Intel Launching ‘Skull Canyon’ Platform In Q1 2016

AresKrieger

It looks like Intel is gearing up for quite an impressive reveal in 2016 (at CES?). In the first quarter of 2016, the blue-chip giant is going to be showing off an enthusiast platform dubbed ‘Skull Canyon’. It’s being tagged as the “most powerful NUC yet” and features the latest Skylake architecture combined with the elusive Gen9 GT4e graphics: namely the Iris Pro 580 with 128MB of stacked eDRAM. Not much details are known at this point but the following teasing image was found in Intel documentation (via FanlessTech):

Intel-Skull-Canyon-NUC-635x353.png

The Intel GT4e Iris Pro graphics are a Generation9 core that ship with select Skylake parts. The ‘e’ at the end refers to eDRAM which the Iris Pro 580 has around 128MB of. The eDRAM acts as a fast L4 cache and facilitates the 72 Execution Units (EUs) present on the die. The core clock of the chip was 1 Ghz according to Intel’s marketing material, but this could change in the closed thermal envelop of the NUC. The chip is rated at a resounding 1152 GFlops of Single Precision or 1.15 TFlops. To put this into perspective, this is slightly above the Maxwell 1.0 debut graphic card: the Geforce GTX 750.While this is nowhere near the amount of horsepower a high end dedicated graphic card can pull, this is roughly double of what AMD’s Godavari chip can output. The performance of the Iris Pro 580 in Skull Canyon however, should be just enough to run modern titles at playable frame rates (low to medium settings, 1080p).

http://wccftech.com/intel-skull-canyon-nuc-iris-pro-580-powerful-2016/

Like kabylake these cpus have an igpu focus with large gains in that department, though these are not standard desktop CPUs as they are used more so for small form factors and all in ones, but the fact that intel is pushing out better igpu lines mean amd will have their work cut out for them. I also wonder if these maybe used in mobile devices such as tablets, as this would be a boost fo those types of devices.

However I have to wonder why they didn't use the name 'skull lake' for their next desktop line, as that just sounds hardcore, while kaby sounds dumb

Edited by AresKrieger

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I thought they were releasing Kaby, so is this just a rename? Or is this something entirely different. At least is sounds better than Kaby for a name either way.

So wait, is it just a name for a series of nucs? Or is it the new architecture?

So wait, is it just a name for a series of nucs? Or is it the new architecture?

I'm not sure as I have no idea what kaby was suppose to be, after reviewing the article it seems to be new

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I'm not sure as I have no idea what kaby was suppose to be, after reviewing the article it seems to be new

KAby was always new. It's now the 2nd tock of Intel's new 3-part rhythm. Kaby brings minor tweaks to Skylake's CPU architecture, but it brings an entirely new graphics architecture platform.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

What is this?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Well shit. That's a long way from the 915GM in my old Asus A3H-though that can run Portal at minimum settings 1024x768 at a playable frame rate.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

KAby was always new. It's now the 2nd tock of Intel's new 3-part rhythm. Kaby brings minor tweaks to Skylake's CPU architecture, but it brings an entirely new graphics architecture platform.

I just wan't sure what it was, so it's just an update like haswell refresh but with a different focus, one thing to note this line also seems to focus on the graphic chip but for mobile gpus

So it's another hawell/Devils Canyon thing?

Ugh Ffs... Just make the damn Skylake-E Intel.

Skylake-E will be coming out a few short weeks later, but Kaby Lake will bring the next generation of graphics architecture, and Kaby shows up around week 50 of 2016 according to Intel's latest roadmaps.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

SFF FTW ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Skylake-E will be coming out a few short weeks later, but Kaby Lake will bring the next generation of graphics architecture, and Kaby shows up around week 50 of 2016 according to Intel's latest roadmaps.

At what point do you think Intel will swap to 6-core mainstream parts?

At what point do you think Intel will swap to 6-core mainstream parts?

Cannonlake if Zen is remotely competitive.

I hope one day iGPUs can destroy the r7 x60 or GFT x50 series of GPUs. 

Maybe buying an i5 with no GPU might be thing in the future.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

If its dubbed as "The most powerful NUC yet" then this will probably be very disappointing.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

You excited for the soon to be conclusion of the GT4e saga we started a while back? You predicted that Skylake GT4e would catch the GTX 950. I predicted that it would sit somewhere between the GTX 750 and GTX 750 Ti.

Either way. GTX 750 power in a NUC. We've truly come a long way. Makes me question whether or not my current SFF design will be worth it, when this thing will be packing amazing performance per cubic inch. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

So this is a wicked version of Broadwell? So it will be expensive and unavailable. Can't wait.

I'll put this into perspective as well, the iGPU is more powerful than the old mobile Ati HD5000 Radeon.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Does this mean this will get a revival

003.jpg

news_BoreasMTECST-01a_full.png

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Is this like the Haswell Refresh but for Skylake?

That's the most badass naming scheme I've ever seen...

What on God's green Earth is that.

Skulltrail motherboard

Coolit Daul TEC waterchiller AIO

i have the single CPU version but it has a dead pump

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.