Star Citizen crowdfunding passes $100m with 1m backers

rcarteraz

I for one can understand just how much is needed to build a massive triple A title from scratch.

Really looking forward to star citizen.

Don't mind if it'll take them another 2 years, heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they took 3-4 more years!

Let's just hope by the time it comes out, people would still be interested in the title. There's a reason why most triple A titles are only revealed within a year of release. Builds hype and uses the peak hype for sale. Star citizen is perhaps the first game to be completely transparent about their progress from the very beginning. I'm afraid people would be burnt out by it at the time of release. Then again, no mmorpgish triple A title has ever done this, so let's see what happens!

i recall that it did exist and the reason they chose Cryengine was because of how  vehicle "usage" in the engine was mature

anyways it was a better choice for them to go with cry engine

UE4 was unveiled to limited audiences in February of 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_Engine#Unreal_Engine_4

Unreal Engine 4 was unveiled to limited attendees at the 2012 Game Developers Conference,

Star Citizen development was started in 2011, initially using CryEngine 3, which was updated to CE4:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Citizen#Development

The development of the game started in 2011 with building a demo on a modified version of the CryEngine 3 game engine, later updated to the 4th generation.

So the game was started a year before UE4 was even unveiled, let alone ready for developers to actually start using. I don't possibly see how they could have used UE4 without either:

1. Starting over from scratch, or

2. Delaying development for at least three years, since UE4 wasn't released to Developers until 2014:

On March 19, 2014, at the Game Developers Conference, Epic Games released Unreal Engine 4, and all of its tools, features and complete C++ source code, to the development community through a new subscription model.

So again, it was pretty much impossible for them to use UE4.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)