Apple serving full-screen iPhone 6s pop-up ads to App Store users on old iPhones

AlTech

Nobody's taking this personally? You've got to be kidding me. Haters think they're in heaven right now especially the OP

Its stupid that people here dont understand that most smartphone users are not tech savvy like us and they have no clue about the latest gadgets in the market. Also add to the fact that Apple has so many old iPhone users its common sense to get them aware of the new vastly improved product you have. 

Other companies and manufacturers install shit ton of bloatware and i don't see any of you going all out crazy but when apple puts one pop up screen ad towns go blazin' . It's just a typical fanboy behaviour

Hey. I'll be the first to call out Apple and Microsoft. Alright? No big deal!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Really dude? Are you that Naive?

All an iPhone user has to do is click skip and go about their day while Windows user despite the repeatedly times you click skip update it still manages to download and install if you're not too careful. This practice is known as enforcing which is so much more dangerous than informing especially in mission critical scenarios where so many things can horribly go wrong 

my argument still stands, the windows 10 update is not a fullscreen popup, and can be ignored without doing anything. and if you are doing something "mission critical' you probably shouldn't be running windows x home edition, or you know, disable updates.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.6Ghz CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 GPU: GTX 1070 TI RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (4x4) Mobo: ASUS Z97-PRO(Wi-Fi ac) PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 no window

my argument still stands, the windows 10 update is not a fullscreen popup, and can be ignored without doing anything. and if you are doing something "mission critical' you probably shouldn't be running windows x home edition, or you know, disable updates.

EXACTLY! Thank you!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

On a side note, the iPhone 6S may be the first iPhone who doesn't outsell it's predecessor. This might explain why Apple wants to boost their sales doing this.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

Nobody's taking this personally? You've got to be kidding me. Haters think they're in heaven right now especially the OP

I don't think you know what "take things personally" means. Nobody is taking this personally, but it is still a shitty move.

Its stupid that people here dont understand that most smartphone users are not tech savvy like us and they have no clue about the latest gadgets in the market. Also add to the fact that Apple has so many old iPhone users its common sense to get them aware of the new vastly improved product you have.

Thanks for describing what an ad is. I guess that makes it perfectly acceptable to push out annoying ads to your customers because you know, how else will they know about your latest product they can buy? Totally justifies it... (not)

Next we will use that logic to rational popup ads. If Linus releases a new videos then there should be a popup appear every time you visit LinusTechTips.com. Because you know, not everyone is tech savvy and subscribed, but Linus still needs to make people aware of his videos.

Other companies and manufacturers install shit ton of bloatware and i don't see any of you going all out crazy but when apple puts one pop up screen ad towns go blazin' . It's just a typical fanboy behaviour

What planet do you live on? Android has been getting a massive amount of shit for all the bloatware that gets put on then. You must be lying, not have followed phones at all during the recent years or have extremely selective memory. It was the number 1 selling point for Nexus phones. Stock Android. Did you miss how much shit Samsung got when they tried to push ads in notifications? Here is the thread and here are some of the comments from it:

"Fuck you Samsung, fuck you."

"I'm so glad I didn't buy a Samsung phone."

"And here I was looking into buying a Samsung device. Guess I'll take my money elsewhere then."

"Lets be honest here, OEM versions of Android blow."

"Wow that's a dick move Samsung."

"Hate me all you want but I'm switching to iPhone next year. I just can't take Samsung anymore."

"i will NEVER  buy ANY phone that does this EVER"

"Welp was deciding between the S6 and the iPhone 6... Its decided."

and many many more.

Well given Microsoft spams the hell out of Windows 7 & 8 users to upgrade.....

As others have pointed out, this is by far one of the dumbest arguments ive ever read.

One is a free upgrade, other is a 700$ smartphone.  Tell me you can see the difference 

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

There is no planned obsolescence. Apple still updates devices from four years ago with new software. Better than Android forgetting year old phones exist. 

If that were the case then my 3GS would have gotten iOS 9 updates as well, along with these ads  :)

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

Amazon does this with Kindles. I'm surprised it took Apple this long. God damn you, Tim Cook!

Eien nante naito iikitte shimattar  /  Amarinimo sabishikute setsunai deshou
Dare mo ga hontou wa shinjitai kedo  /  Uragirarere ba fukaku kizu tsuite shimau mono

Please no Rick Rolling videos. It's not funny.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As long as it's only in the app store it's not such a big deal. It's not like you browse that shit all day every day you know. 

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

The so called full screen popup only gets annoying if it happens every now and then. Second I'm pretty sure many many people would prefer popup and dismiss rather than just automatically upgrading windows. And c'mon not that many companies especially the smaller ones use special edition of windows rather just a normal computer

Thanks for describing what an ad is. I guess that makes it perfectly acceptable to push out annoying ads to your customers because you know, how else will they know about your latest product they can buy? Totally justifies it... (not)

Next we will use that logic to rational popup ads. If Linus releases a new videos then there should be a popup appear every time you visit LinusTechTips.com. Because you know, not everyone is tech savvy and subscribed, but Linus still needs to make people aware of his videos.

