AMD Zen APU Featuring HBM Spotted – 128GB/S Of Memory Bandwidth And Large On-Board GPU

Mr_Troll

AMD Zen APU Featuring HBM Spotted – 128GB/S Of Memory Bandwidth And Large On-Board GPU

An AMD Zen based APU featuring stacked High Bandwidth Memory – HBM – with 128GB/s of bandwidth and a large on-board GPU has been spotted. This came to light via a paper co-authored by one of AMD’s highest ranking graphics engineers, Mike Mantor.This isn’t the first time that we’ve actually caught wind of AMD working on next generation products featuring HBM and die stacking technology in general. In fact, going all the way back to 2012 AMD’s head of the die stacking program ,Bryan Black, gave a public talk titled Die stacking and the system on die stacking technology and the pivotal role it’s going to play in AMD’s future products.

AMD-Die-Stacking.jpg

Black ,notably, is one of the leading engineers responsible for bringing HBM to market with AMD’s Fiji GPU and the Radeon R9 Fury series. He is also still involved in all of AMD’s products currently in-development that make use of die stacking technology.

AMD Zen APU Featuring HBM Spotted – 128GB/S Of Memory Bandwidth And Larger On-Board GPU Than Before

This latest paper is very interesting for a couple of reasons, the first is because it carries a very intriguing illustration that depicts a Zen APU featuring a next generation fully memory coherent interocnnect, dubbed Onion3 capable of 50GB/S of total bandwidth. This chip fabric is based on the evolution of the AMD coherent memory technology in Carrizo which is in itself is an improved design of the Playstation 4 and XBOX ONE’s interconnects. The illustration also makes mention of “more CUs” referring to graphics compute units, which indicates that Zen APUs will feature larger and more capable on-board graphics engines than what we’ve seen before.

AMD-Zen-APU-With-HBM.jpg

Additionally, the Zen based APU is also shown featuring HBM memory with 128GB/S of bandwidth. Which is the amount of bandwidth a single 4-Hi stack of first generation HBM can deliver. And that’s surprising, considering that in 2016 second generation HBM is expected to come to market with Nvidia’s Pascal and AMD’s Arctic Islandsm graphics chips. What’s even more peculiar is that the compandy did not announce any Zen based APUs for 2016. Instead, at AMDs Financial analyst day Zen based APUs and enterprise class products were said to be coming in 2017.

So the gtx 960 has a memory bandwith of 112 GB/s. This should be faster. OK. progress boys

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-zen-hbm-apu-spotted/

blue nugroho twitter (insider?)

Intel Core i7 7800x @ 5.0 Ghz with 1.305 volts (really good chip), Mesh OC @ 3.3 Ghz, Fractal Design Celsius S36, Asrock X299 Killer SLI/ac, 16 GB Adata XPG Z1 OCed to  3600 Mhz , Aorus  RX 580 XTR 8G, Samsung 950 evo, Win 10 Home - loving it :D

Had a Ryzen before ... but  a bad bios flash killed it :(

MSI GT72S Dominator Pro G - i7 6820HK, 980m SLI, Gsync, 1080p, 16 GB RAM, 2x128 GB SSD + 1TB HDD, Win 10 home

still don't get the Point about those APUs ^^

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

With these specs it will overpower a 750 Ti + i3 combo.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Zen APU's aren't even suppose to come out till 2017. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Well you could effectively get R9 390 + APU performance, which is about a 12% increase in compute power.

And really in some games, that is the difference between a solid 60fps and a jittery one.

Doesent matter how good the GPU is if the CPU is still shitty.

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

So the gtx 960 has a memory bandwith of 112 GB/s. This should be faster. OK. progress boys

That's great and all, but that doesn't mean the APU will actually utilize that in any way. This whole thing could be a complete letdown just like Bulldozer. The IGP could even be trash.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

To even add on, the effect of faster RAM on i3s are already to 20% performance gain in some cases, having ridiculously fast RAM on an APU is going to help performance, quite alot.

That's great and all, but that doesn't mean the APU will actually utilize that in any way. This whole thing could be a complete letdown just like Bulldozer. The IGP could even be trash.

We can only pray and hope AMD doesn't screw up anymore.

It's all about the 1050TI anyway, ;)

Won't exist :D

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Ehh, AMD took way too long, it's why i have bought a 4670k and z97 board.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Funny so much of this Zen APU news on very start of new year and yet they were meant to come later. I hope we see more actual and good news about Zen CPUs though cause that will be one of the main interests this year.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Wait apus have vram, I thought they used the regular ram like intel igpus, i feel dumb now.

Current gen ones don't.

HBM would make it more feasible for APUs to have their own RAM on die though.

But the idea of HSA is that the CPU and GPU can access the same pool of memory without the GPU having to copy it.

Iris pro 6200 already comes close to a 750 (non ti of course) and destroys an i3 being on a higher end i5 chip, and that was august last year. If it catches on Intel can probably release an i3/5 combo that performs at 950 or even 960 levels.

It looks nice for SoC systems in the future but not for AMD if the best they can manage is just a merely 750ti level.

-------

Current Rig

-------

if they make the memory pool shared for GPU and CPU it will be a huge advantage - exactly how the APUs on the XB1 and PS4 work

Current gen ones don't.

HBM would make it more feasible for APUs to have their own RAM on die though.

But the idea of HSA is that the CPU and GPU can access the same pool of memory without the GPU having to copy it.

Good to know that I'm not stupid, honestly apus are not something that interests me as I'm not on a tight budget, but this could be promising for those who are, assuming the cpus these come with are really good people will be happy.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Wait apus have vram, I thought they used the regular ram like intel igpus, i feel dumb now.

They will ... They do. You're not dumb. Times are a-changin'.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Good to know that I'm not stupid, honestly apus are not something that interests me as I'm not on a tight budget, but this could be promising for those who are, assuming the cpus these come with are really good people will be happy.

It should interest enthusiasts too. Stacking the iGPU onto the dGPU XFire, even without DX 12 and Vulcan Multiadaptor in play, will have its benefits.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I like them purely because I had a good run of A8s that clocked very well :P

if they make the memory pool shared for GPU and CPU it will be a huge advantage - exactly how the APUs on the XB1 and PS4 work

still don't think that APU is the future, but glad they R&D something :)

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

I personally think APU is the far (emphasis on far) future, where we will likely see one small chip effectively do everything. For now, APUs can satisfy a lot of cases where most users are not power users and most devices are not meant for crazy performance. It is quite underwhelming now, but I think it might be the way to go in the future.

I personally think APU is the far (emphasis on far) future, where we will likely see one small chip effectively do everything. For now, APUs can satisfy a lot of cases where most users are not power users and most devices are not meant for crazy performance. It is quite underwhelming now, but I think it might be the way to go in the future.

Yeah, imagine how small a gaming rig could get wihtout the need for a seperate GPU

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Intel, IBM, Oracle, AMD, and Nvidia all believe integrated heterogeneous processing is the future. Thinking differently basically requires you to be ignorant, stupid, or an undiscovered genius. I don't think a statistical analysis is necessary.