Will building a gaming PC ruin my future?

yjm2k

Hello, for few days I've been planning to build a gaming PC but at the same time I'm worried about my future as I am a student with an average mark of 'A's-'B's. I tend get bored if I don't play video games. Do you think it is a risky move for me to build a gaming PC at this important stage of my life?

You should be mature enough now to control how long you play video games.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

For me personally gaming has helped me figure out "me". It has helped me do a lot of stuff.

So will it ruin your life? That's up to you. If you get a gaming PC and spend 20 hours a day playing games, then yes it will. If you do all your work first and then have fun in a game for 1-2 hours a day, then no. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Well, for me it was like:

"Yay I've got money to buy a gaming pc"

~~Bought gaming pc~~

"Wow, now i have to work to pay for it"

~~Not enough time to play pc~~

After i bought my pc i started working more and more to pay it which led me to a promotion :o

TL:DR - It won't ruin you life, the only thing that can do that is you.

I gamed, held 2 Part time jobs, played sport and passed my IB Exams.

Time Management is what makes / breaks it.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

It can be risky. If you are thinking about building a PC and don't want to take the risk of gaming, you can build a work station PC. 

Turn back now. I used to be a billionaire with a harem of supermodel wives, but then I built a gaming pc and now I live in the dumpster behind LMG headquarters.

This is actually a true story, I see him there occasionally while I am washing Linus new Ferrari 458.  

Until he started throwing fecal matter at me we had great chats

well if you're asking that yourself already.. I thing you're good xD, in your freetime gaming wont ruin anything... just dont put games before your studies

You should be mature enough now to control how long you play video games.

I am not a hardcore gamer. Recently I stopped playing League of Legends because I got really bored of playing... I play games on mac book pro which is leading me to build a gaming pc :/

well if you're asking that yourself already.. I thing you're good xD, in your freetime gaming wont ruin anything... just dont put games before your studies

I rarely get addicted to play games for like 5-6 hours (only league of legends)

Better do it now before you have real responsibilities and can only dedicate a small amount of time to gaming.

I don't think I have the responsibilities to play games at a small amount of time... I've never experienced playing on other latest games like GTA 5, fallout4, all CoD games etc. I only sticked to one game called League of Legends which I recently stopped playing...

Woww man, you have a busy body!

Work Hard. Play Hard

Magical Pineapples

So essentially you are asking if building PC makes you game addict? Answer is no, building PC won't make you game addict. Buying game that you really like will do that.

If you like gaming, you can as well get prebuilt. In the end doesn't make difference in terms on how much you will spend time gaming.

Building PC will open more doors than just gaming. You can get more into digital culture and become "nerd". Maybe you get into modding or water cooling. That makes you better in hardcrafts and helps with artistic things. Maybe you are interested in music, drawing or 3D modelling/animation. These can be done with Macbook. But when you can render faster... makes it lot more fun to do and try things out. Maybe building a PC gets you interested in DYI electronics like Rasperry Pi. Or software engineering.

In the end it is YOUR motivation to study and self control which will determinate if getting proper gaming grade PC will be bad or not. For me it didn't have any effect. I was B+ student in elementary and high school and have continued mostly on same path. Even after being into competitive gaming for most of my later education years. I even selected to have 3 month break from nearly all gaming when I studied for final exams and university entry exams. I will admit that sometimes opening game is easier than getting into what I'm supposed to study. Or atm reading and replying on these forums. When I should be reading research articles. Another problem is adrenaline rush and stress that playing some games brings. Mix that with angry teenage attitude and you understand why online gamers are seen as bunch of jerks.

Will end this to what I've gained from my PC and gaming hobby. New friends over internet. Seen them IRL also. Better typing skills, better english, better hand-eye coordination. Problem solving skills and calmness in bad situations. Like my recent mobo breakdown. Fast learning of new software and general knowledge about 3D modelling and using databases. Thats actually important for my field of study.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

You should focus on other things like school and play Games when you have extra time.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

So essentially you are asking if building PC makes you game addict? Answer is no, building PC won't make you game addict. Buying game that you really like will do that.

If you like gaming, you can as well get prebuilt. In the end doesn't make difference in terms on how much you will spend time gaming.