Ads arent bad until they get annoying which in this case isnt. had this 6S ad popped up every now and then its a whole different story. What happened here was that people who knew well and good about 6S got served about an ad they already knew about which probably isnt common the case if you look at the user base

I don't believe this ad pops up everytime because I have a 4S and its has only come once

I looked into it a bit more and it seems like the video is 100% correct. If you get your home button replaced then attempting to update your iPhone will in fact brick it.

The only two solutions seem to be:

1) Put in the original home button, update your software and then put in the new home button again. Repeat this every time you get a software update.

2) Get a new phone.

And since Apple has such great customer service they will just tell you to fuck off if you have had your phone opened by anyone other than them.

when my imac button got jammed and i took it into the apple store they literally stuck a screwdriver in and wiggled it around then charged me 70 dollars. and it still doesn't work properly and i have to press really hard to turn it on like with all my strength

The so called full screen popup only gets annoying if it happens every now and then. Second I'm pretty sure many many people would prefer popup and dismiss rather than just automatically upgrading windows. And c'mon not that many companies especially the smaller ones use special edition of windows rather just a normal computer

Ads arent bad until they get annoying which in this case isnt. had this 6S ad popped up every now and then its a whole different story. What happened here was that people who knew well and good about 6S got served about an ad they already knew about which probably isnt common the case if you look at the user base

I don't believe this ad pops up everytime because I have a 4S and its has only come once

I don't think you have the authority to judge what is and isn't annoying. People were outraged that Samsung pushed out a single ad in a notification, and I think covering the entire screen is worse than that.

You might be able to put up with full screen ads but not everyone has that high bullshit tolerance.

I don't think you have the authority to judge what is and isn't annoying. People were outraged that Samsung pushed out a single ad in a notification, and I think covering the entire screen is worse than that.

You might be able to put up with full screen ads but not everyone has that high bullshit tolerance.

Something that occasionally pops up on place where it shouldn't is annoying. Something that pops up when visiting the app store (which are filled with ads according to your logic) like once is more annoying? Well you're just trying to somehow not see the clear difference here which can obviously be explained by you know what

Something that occasionally pops up on place where it shouldn't is annoying.

I agree, and I think full screen ads do not belong in the app store.

That's the thing though. Neither you nor I have some absolute authority to dictate what is an isn't out of place. It is up to the individual to decide what they think.

Something that pops up when visiting the app store (which are filled with ads according to your logic) like once is more annoying?

Can you please explain what "my logic" is? Are you trying to say that this full screen ad isn't an ad at all?

Yes I would say that a full screen ad when opening the app store is more annoying than a notification ad once. One blocks the entire screen and the other blocks a small part of it.

Well you're just trying to somehow not see the clear difference here which can obviously be explained by you know what

Can you please stop implying that everyone but you is a fanboy? The only one here that acts like a fanboy is you, because you keep saying nobody say anything bad about Android, and then pretending like you are the authority who dictates what is and isn't annoying to other people.

I do see a difference. I have absolutely no idea why you are attempting some terrible strawman argument by saying I think they are the same. In fact I even said it in the post that you are quoting that I do not think they are the same. I said "I think covering the entire screen is worse". Something is clearly not the same if I think one of them is worse than the other.

I am not upset by this because I hate Apple and try to find reasons to hate on them. I am upset by this because I think Apple's attempts at keeping iOS clean from ads is very admirable and leads to a better user experience. This move by Apple is a complete 180 on their previous stance though and as a direct result it is making the user experience worse for customers.

Do you not agree that ads makes the user experience worse than no ads, especially full screen ones that you manually have to close? That's a simple yes or no question by the way.

Don't defend companies when they make their product worse for their customers. It is mind blowing that I have to say that sentence as often as I do on this forum.

People in this forum use adblock so you can't expect them to like this can you ?

( which isn't a bad thing as this would probably make Apple not do this again )

On the other hand I would just click skull and move on instead of tweeting and making a fuss about an ad.

While it's annoying and doesn't fit, I have no authority so whatever.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Tell me when the fuck an Android equivalent of an iPod touch comes. Then I'll switch.

Because of an ad ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

No. I mean that's the only reason why I use the iPod touch, because there isn't an Android equivalent.

K.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I agree, and I think full screen ads do not belong in the app store.

That's the thing though. Neither you nor I have some absolute authority to dictate what is an isn't out of place. It is up to the individual to decide what they think.

Can you please explain what "my logic" is? Are you trying to say that this full screen ad isn't an ad at all?

Yes I would say that a full screen ad when opening the app store is more annoying than a notification ad once. One blocks the entire screen and the other blocks a small part of it.

Can you please stop implying that everyone but you is a fanboy? The only one here that acts like a fanboy is you, because you keep saying nobody say anything bad about Android, and then pretending like you are the authority who dictates what is and isn't annoying to other people.

I do see a difference. I have absolutely no idea why you are attempting some terrible strawman argument by saying I think they are the same. In fact I even said it in the post that you are quoting that I do not think they are the same. I said "I think covering the entire screen is worse". Something is clearly not the same if I think one of them is worse than the other.

