Facebook Is Changing How Your News Feed Works

SansVarnic

Facebook Is Changing How Your News Feed Works

By ALYSSA NEWCOMB of ABCNews

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebook-changing-news-feed-works/story?id=36664642

Other sources:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-algorithm-changes-up-your-news-feed-again/

http://www.macworld.com/article/3027983/software/facebooks-latest-news-feed-overhaul-puts-stories-you-want-to-see-at-the-top.html

http://time.com/4204687/facebook-change-news-feed/

PHOTO:A woman checks the Facebook Inc. site on her smartphone while standing against an illuminated wall bearing the Facebook Inc. logo in this arranged photograph in London, Dec. 23, 2015.

Well I guess Face has finally listened to users that wanted a better news feed than what Facebook has been giving up til now.

The key to getting visibility in a Facebook News Feed is no longer just about how many likes and comments a post receives.

The social network is now relying on user feedback to help it deliver a more meaningful News Feed experience to its 1.6 billion users, according to a blog post from Facebook software engineers Cheng Zhang and Si Chen.

The result is an updated algorithm that will weigh the level of engagement on a post as well as the likelihood a user may want to see it at the top of their feed.

Facebook also made key changes to News Feed last summer when it began allowing users to take control of their News Feed preference, allowing users to select group of pages and friends whose posts Facebook promises to always share first at the top of a user's News Feed.

Well I guess for those that use Facebook can rejoice in this update as they will be able to view news they are interested in instead of random articles that means nothing based on ad placement. Relevant news to shown now instead of articles to promote things that investors want shown.

I do like that this news is showing progress (a bit late though IMO) but for me its not enough for me to get back into Facebook . . .  

[Facebook lost me 8 years ago. After 6 months of use I figured out it was a waste of my intelligence.]

Anyway, the thing is Facebook is actually listening and giving back to the community what it has been asking for instead of giving another useless thing nobody asked for.

Thoughts?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

How about we just go back to a default most recent post timeline.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 minutes ago, vetali said:

How about we just go back to a default most recent post timeline.

for real tho. Always annoying having to change it every damn time.

But also I don't like some algorithm telling me what I like!

I use FB to get free stuff.  Yup that's it.  I have gotten exactly 0 things from contests involving FB.  <<<Just felt like throwing that in there.

I guess this might be a step in the right direction for those that want more information of their choosing, but c'mon.  If you want to learn about ANY topic, FB should not be the place you turn to.

4 minutes ago, mcfly said:

exactly. all the posts i see are dumb click baits. like this person put his dick in butter and you'll never expect the result and then all the thots posting half naked pics that all the fuck bois like so it shows up on top stories 

1010011010/29A

A few years ago they let us choose what types of posts we see from individual friends and pages. They changed that to a Follow (everything) and Unfollow (everything) system. Whoever made that decision is a fucking retard.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

1 hour ago, mcfly said:

1 hour ago, Chasem121 said:

The only thing I ever use facebook for is to message people

And then, sometimes you still dont see what your friends post until days later when someone your not friends with comments on it.

Kurzegaght ( is thatvhow you spell it?) did a great video on why facebook is an asshole.

- snip-

Can we go back to when Facebook was a social networking site, and not a media outlet?

2 hours ago, BrianS said:

Can we go back to when Facebook was a social networking site, and not a media outlet?

Its too late for that now! it's become sentient!

Yes FB is a joke these days. It was a joke 8years ago as well. IMPO FB was never of any useful part of life.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Because god forbid they focus on optimizing the damn thing, at least once. Or make it so your photos aren't pixelated when you upload them. Instead it's a new skin every year. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

33 minutes ago, DerakDerantick said:

Thanks for finding it! I was on miblr when I posted and I couldn't be bothered to find a link. :P

- snip-

15 hours ago, Chasem121 said:

I use it to keep track of birthdays.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I hate facebook. the what comes in what order in the feed is just crap. 

And I dont use facebook now.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 2/3/2016 at 0:04 AM, Chasem121 said:

I stopped. I used it to group chat with cousins and friends. we moved to other platforms. if msngr is all you use it for, you should probably persuade your mates to use another platform with you. don't suggest a shitty one that is missing features msngr already has, or you'll fail :/

I got lucky, back before GIF support, gifs were a selling point to my cousins/friends. so moving them over was easy lol

18 minutes ago, Flashport said:

I stopped. I used it to group chat with cousins and friends. we moved to other platforms. if msngr is all you use it for, you should probably persuade your mates to use another platform with you. don't suggest a shitty one that is missing features msngr already has, or you'll fail :/

I got lucky, back before GIF support, gifs were a selling point to my cousins/friends. so moving them over was easy lol

My problem is that the only other thing that most people seem to use is Skype which is a fucking horrible program and the web interface only works maybe 40% of the time.

Facebook is actually really good for staying connected to people you normally lose touch with because just about everyone has one and can get messages fairly easily. Its also really easy for things like sharing my vacation photos (because family always begs for them). Its just if you go to it to view the feed or someone's profile that it starts sucking hard core.

I just use the mobile messenger on my phone and trillian to tap into the messenger when im on desktops, i stay away from the site itself.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)