Building PC will open more doors than just gaming. You can get more into digital culture and become "nerd". Maybe you get into modding or water cooling. That makes you better in hardcrafts and helps with artistic things. Maybe you are interested in music, drawing or 3D modelling/animation. These can be done with Macbook. But when you can render faster... makes it lot more fun to do and try things out. Maybe building a PC gets you interested in DYI electronics like Rasperry Pi. Or software engineering.

In the end it is YOUR motivation to study and self control which will determinate if getting proper gaming grade PC will be bad or not. For me it didn't have any effect. I was B+ student in elementary and high school and have continued mostly on same path. Even after being into competitive gaming for most of my later education years. I even selected to have 3 month break from nearly all gaming when I studied for final exams and university entry exams. I will admit that sometimes opening game is easier than getting into what I'm supposed to study. Or atm reading and replying on these forums. When I should be reading research articles. Another problem is adrenaline rush and stress that playing some games brings. Mix that with angry teenage attitude and you understand why online gamers are seen as bunch of jerks.

Will end this to what I've gained from my PC and gaming hobby. New friends over internet. Seen them IRL also. Better typing skills, better english, better hand-eye coordination. Problem solving skills and calmness in bad situations. Like my recent mobo breakdown. Fast learning of new software and general knowledge about 3D modelling and using databases. Thats actually important for my field of study.

In the future, I do wanna have an ambition based on IT however I'm worried that I won't be able to control myself once I buy the games which I've wanted to play for ages... All I do at home all day is scrolling through boring newsfeed on Facebook and 9gag for extra fun. I only study when there is an upcoming exam. I am quite unsocial with friends at school because I moved to Thailand recently which led me to stress. I just don't know whether building a gaming PC is the right option for my future :(

You should focus on other things like school and play Games when you have extra time.

Do you think making daily routine planner might help?

Of course, I built mine in February and I died in March.

The zombies have risen ?

I need to move to Georgia and change my name to Rick 

Do what you like, however at your age maintaining responsibilities should be your main priority.

Just make sure you get work done by the deadline, no matter how you do it

Well, for me it was like:

"Yay I've got money to buy a gaming pc"

~~Bought gaming pc~~

"Wow, now i have to work to pay for it"

~~Not enough time to play pc~~

After i bought my pc i started working more and more to pay it which led me to a promotion :o

TL:DR - It won't ruin you life, the only thing that can do that is you.

Agree to both. Time Management is def key but at the same time after spending +$1000 I was like "whelp, now I need to work to pay this off >_>"

Conditioning is also amazingly helpful (psychology stuffs, google it). I sometimes reward myself with gaming after completing choirs (paying bills, cleaning, balancing checkbook, etc.). Since you called yourself an addict maybe you should work on punishments for over playing rather than rewards :3

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

Hello, for few days I've been planning to build a gaming PC but at the same time I'm worried about my future as I am a student with an average mark of 'A's-'B's. I tend get bored if I don't play video games. Do you think it is a risky move for me to build a gaming PC at this important stage of my life?

it will DESTROY YOUR LIFE

given, youre already on this forum so your life is dead anyways

it will DESTROY YOUR LIFE

given, youre already on this forum so your life is dead anyways

I'm lifeless anyways xD

For me personally gaming has helped me figure out "me". It has helped me do a lot of stuff.

So will it ruin your life? That's up to you. If you get a gaming PC and spend 20 hours a day playing games, then yes it will. If you do all your work first and then have fun in a game for 1-2 hours a day, then no. 

The thing is, my parents hate me playing video games because it will ruin my life...

The thing is, my parents hate me playing video games because it will ruin my life...

Me and my parents never talk about my PC. Because their view on it is a 180° turn of mine. We used to fight over it for hours and days, lot's of bad things were said. So you gotta try to make it clear to them that it's important to you for (insert reason, one that isn't a stupid one) and then agree to never talk about it again. That's how I did it

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Me and my parents never talk about my PC. Because their view on it is a 180° turn of mine. We used to fight over it for hours and days, lot's of bad things were said. So you gotta try to make it clear to them that it's important to you for (insert reason, one that isn't a stupid one) and then agree to never talk about it again. That's how I did it

I have Asian parents.... you have German parents.... *sigh