I am not upset by this because I hate Apple and try to find reasons to hate on them. I am upset by this because I think Apple's attempts at keeping iOS clean from ads is very admirable and leads to a better user experience. This move by Apple is a complete 180 on their previous stance though and as a direct result it is making the user experience worse for customers.

Do you not agree that ads makes the user experience worse than no ads, especially full screen ones that you manually have to close? That's a simple yes or no question by the way.

Don't defend companies when they make their product worse for their customers. It is mind blowing that I have to say that sentence as often as I do on this forum.

You make this particular popup sound like everyday ad you see in websites when it isnt. What I think is people are overreacting here. If and if this was something that pops up every now and then for no reason then its annoying which it again isnt. You're right I dont have the authority to dictate what is annoying or not but objectively you and I know that this isnt the same kind of ad you claim it to be (ie annoying and obtrusive ad commonly associated with negativity shown here)

Notification panel ads invades your day to day work. Notification panel is the place you see your personal day to day happening and a random ad will piss anyone off even the non tech savvy not to mention that its third party and not the manufacturer's itself. App store is the place you go for shopping casually and one popup that appears once "Hey we have a much better phone now" is more annoying? 

If this was anywhere else like throughout the OS or even banners ads in the notification panel it would be as you said a 180 degree turn for apple. But they had to somehow spread the message and they did the best way possible where maximum people will see with minimum amount of annoyance 

I never said they were the same rather the occasional third party ads appearing throughout your phone is way way worse than a one time or two time popup of Apple's (not someone else's) new product

Again as I stated before as long as its not obtrusive its fine with most people. My whole original point is that people are getting paranoid about this little thing that no one else seems to care about

You make this particular popup sound like everyday ad you see in websites when it isnt. What I think is people are overreacting here. If and if this was something that pops up every now and then for no reason then its annoying which it again isnt. You're right I dont have the authority to dictate what is annoying or not but objectively you and I know that this isnt the same kind of ad you claim it to be (ie annoying and obtrusive ad commonly associated with negativity shown here)

How is a full screen ad not annoying and obtrusive? It is one of the most annoying types of ads.

Try reading comments on this article, or this one. That will show you what people (a lot of which are iPhone users) think of full screen ads. People absolutely hate full screen ads, regardless of which company is pushing it.

Apple has only done it once in their own apps so far, but if you and other people keep defending it and there is no backlash then they will most certainly do it again. Not saying anything is the same as saying you are totally okay with it. Telling others not to complain is like saying you actually like the chance. By not saying this is bad you are actively choosing to make Apple product worse for the customers.

Notification panel ads invades your day to day work. Notification panel is the place you see your personal day to day happening and a random ad will piss anyone off even the non tech savvy not to mention that its third party and not the manufacturer's itself. App store is the place you go for shopping casually and one popup that appears once "Hey we have a much better phone now" is more annoying? 

That's up to the individual to decide. The ads are annoying in different ways.

If this was anywhere else like throughout the OS or even banners ads in the notification panel it would be as you said a 180 degree turn for apple. But they had to somehow spread the message and they did the best way possible where maximum people will see with minimum amount of annoyance 

They did not have to "somehow spread the message". Nobody put a gun to Cook's head and forced him to show ads to their customers. How about sending out an email to users? That would be less annoying that blocking their entire screen for an ad. And look, Apple even has that implemented on their site. Don't quote me on this, but I am fairly sure you can select that when signing up for your iTunes account. So the only people do not constantly get updates about the latest Apple products released are the people who have already said no to such info.

I never said they were the same rather the occasional third party ads appearing throughout your phone is way way worse than a one time or two time popup of Apple's (not someone else's) new product

You said that I was trying to not see the clear difference and then implied that I did so because I am a fanboy. Saying that I am not seeing a difference is kind of like saying they are the same. By the way, did you not look at the link? The ads that showed up on the Samsung device was an ad for the Galaxy S6+ Edge, as well as for some TV show on Peel which is a stock app on the Galaxy S phones.

Samsung did not push out advertisements for some other companies product. They were pushing out ads for their own phone and for the apps that comes preinstalled on it.

Again as I stated before as long as its not obtrusive its fine with most people. My whole original point is that people are getting paranoid about this little thing that no one else seems to care about

And full screen ads aren't obtrusive? I noticed that you did not answer my simple yes/no question.

Do you not agree that ads makes the user experience worse than no ads, especially full screen ones that you manually have to close?

I love the logic at the end of your post by the way. It essentially means that if some people (maybe even the majority) don't care then nobody should care. You are saying that people are getting "paranoid" (I think you are misusing words again) and they should not do that because some other people don't even care. That logic is hilariously bad.

Okay so you mean to say that android users always face annoying problems that they just gave up on complaining. But the problem with your logic is that haters are going crazy here not apple users like me or numerous other members here. Don't tell you me you drew that conclusion from the two tweets and 5 other people complaining

No, we don't always have problems, when we do it can be any number of companies though. But I'm not saying to give up on giving feedback.

My logic has nothing to do with haters.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Boo hoo. It's marketing.

Don't take things so personally. -_-

There's good marketing, bad marketing and then there's apple marketing.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.