Star Citizen crowdfunding passes $100m with 1m backers

rcarteraz

So I think we all saw this coming but Star Citizen has actually passed $100 million dollars in crowd funding with over 1 million backers.

Source #1: http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/14/star-citizen-crowdfunding-passes-100m-mark-with-over-1m-backers/

“We genuinely want people to be happy with their decision to back Star Citizen because I and everyone else on the team passionately believe in Star Citizen,” he continued.” This is the dream game that all of us have wanted to build all our lives. And while I can’t promise you everything will always go smoothly, or features or content won’t arrive later than we want them to, I can promise that we will never stop until we have achieved this dream.”

Even though it may be expected it's still a huge accomplishment! I'm sure I speak for everyone who can't wait for the final game to be released.

Source #2: http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/14/10104670/star-citizen-100-million-crowdfunding

Crowdfunding has its $100 million game. Star Citizen, the ambitious space game from Wing Commander creator Chris Roberts, hit the goal late last night. The news comes just a few days after developer Cloud Imperium Games released the 2.0 version of the Star Citizen alpha, which it describes as "the next major step in Star Citizen's evolution."

So I think we all saw this coming but Star Citizen has actually passed $100 million dollars in crowd funding with over 1 million backers.

Source #1: http://venturebeat.com/2015/12/14/star-citizen-crowdfunding-passes-100m-mark-with-over-1m-backers/

Even though it may be expected it's still a huge accomplishment! I'm sure I speak for everyone who can't wait for the final game to be released.

Source #2: http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/14/10104670/star-citizen-100-million-crowdfunding

Already been posted in the Star Citizen subforum :)

EDIT- http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/505166-star-citizen-hits-100000000/

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Yay. That probably means we can finally play it in like 10 years!

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

*looks at funding page* 

*looks at robbaz's gameplay* 

*cries* 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

So now the bandwagon is to bash on the length of development? Great...

Anyhow, yay for 100m!

Yes. The game is never coming out at this rate.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

So now the bandwagon is to bash on the length of development? Great...

Anyhow, yay for 100m!

Hardly a bandwagon: you might get a couple of skeptics like us on forums and that one troll guy declaring mismanagement with unconfirmed sources, for the most part the bandwagon is actually "just keep throwing money at this, yay" from what I can see.

-------

Current Rig

-------

The projected release date is end of 2016, which isn't that far from initial projections.

Keep in mind, 99% of AAA games get delayed from the original internal release date - often by years. We simply never hear about it, because they only start releasing info usually within a year or so of release.

The biggest problem with Star Citizen is that it's going exactly as per status quo - normal AAA development timeline wise, but they're ultra transparent about every step of the way. People don't normally see this kind of transparency, so the normal every day, boring development stuff makes it look like no progress is happening.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Hardly a bandwagon: you might get a couple of skeptics like us on forums and that one troll guy declaring mismanagement with unconfirmed sources, for the most part the bandwagon is actually "just keep throwing money at this, yay" from what I can see.

there's actually a massive bandwagon everywhere you go that continues to bitch about the "length" of development. what these ignorants don't know is that CIG had to build their ENTIRE development studio from the ground up starting in 2012 where as your favorite yearly installment of *insert generic semi-open world game possibly with towers to climb here* is that those are spread over 3 or more dev studios and backed by a publisher that pulls in 5x in a year what CIG has in 3. Fallout 4 and GTA V took 7 years to develop, no one complains, SC in it's 3rd year and you'd think CIG had murder someone's baby.

there's actually a massive bandwagon everywhere you go that continues to bitch about the "length" of development. what these ignorants don't know is that CIG had to build their ENTIRE development studio from the ground up starting in 2012 where as your favorite yearly installment of *insert generic semi-open world game possibly with towers to climb here* is that those are spread over 3 or more dev studios and backed by a publisher that pulls in 5x in a year what CIG has in 3. Fallout 4 and GTA V took 7 years to develop, no one complains, SC in it's 3rd year and you'd think CIG had murder someone's baby.

I get that reasoning, truly. However, in my opinion this is exactly why people shouldn't try AAA size development on crowd funding money: Smaller projects manage to have reasonable turn around times because they're well, small. It really doesn't takes much to create a 2D nostalgia bait RPG for example. But what CIG is doing is the equivalent of trying to built a massive office building by pandhandling on the streets. Just because you can doesn't means you should.

I think that projects like this should have a hard limit: once we reach the funding goal we'll appreciate the interest and support but wont accept additional funding to keep the project size and scope under control.

We'll see but this might be the first and last AAA crowd funded game.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It has only been a few years, most games with this kind of budget has longs dev times.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I like how they're making it a space sim with fighting, stations, explorations and all while also having fps part and planet on ground gameplay. That's awesome and I hope they make it great and vast cause I really want to play something like this, sci-fi in space and new :)
It also looks really great!

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I get that reasoning, truly. However, in my opinion this is exactly why people shouldn't try AAA size development on crowd funding money: Smaller projects manage to have reasonable turn around times because they're well, small. It really doesn't takes much to create a 2D nostalgia bait RPG for example. But what CIG is doing is the equivalent of trying to built a massive office building by pandhandling on the streets. Just because you can doesn't means you should.

