Japanese company announced 2.5" Non-NVME 13TB and 10TB SATA SSD drives (updated)

snowComet

A Japanese company called "FixStars Corporation", which has its headquarters in Tokyo, has just announced a 2.5" 13TB and 10TB SSD drives (Noted that these 2 SSDs are not NVME drives).

13000M_500x375b.jpg

13000M_500x375a.jpg

The model numbers of 13TB and 10TB SSDs are "FixStars SSD-13000M" and "Fixstars SSD-10000M". They both SATA 6Gbps drives, and are made of 15nm MLC NAND chips, and using their in-house made controller, which stated in the press release, that it can offer a stable sequential I / O performance over a long period of time, while the Max. read and write speed of those 2 SSDs are 580 & 520 MB/s respectively. Noted that these 2 drives are both 15mm thick, and came with a 3 year warranty.

In the press release FixStars stated that these SSDs are suitable for storage, streaming, CG / VFX editing, 4K / 8K video processing, which required stable sequential access to large volumes of data.

Also in the press release it was stated that pre-order today (13 Jan) in Japan and US, and the drives will be shipped in late Feb. Price of these 2 SSDs are still yet to confirm, as I'm still digging, and will be updated later.

Press release from FixStars

http://www.fixstars.com/ja/news/?p=927 (in Japanese)

Product Spec

http://www.fixstars.com/ja/ssd/spec/ (in Japanese)

http://www.gdm.or.jp/pressrelease/2016/0113/147631 (in Japanese)

*update on 14/01/2015: PC World estimated that this drive could cost around $13000, although the official price still wasn't determined by FixStars. Also the drives would be sold directly via by FixStars, and it won't be available through any online retail stores or sites.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3021886/hardware/the-worlds-first-13tb-ssd-is-here.html

English version of the press release from FixStars

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/fixstars-launches-ssd-13000m-the-worlds-largest-13tb-ssd-for-applications-such-as-object-storage-and-streaming-content-distribution-300203742.html

Product Spec listed on the FixStars US site

http://www.fixstars.com/en/ssd/spec/

wtf I want 2 for game recording but it is way more than I will probably ever spend on storage.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Lol. Who in their right mind would purchase something that will end up costing as much as a new rig.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Lol. Who in their right mind would purchase something that will end up costing as much as a new rig.

Without more information around redundancy, power protection, and durability I'd take a stab in the dark and estimate this is intended for enterprise. 

someone who needs to store 13TB without seek times? (literally no one)

In the press statement they stated these drives are designated for streaming, CG and 4K/8K Video editing and etc....

"Object storage, streaming, CG / VFX editing, such as 4K / 8K video processing, making it ideal for applications that require stable sequential access to large volumes of data. " (via translation from Google)

someone who needs to store 13TB without seek times? (literally no one)

Servers??

OT: I want one, not that I will get one any where near that storage space for at least another 4-5 years

Desktop Build
Spoiler
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212X
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866MHz - 16GB
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB, MSI GeForce GTX 780 - 3GB
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Western Digital Blue - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 1TB, Seagate Barracuda - 3TB
PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 750W
Display(s): Dell Ultrasharp 27" (2560 x 1440)
Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014
Mouse: Logitech G502
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Laptop
Spoiler
Current
CPU: Intel Core i7-4710HQ
RAM: 16GB
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970M
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB, Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 - 1TB
Display(s): 15.6" IPS Display (1920 x 1080)
Operating System: Windows 8.1

Old - Given away
CPU: Intel Core i7 2630QM
RAM: 6GB
GPU: Nvidia GT 540M
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro - 128GB, Toshiba - 750GB
Display(s): 15.6" Display (1366 x 768)
Operating System: Windows 7

Other (Audio & Devices)
Spoiler
Speakers: Creative Gigaworks T40 Series II
Headphones: Sennheiser Momentum - Over-Ear
Bluetooth Speaker: Logitech UE Boom, Logitech UE Boom 2
Tablet: iPad 4th Gen
Phone: LG G4

Phone Accessories:
3 Spare Batteries
1 Battery Pack (10000 mAh)
IEMs: Can't Remember....

Retired Devices:
Samsung S4 (Broke... Half Fixed, Given away)
NDS (Traded in)
iPod Touch 2nd Gen (Traded in)
iPod Touch 4th Gen (Damaged Power Connector)

Oh, I can think of quite a few people, just on this forum alone...

