[update]Steam has been compromised - SOLVED

Misanthrope
Go to solution Solved by Nowak,

A Steam community moderator has spoken up.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/458604254431478327/

From the post:

Some frequently asked questions:

- No, Steam is not hacked

- Creditcard info and phone numbers are, as required by law, censored and not visible to users

GUYS just chill, if your steam shit gets stolen make sure you write down EVERY game and item you had before that. It's ok if you didn't though, pretty sure steam can just check the logs. But don't worry too much about ingame items, contact steam support later after christmas and they will give you your stuff back IF you have email confirm and phone confirm active. Just worry about your location and shit.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Im pretty sure steam has gone offline

'Make sure to wear a wool sweater and to stand on a carpet while working on PC's' -Linus 2015

Yeah, it took me to this russian guy's store cart.

Then, it took me to a spanish guy's account.

Then to a chinese one.

It's fucked

Origin is fine btw.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

#UncheckSaveMyInformationForLaterMasterRace

jk, Valve royally fucked up. They'd better give me free games even though I wasn't really affected (sorry, my greediness is kicking in)

*bro-fist*

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Welp. 

Skjermbilde%202015-12-25%2023.11.56.png

Those attacks aren't going towards Washington state. They're going to California. Valve is in Washington, not California.

Wrong and wrong!

This isn't an attack/hack.  Their database is just glitching the f out.  It happens.

A database doesn't just glitch out like that, at least not in this way haha. It doesn't happen.

This is a screw up from the inside or a premeditated attack on their servers sadly enough.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

I just signed out. Bad idea?

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

Those attacks aren't going towards Washington state. They're going to California. Valve is in Washington, not California.

Yeah. this is a glitch for valve not an attack, there trying to take out xbox and ps4, but after last year they have beefed up the defenses. btw origin is still fine.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

A database doesn't just glitch out like that, at least not in this way haha. It doesn't happen.

This is a screw up from the inside or a premeditated attack on their servers sadly enough.

Exactly. There's no reason why Valves backend would do this without either a fuck up or an attack.

Given the fact it's Christmas day I'd wager the latter.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

So I found a source on reddit claiming its just a bug with the configuration of the varnish caching servers. Its leaking read data for customers because its caching pages it shouldn't but its not possible to make payments or anything like that because that would be a write and hence bypasses the caching servers.

GG volvo, you just rekt every pc gamer on earth with this fuck up, take it down for as long as possible or this is going to turn into the greatest fuck up since psn got destroyed and stood down for over a month, i hope my account didn't end up with a asshole ttrying to do shit just because, then again i don't have cc or paypal linked and only 2 cents in my wallet.

Also they should give everyone something for fucking up this bad (and I'm totally saying that because i got shit for Christmas and i want rocket league...)

What does a car manufacturer have to do with this?

Steam has NOT been comprised, what a clickbait title!

---

The Caching servers had an experimental image pushed to them (perhaps human error) and this has caused the issues with the store/account section showing other peoples information, NOTE: you could never actually purchase any games via other peoples account as it was only a cached page. Its still a big deal but its not a hacking or anything. They have shut the Steam store down for now until its fixed. Your information has been safe since the store had its client connection cut. Just keep an eye for password reset emails/account change request emails.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

---

The Caching servers had an experimental image pushed to them (perhaps human error) and this has caused the issues with the store/account section showing other peoples information. Its still a big deal but its not a hacking or anything. They have shut the Steam store down for now until its fixed. Your information has been save since the store had its client connection cut. Just keep an eye for password reset emails/account change request emails.

It has been compromised. How else would you describe it?

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

---

The Caching servers had an experimental image pushed to them (perhaps human error) and this has caused the issues with the store/account section showing other peoples information. Its still a big deal but its not a hacking or anything. They have shut the Steam store down for now until its fixed. Your information has been save since the store had its client connection cut. Just keep an eye for password reset emails/account change request emails.

So it's an internal screw up, good to hear that. Makes me a hell lot happier than knowing that it was an attack. Screw ups happen. Feel bad for the person that caused it though, guessing this'll cost quite a bit of money to valve considering the holidays.

CPU: i7-4770K  Cooler: NZXT X60  GPU: Asus GTX 770 2GB  MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  PSU: Be Quiet! 630 Watt  Case: NZXT H440 

Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 Evo + 1TB Seagate HDD  KeyboardCorsair K70 RGB  MouseG502 Proteus Spectrum  HeadphoneSennheiser HD598  Mic: Blue Snowball Ice

Store and Account details are down for me (don't load at all) so I think Valve just fully disabled it for now as they're fixing the problem.

Edit: yeah, I see earlier comments confirm it.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

It has been compromised. How else would you describe it?

Its not been comprised as in something external has gained internal access, that is what I would call compromised. I would say that its indirectly been showing cached information to the wrong people. Still a big deal.

Your payment information will still be safe and nothing can be bought using it, as I said cached info only.... Even if you did know the last 3 numbers of a persons card/ Paypal info, you would error out as soon as you hit the live payment page.

So it's an internal screw up, good to hear that. Makes me a hell lot happier than knowing that it was an attack. Screw ups happen.

I stand corrected, but still not an attack.  xD

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Employee fucked up.  If an employee spilled water on everything would you claim that a hack too?

Compromised simply means it's not functioning correctly. How it was compromised is irrelevant, the fact remains it's doing something it shouldn't be doing ergo it's compromised.

Compromised is not the same as hacked, at all.

They better do a rollback.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Employee fucked up.  If an employee spilled water on everything would you claim that a hack too?

Depends what kind of water he used imo :D

It really has got to suck to be that employee right now, he really did a number on Valve. Kinda scary how easily databases or w/e can be screwed over from the inside.

Looks like Phantom Squad took 'em.

It not ddnos attack though

Magical Pineapples

Also this might be some kind of record, 9 pages in 1.5 hours.

You never gave context, and the only clear one lead to you meaning that.  My bad?

Well I will admit saying 'Steam has been compromised' does kinda imply it was a hack.

Perhaps 'Steam is compromised' would be better ;)

I feel so bad for the person that did this, though.

Someone somewhere is going to be joining the unemployment line on January 1st, assuming it wasn't a hack that is.