Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg side with FBI in IPhone backdoor case

zMeul

Two men who have close government ties endorse a backdoor. Who would have guessed?

Bill Gates goes to those Bilderberg meetings where governments also visit.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

3 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

I was saying that because google has a long history of co-operating with government agencies asking for information both related to android or to gmail conversations. Meaning that i think that if the FBI went to google and asked them to unlock a phone for them i think they would, so long as it wasnt publicized. Many of our largest companies have been in bed with governments for years and years, its just now that we are seeing them hold so much information about our lives that we cant ignore it anymore.

I'm not certain but I think Google announced support for Apple in this issue. Also Google gives them the GMail records they have just like Apple has already given the FBI the iCloud information. They provide all the information they can. The issue here is that the FBI is asking to go get information that they don't currently have access to.

19 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

"Users privacy above all". A company should stand for what they believe. Also, they claim it would open a security breach, that could be exploited by black hats, eventually. I dunno, maybe theyr overeacting, but its good to see at least Apple, has some dignity left.

Just playing devils advocate, I actually agree with Apple here but its not just a user, its a terrorist...

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Just playing devils advocate, I actually agree with Apple here but its not just a user, its a terrorist...

Lol.  A terrorist?

In the USA 280,000 people have been killed by DOMESTIC gun violence in the last decade.

24 have been killed, domestically, by "Terrorist" attacks in the last decade.

Your local criminals are not far off being infinitely more dangerous than your scary "terrorists".

They already had the ability to get into the phone, they screwed that up either on purpose, to force Apple to help them, or because they're incompetent morons.

Either way the FBI needs to just give up.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

22 hours ago, SeriousDad69 said:

Just think about the slippery slope! If they help the FBI break into a mass murdering Muslim terrorist's phone, maybe serial killers and pedophiles will be next! Don't want that to happen.

Don't be naive please.

edit

(lame autocorrect)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

11 hours ago, Kamina said:

Two men who have close government ties endorse a backdoor. Who would have guessed?

Bill Gates goes to those Bilderberg meetings where governments also visit.

If you read Marks' full quote you will see that he actually sided with Apple. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

On 2/23/2016 at 0:20 PM, SeriousDad69 said:

Just think about the slippery slope! If they help the FBI break into a mass murdering Muslim terrorist's phone, maybe serial killers and pedophiles will be next! Don't want that to happen.

14 hours ago, Albatross said:

Don't be naive please.

edit

(lame autocorrect)

-snip-

The irony here, Albatross, is the USA should ONLY be cracking the phones of its domestic criminals.  

The term "terrorism" is simply a political tool these days to frighten voters into voting.

Gun crime is the SINGLE most important issue facing the USA today, NOT "terrorism".  Check out the stats online, the USA is currently the laughing stock of the world because of each citizen's desired right to murder an intruder.  Yet they fail to connect the dots when the numbers are shown to them (they are above in my previous post, and plastered everywhere online).  Ignorant as per usual I suppose.  

This is the nation on the verge of electing Donald Trump though, I shouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Blade of Grass

2 minutes ago, xeon48 said:

Gun crime is the SINGLE most important issue facing the USA today, NOT "terrorism".  Check out the stats online, the USA is currently the laughing stock of the world because of each citizen's desired right to murder an intruder.  Yet they fail to connect the dots when the numbers are shown to them (they are above in my previous post, and plastered everywhere online).  Ignorant as per usual I suppose.  

This is the nation on the verge of electing Donald Trump though, I shouldn't be surprised.

Stop changing the topic, this is not a thread about gun crime or gun control laws.

this forum is simply a discussion on the Apple/FBI case specifically BG and MZ's thoughts.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Just now, Sunshine1868 said:

Stop changing the topic, this is not a thread about gun crime or gun control laws.

this forum is simply a discussion on the Apple/FBI case specifically BG and MZ's thoughts.

I was pointing out that cracking domestic criminal's phones would be more effective on national security than cracking "terrorist's" phones.  How is this not "on topic" ?

@xeon48 I'm just saying that bringing up gun violence as a big problem and making jabs at Trump are not on topic and they are probably what's getting your posts deleted.

ESXi SysAdmin

Just now, Sunshine1868 said:

@xeon48 I'm just saying that bringing up gun violence as a big problem and making jabs at Trump are not on topic and they are probably what's getting your posts deleted.

You're probably right, forgot about the Trump jab - the man kills me inside.

I think Apple is right to protect a user's information. He locked his phone down, so obviously he doesn't want people to see it. The consumer has every right to do so, and the manufacturer of the product has every right to refuse to get involved. I would do the same thing Apple is doing.

If I lock my phone down, and someone wants access to it, then the have to go through me to get in. If I am dead, then tough luck. You can't force the maker of my phone to unlock it. 

I'm not SAV1OUR. I promise. | Number of successfully bricked phones: 1 Samsung Galaxy S5 | 01001001 01110100 00100000 01110111 01100001 01110011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100001 01101110 00100000 01100101 01101100 01100001 01100010 01101111 01110010 01100001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01110010 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101110

16 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

I was saying that because google has a long history of co-operating with government agencies asking for information both related to android or to gmail conversations. Meaning that i think that if the FBI went to google and asked them to unlock a phone for them i think they would, so long as it wasnt publicized. Many of our largest companies have been in bed with governments for years and years, its just now that we are seeing them hold so much information about our lives that we cant ignore it anymore.

