. The real reason for what they are doing is why they are doing is all buried under their self interest which only they know about. We know we are fucked when we don't have control over our own government. Doesn't democracy mean what we want?

3 hours ago, Tech N Gamer said:

I don't understand why this is such a big deal.

The fact that you don't understand why this is a big deal mirrors how big of a deal this all is.

it isn't as simple as  "plug it in at the apple HQ and *poof* we take down the terrorists". 

at the end of the day, the FBI (and all of the gov't agencies or malicious users following that) will, if apple complies, have a key to any device. 

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

1 minute ago, RexinOridle said:

Here we are talking about what we know so far, which is only the tip of the iceberg. The real reason for what they are doing is why they are doing is all buried under their self interest which only they know about. We know we are fucked when we don't have control over our own government. Doesn't democracy mean what we want?

It does - but remember that tech savvy informed citizens are but a small percentage of the overall population of any given country. In the US, most citizens don't understand the ramifications of what the FBI wants to do, so they side with the FBI because "terrorism is scary", and because they don't understand the risks that Apple is warning them about.

So that means that in the current state, most Americans would probably side with the FBI, thus, allowing their actions to be "democratic" - and in a pure democracy, it really doesn't matter if the citizens are ill-informed, uneducated, don't understand the technology or the situation, etc. All that matters is the will of the people - even if their collective will is against their own best interests.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Apple does not have "the master key". they refuse to forge it. and for good reason!

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all