Why is Chrome so Popular, is there something I'm missing out on?

ToniBamboni

I used Chrome for 3 years, and about a month ago I switched to Microsoft Edge and Vivaldi. And I can't see much difference. I honestly don't understand why Edge gets so much hate, I really like it a lot. I started using Edge when I built my new PC and I was too lazy to re-download Chrome and Vivaldi and I haven't thought about switching back since.

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

because Google told them to.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

It has support for lots of extensions

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Edge feels disgusting. Microsoft spyware and botnet.

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

Edge has terrible extension support and slow updates. Not to mention inferior performance. So the question is, why would I use it?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

because

google > firefox

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Chrome is highly customisable in terms of add-ons, themes and all that good stuff. Though I agree, I was trying out Edge for a bit and it's very swift, and they've added some really neat features in there too. I guess it's just personal preference, but i'd have to learn more on how Edge works then i'll probably stop using Chrome.

Student Life Build Yo: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i5-3350p, ASRock H61M-VG4, Sapphire Nitro R9 380x

12GB DDR3-1333, Corsair CX600, SanDisk 120GB SSD, Asus Xonar DGX, Corsair 200R, Headphones: Takstar HI 2050.

~First PC Build!~

Edge doesn't have extensions, which is a deal breaker to me (I use Windows 7 on my home PC, which Edge is not available on it.. But I use Windows 10 at my internship which I tried Edge on, but no extensions to switched to Chrome)

And Google has all my bookmarks, so it's just easy to use Chrome on everything (including mobile), instead of different browsers everywhere.

If I used anything else with that sort of functionality before Chrome I probably would have used that as my main browser, but I just have everything set up in Chrome after years of using it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Chrome is fast, looks nice and has nice addons. 

Edge is meh performance wise, looks ugly has has a huge lack of addons.

Personally Firefox all the way, it's more customizable and faster(Or at least I found). People hate edge because it's essentially re-branded Internet Explorer, which is by far the worst browser, but if you fell comfortable with Edge there's no need to switch to Chrome, the only thing that will change is which company you're sharing your data

Edge feels disgusting. Microsoft spyware and botnet.

Chrome is no different. Do you really believe that Google doesn't track you despite Google being one of the largest data mining companies in the world?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I used Chrome for 3 years, and about a month ago I switched to Microsoft Edge and Vivaldi. And I can't see much difference. I honestly don't understand why Edge gets so much hate, I really like it a lot. I started using Edge when I built my new PC and I was too lazy to re-download Chrome and Vivaldi and I haven't thought about switching back since.

Google is my preferred browser, it has all my favorites and saved passwords. No issues so I'll stick to it.

And I just prefer the simplicity of it.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Personally Firefox all the way, it's more customizable and faster(Or at least I found). People hate edge because it's essentially re-branded Internet Explorer, which is by far the worst browser, but if you fell comfortable with Edge there's no need to switch to Chrome, the only thing that will change is which company you're sharing your data

Edge is miles better than IE.  Heck, even the previous IE was great except for no addon support.  Edge and IE have by far the best GPU accelerated engine of all browsers.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I used edge but it has problems like if I was typeing on the forum and pressed backspace it would go back a page like I wasn't in a text field. If you drag a tab out to make a new window and then bring the tab back onto the original then it leaves the window you made open... Also with the option to save my last open pages it would fail me and not save them. Also edge would get really slow with 20 tabs open were chrome never has a problem. I gave edge a chance and it failed me...

Chrome is no different. Do you really believe that Google doesn't track you despite Google being one of the largest data mining companies in the world?

I was not saying that Chrome doesn't do it, I was saying Microsoft Edge is worse :P

Tokyo Sunshine:Corsair 750d case with custom lighting, Asus ROG Maximus VIII Z170, Intel i5-6600 processor, 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4 RAM, MSI r9 270x 4gb@ 1300mhz mem clock, Sandisk Ultra II SSD 256gb, 2x 1tb HDD

I used edge but it has problems like if I was typeing on the forum and pressed backspace it would go back a page like I wasn't in a text field. If you drag a tab out to make a new window and then bring the tab back onto the original then it leaves the window you made open... Also with the option to save my last open pages it would fail me and not save them. Also edge would get really slow with 20 tabs open were chrome never has a problem. I gave edge a chance and it failed me...