HUMBLEMOBO!!!! WE'VE FOUND YOU A NEW STORAGE DRIVE!!!

they seem quite thick for 2.5" drives.

quoting luke from the wan show a while back:

"well, its 2.5 inches wide, just also 10 foot tall"

Honestly, I would not mind just having an SSD that's like a 3.5" HDD form factor, but just crammed to the teeth with NAND chips. It'd probably suck as much power as an HDD, but it'd still be frickin' awesome :D

Looking at the power draw on this thing - yep, 3W at idle, 6W on load. Don't think about putting one of these in your laptop, even if it has the space.

That single 2.5" drive has more storage than my entire home server. 

I'll take 10. Just wait for me to find someone that wants a kidney and half a liver.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Honestly, I would not mind just having an SSD that's like a 3.5" HDD form factor, but just crammed to the teeth with NAND chips. It'd probably suck as much power as an HDD, but it'd still be frickin' awesome :D

but that thing is literally thicker than any modern laptop - IMO the only place where huge size SSDs really make sense.

(servers will use more small size drives for redundancy, and actually use them for redundancy *cough*, and either way, they dont fit in standard 2.5" bays either.)

nah i'm still sticking to hard drives.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Considering that name brand companies like samsung and intel arent even close to those capacities, i wouldn't get one... probably cheap parts just stacked up. Id love to see what the failure rate is

Looking at the power draw on this thing - yep, 3W at idle, 6W on load. Don't think about putting one of these in your laptop, even if it has the space.

The 6.5W is maximum load power consumption.

Shouldn't be too bad should it? 840 Evos can hit a little over 3W active and some sandisk ones hit up to 6W.

If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

I'm sitting here wondering why they haven't made that yet...

or they could cram 2 2.5" SSDs in RAID 0 inside a 3.5" form factor drive...

I'm sitting here wondering why they haven't made that yet...

or they could cram 2 2.5" SSDs in RAID 0 inside a 3.5" form factor drive...

Well... you say that... >.> Enermax has a HDD-styled drive enclosure that has two 2.5" bays, connectors and a small RAID controller that you can use to make a RAID 0, 1 or JBOD array. :D

Ninja'd by the folks at Enermax, the least likely company to ninja anyone on their wish EVER! :D

Only 3 years of warranty?! Hahaha haha ha aa... no thanks

Error: 451                             

I'm not copying helping, really :P

The 6.5W is maximum load power consumption.

Shouldn't be too bad should it? 840 Evos can hit a little over 3W active and some sandisk ones hit up to 6W.

I thought normal SSDs had an idle power consumption of, like .5W and a load of 1.5W or something. Higher-end drives, sure, but those are built for desktops. The more power-sippy ones are more appropriate for something like a laptop. Which is why no-one ever bought an Intel SSD for theirs.

Servers??

OT: I want one, not that I will get one any where near that storage space for at least another 4-5 years

Sorry, cost wise it doesn't make any sense to become an early adopter.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

this is not going to be a consumer grade drive. They will likely be used in servers. Also, a 3 year warranty is damn amazing for any kind of storage.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I thought normal SSDs had an idle power consumption of, like .5W and a load of 1.5W or something. Higher-end drives, sure, but those are built for desktops. The more power-sippy ones are more appropriate for something like a laptop. Which is why no-one ever bought an Intel SSD for theirs.

I don't know about regular power consumption, just talking about the maximums because that's what they list on the site.

post-155826-0-81299600-1452657929_thumb.

So for a 10/13TB drive, that doesn't seem that bad.

Being in the enterprise, I'd expect it to be read from and written to more or less constantly for a really large amount of the time. A good-quality SSD will last around half that time of being roasted to death by constant writes (and in that time it'll write multiple petabytes of data before kicking the bucket - far beyond what any normal SSD would write to in its lifespan). In that sort of situation, a solid 10-year warranty on one of those SSDs would not help you, because the drive was being [ab]used far beyond its intended use case. An enterprise-level warranty would almost certainly cover any kind of use circumstances you'd expect in a server environment - packed in a tight space, dumping heat into each other, running at full load for a long time - so a 3-year warranty doesn't seem that bad, given how much load enterprise drives are put under.

I mean, you're talking about guaranteeing a drive to operate at high load without fault for 3 years. That's an eternity for a server drive.