I think that projects like this should have a hard limit: once we reach the funding goal we'll appreciate the interest and support but wont accept additional funding to keep the project size and scope under control.

We'll see but this might be the first and last AAA crowd funded game.

I don't quite see how more money makes it out of control? I've been following it forever and things seem to be in pretty good control.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I don't quite see how more money makes it out of control? I've been following it forever and things seem to be in pretty good control.

Ok by out of control I don't mean it just won't get made, I mean specifically how long the project will take. You can be very organized but if it takes you 10 years then you just organized yourself out of relevance regardless. Churning out AAA titles is trickier than you expect: It's not only about extremely talented coders that can work fast but also extremely talented project managers organizing such a large scope: excellent devs can reasonably work in small teams and such but a big project would either take them ages or it would require A LOT more people in the project and a high degree of organization while still keeping the development agile.

I don't have any doubts that they'll be able to deliver the product eventually but I just don't see this earlier than 2017 or even 2018.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ok by out of control I don't mean it just won't get made, I mean specifically how long the project will take. You can be very organized but if it takes you 10 years then you just organized yourself out of relevance regardless. Churning out AAA titles is trickier than you expect: It's not only about extremely talented coders that can work fast but also extremely talented project managers organizing such a large scope: excellent devs can reasonably work in small teams and such but a big project would either take them ages or it would require A LOT more people in the project and a high degree of organization while still keeping the development agile.

I don't have any doubts that they'll be able to deliver the product eventually but I just don't see this earlier than 2017 or even 2018.

Have you seen Alpha 2.0? Or played it? It'll be out 2017 more than likely.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

The projected release date is end of 2016, which isn't that far from initial projections.

Keep in mind, 99% of AAA games get delayed from the original internal release date - often by years. We simply never hear about it, because they only start releasing info usually within a year or so of release.

The biggest problem with Star Citizen is that it's going exactly as per status quo - normal AAA development timeline wise, but they're ultra transparent about every step of the way. People don't normally see this kind of transparency, so the normal every day, boring development stuff makes it look like no progress is happening.

I'm not a huge proponent of crowd funding, but I'm not seeing even a millionth of what they naysayers are accusing Chris and his studio of doing.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Hurray for $100mil!

Considering how (mostly) solid the recent Alpha 2.0 is I have great faith that they will do a good job with the final product. Now if they could just keep me from falling out of my ship while I walk around that would be great.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

True, but honestly..i dont se a problem with that? if the game takes a total of 5-6 years to make then ...ok? most AAA are just rehashed with the same assets and a mild bump anyways, thats why they pop out every 2 years.

If we look at a NEW IP and look how long that one took to be made, the claim is usually 3-4 years, and thats already with a working studio and people at there disposal.

Have you seen Alpha 2.0? Or played it? It'll be out 2017 more than likely.

Let´s not get optimistic lol :P

Eventually is good enough of an answer till official info comes imo

...so the average donation is 100$? wut

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

True, but honestly..i dont se a problem with that? if the game takes a total of 5-6 years to make then ...ok? most AAA are just rehashed with the same assets and a mild bump anyways, thats why they pop out every 2 years.

Let´s not get optimistic lol :P

Eventually is good enough of an answer imo

Late 2017 early 2018. Alpha 2.0 really puts everything they've done together. It has actual gameplay, you can travel across a solar system and do missions and everything. It has the fps elements and landing and repair and just everything all in one. It seems like everything from now on is just polishing and expanding the content.

I don't see the complaints for the length of development. It's easily one of the most ambitious games out there. 5-6 years to make a game doesn't seem bad at all. Hell, I've been making a game for the past 2 years and it doesn't have shit on pretty much any AAA game out there.

Well yes, thanks to us whales and our $1000+ purchases (so far) lol

The pledge level for the majority of backers has been and still is $40, which gets you both Squadron 42 and Star Citizen for $20 each, (plus a ship and starting credits) rather than the $60 they will be when they're done.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yes, and that's mostly made up of people that have bought the $35 game package. Then there are the smaller portion of people who have bought separate ships that bring up the average. I would think if you looked at the median spent it would be closer to the normal $60 game price.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Late 2017 early 2018. Alpha 2.0 really puts everything they've done together. It has actual gameplay, you can travel across a solar system and do missions and everything. It has the fps elements and landing and repair and just everything all in one. It seems like everything from now on is just polishing and expanding the content.

I don't see the complaints for the length of development. It's easily one of the most ambitious games out there. 5-6 years to make a game doesn't seem bad at all. Hell, I've been making a game for the past 2 years and it doesn't have shit on pretty much any AAA game out there.

Don't worry. The same people who say it's taking too long to make Star Citizen probably also whine and bitch about the poor PC versions of games we get from Ubisoft and so on.

Remember when GTA:5 got delayed? People complained, even though it turned out to be a good port despite some hiccups as was expected.

Deus:Ex? Haven't seen many people complain at all yet on the forum except one person (their name escapes me). Dunno why that is.