20 Tabs?!?!?!?

I start to feel like a hoarder when I have 4...

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1231 V3 3.4ghz CPU COOLER: Cryorig H7 w/ Red Corsair SP120mm  MOBO: MSI SLI Krait Edition Z170 MEMORY: G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4) Storage: Kingston V300 120gb, WD 1TB GPU: MSI R9 390X CASE: Phantom 410 (ew) PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 550w CASE FANS: 4 CORSAIR SP120mm MONITOR: LG 25UM67 KEYBOARD: Das4 Ultimate Cherry MX Blue MOUSE: Deathadder Chroma Left-Handed AUDIO: Sennheiser HD598 Black, Astro A40s

I was not saying that Chrome doesn't do it, I was saying Microsoft Edge is worse :P

I really don't think they are, everyone just likes to over react and blew the W10 tracking way out of the water.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Chrome has good functionality, and is reasonably fast at the cost of system performance. I know of games that use less of my laptops cpu, than chrome trying to play back 1080p60 video (drops like every other frame so it looks worse than 30 fps).

I quite like browsing on edge, especially on my laptop because it uses very little resources, and scrolling is very smooth, however it has a massive lack of functionality. A lot of the aspects of edge look like that have had no though behind them.

Bookmarks are one of my largest pet peevs about it. Firstly it imports them from chrome backwards, and rearranging bookmarks is pretty much impossible, since you end up putting the bookmark into a folder rather than the folder moving out of the way.

Also the 2nd layer of bookmarks opens in the fucking side of the page. What bright soul at Microsoft wanted to be different from the other browsers, by making it worse?

http://prntscr.com/9ggrzl

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Chrome has good functionality, and is reasonably fast at the cost of system performance. I know of games that use less of my laptops cpu, than chrome trying to play back 1080p60 video (drops like every other frame so it looks worse than 30 fps).

I quite like browsing on edge, especially on my laptop because it uses very little resources, and scrolling is very smooth, however it has a massive lack of functionality. A lot of the aspects of edge look like that have had no though behind them.

Bookmarks are one of my largest pet peevs about it. Firstly it imports them from chrome backwards, and rearranging bookmarks is pretty much impossible, since you end up putting the bookmark into a folder rather than the folder moving out of the way.

Also the 2nd layer of bookmarks opens in the fucking side of the page. What bright soul at Microsoft wanted to be different from the other browsers, by making it worse?

http://prntscr.com/9ggrzl

That is one of the reasons I use Chrome, since I have a ridiculous amount of bookmarks. Also, I cannot tell what your profile picture is :P

20 Tabs?!?!?!?

I start to feel like a hoarder when I have 4...

I gotta make use of 16gb of ram some how.. And even on my phone I average 20 tabs (25 right now) its not like I need to close them, but around 30 I do notice my phone hits a brick wall and won't load any of the tabs...(my phones a oneplus one)

Chrome is super fast, which is what most people (i.e., non-techies) care most about.  They don't want to sit around waiting for stuff to load, and Chrome is damn good about cutting down your wait time.  Even on my fairly old laptop, it's still snappy and fast.  But, Chrome does tend to eat up a lot of system resources to give you that speed, especially with a lot of tabs open.

That said, I agree that I don't entirely understand the hate for Edge.  I've used it a bit, and it seems perfectly fine as a browser.  My only major complaint from what little I've used it is that the color design is utter garbage--just glancing at the URL bar/tabs/etc, everything's the same color, so it's really hard to quickly see where everything is.  I think it gets a lot of crap because it's Microsoft's browser, and Internet Explorer has always been regarded more or less as "the browser you use to download a better browser".

As for Vivaldi, I think people just don't know about it.  I certainly don't know enough about it to say anything meaningful other than that.

Personally, I've been a FireFox user for a long time.  Partly it's just familiarity/habit at this point, but I also prefer the open-source/free nature of it on purely ideological grounds to more closed-source, proprietary browsers.  But that's not going to even be relevant for a lot of people, I admit.