Oh plleeeeeease. Google provides Gmail records (with a court order) as does Apple with iCloud information. 

As if Apple is some saint. 

So apparently (from the radio news), the FBI is no longer asking for a backdoor for the encryption system. Instead they are asking to remove Apples delay system after multiple attempt password pin code fail.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So apparently (from the radio news), the FBI is no longer asking for a backdoor for the encryption system. Instead they are asking to remove Apples delay system after multiple attempt password pin code fail.

Did you even read my posts? thats what they've been asking for all along. they want the delays removed, they want the guess limit removed, they want the ability to make guesses via usb interface, and all of this has to be built into a revised version of iOS... This is all considered (and hence named) a backdoor.

ESXi SysAdmin

2 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

Did you even read my posts? thats what they've been asking for all along. they want the delays removed, they want the guess limit removed, they want the ability to make guesses via usb interface, and all of this has to be built into a revised version of iOS... This is all considered (and hence named) a backdoor.

Hey don't blame me, if every news source has a different version of the story, with different details.

@GoodBytes Just because you are a moderator does not put you above reading and fact-checking other people in the forum. I have told you more than once what the issue is, how the issue can be solved, and why its a shitty situation. Please read people's comments and, if it gets agreed with, maybe consider looking into that comment a little more. Multiple times when I have explained things, it has been agreed with more than once because what I am saying in this matter is the facts. I am keeping very up to date on it as IT security and encryption are in my field of work, so I promise I will be keeping up on every news source to make sure I have the facts right.

ESXi SysAdmin

14 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

@GoodBytes Just because you are a moderator does not put you above reading and fact-checking other people in the forum.

What?

I have told you more than once what the issue is, how the issue can be solved, and why its a shitty situation. Please read people's comments and, if it gets agreed with, maybe consider looking into that comment a little more. Multiple times when I have explained things, it has been agreed with more than once because what I am saying in this matter is the facts. I am keeping very up to date on it as IT security and encryption are in my field of work, so I promise I will be keeping up on every news source to make sure I have the facts right.

Not my problem if you don't know how to explain yourself.

@GoodBytes I have been explaining myself quite well in multiple threads here. You clearly have not been reading.

On 2/23/2016 at 0:34 PM, Sunshine1868 said:

Apple CAN'T DECRYPT IT... the code of iOS is written so that the only way to decrypt the data is by MANUALLY entering the PASSCODE when you hit the HOME BUTTON. 

the FBI wants them to rewrite iOS to allow for DIGITAL, UNLIMITED entry of the passcode via the port on the bottom so that they can BRUTE FORCE the passcode.

so as I said, the "key" (read: the crippled iOS software) does not exist, and apple is refusing to make it (hence Tim Cook's writings and the impending lawsuit).

for a "staff moderator" you don't know wtf is going on...

@GoodBytes ^this happened a while ago. I suggest you read it again...

ESXi SysAdmin

i personally see this to be like the episode of south park where the tramps invade, cartman gives one tramp some change all of a sudden the next day the town is full of tramps begging for change except replace cartman with apple and the tramps with government agencies once they make an exception for one phone they will have the FBI CIA MI6 MI5  DGSI BND INTERPOL everyone begging for them to do the same thing again and again 

I lurk a lot

20 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

@GoodBytes ^this happened a while ago. I suggest you read it again...

Yes, and? I was corrected here. iOS 7 and earlier had a master key, now iOS 8 doesn't (at least if Apple is to be believed. But I choose to believe that they do a master key, all non-open source encryption by a non-security company, have a master key, for the "just in case". But I fine, I'll apply the benefit of the doubt).

The FBI is not asking to rewrite the iOS OS, but to have a way to by-pass the delay. At the time, news source I read, said that FBI wants a backdoor/master key to decrypt the the encrypted data.

You should include your sources.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

The FBI is not asking to rewrite the iOS OS, but to have a way to by-pass the delay. At the time, news source I read, said that FBI wants a backdoor/master key to decrypt the the encrypted data.

The only way for these security features can be bypassed is by rewriting iOS. 

The only "key" that decrypts the device is the users passcode. that is the way the system is designed.

ESXi SysAdmin

5 minutes ago, Sunshine1868 said:

The only way for these security features can be bypassed is by rewriting iOS. 

The only "key" that decrypts the device is the users passcode. that is the way the system is designed.

No. They can just need to modify the code of the lock screen. And release it as update, updatable through the lightning connector, something the iPhone does support for recovery.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

No. They can just need to modify the code of the lock screen. And release it as update, updatable through the lightning connector, something the iPhone does support for recovery.

Where might this code for the lock screen security reside, hmm?   They have to alter iOS. they have to alter multiple places in the code for the different functionalities (how the lock screen accepts password attempts, how many attempts the security section will allow, disabling the wipe feature in a another place in the security section)

Its not like they write 3 if/else/than statements and *poof* magically everything works.

There are likely hundreds of lines of code that would need to be deleted/changed/added in iOS to make this all work.

ESXi SysAdmin