Will building a gaming PC ruin my future?

yjm2k

I think you should build it and make an effort to improve on self control. If you can't, you're facing other psychological issues that you're avoiding by playing videogames and you should seek counseling. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

You should be mature enough now to control how long you play video games.

Yes, but from experience mature, like a cheese, is not a measure of quality. 

Know some 12 year olds wiser than me, know some 50 year olds think they are still in a school playground the level of intelegence they employ when talking or doing anything for that matter.

HOWEVER.

The fact they asked, means they are aware of it.

OH,, and kid.

I work from home, my workstation doubles up as a games PC (to be fair, both Adobe suites and games use similar hardware). The answer to keeping things in line?

Set clear boundaries for yourself.

Are you good at working to time? so if you say 3>5pm I will do XXX job and 5>7 I will play XXX?

Or, are you the kind where you have to be in a certain mindset to do certain tasks? (which is me), in which case it tends to be flippant, but I find an hours worth of gaming, where I am unable to concentrate otherwise tends to perk me up and go straight into working afterwards often flying through the jobs list. Some might see that as strange and counter intuitive but for god only knows what reason, it works for me.

Though I might also add I tend to set myself a time scale, if I cannot concentrate on A, move to B (game) then I can only allow say an hour or 2 most then I have to stop.

Its not my fault I am grumpy, you try having a porcelain todger that's always hard! 

The thing is, my parents hate me playing video games because it will ruin my life...

I have Asian parents.... you have German parents.... *sigh

I feel for you. Same boat.

I have Asian parents.... you have German parents.... *sigh

Belgian* :D It all comes down to how you handle it. My parents don't agree with most things I do in my life (not bad things, I'm not a drug addict :P ) but it's my life, I have a goal, a big picture for myself. And they have to respect that and how I get to it. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Belgian* :D It all comes down to how you handle it. My parents don't agree with most things I do in my life (not bad things, I'm not a drug addict :P ) but it's my life, I have a goal, a big picture for myself. And they have to respect that and how I get to it. 

Also, I have one older brother who just fell in love with League of Legends. Although he can't even self control, he doesn't get bad marks when it comes to huge exams (O'Levels). However my parents keeps on complaining him for playing games late at night. I just don't wanna end up like him, I wanna have a great success in my future.

Also, I have one older brother who just fell in love with League of Legends. Although he can't even self control, he doesn't get bad marks when it comes to huge exams (O'Levels). However my parents keeps on complaining him for playing games late at night. I just don't wanna end up like him, I wanna have a great success in my future.

Yea those kind of games do that to you... I don't play league anymore haha.

About the late at night gaming, I think you should compromise here. For example, I always log off at 9:30PM my time. I go to the living room and sit with my parents to watch TV. That way they can never say I don't spend time with them. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

The fact that you're worried shows you have good sense. You should be fine, just set up some kind of guilt reminder to go off whenever you end up playing seemingly too long. (Breaking 2 hrs and a half IMO.)

Yea those kind of games do that to you... I don't play league anymore haha.

About the late at night gaming, I think you should compromise here. For example, I always log off at 9:30PM my time. I go to the living room and sit with my parents to watch TV. That way they can never say I don't spend time with them. 

The fact that you're worried shows you have good sense. You should be fine, just set up some kind of guilt reminder to go off whenever you end up playing seemingly too long. (Breaking 2 hrs and a half IMO.)

My parents hate me playing video games every single day even though I've finished all my work which is due the next day. And playing 2-3 times of game per week satisfies her but not me. 

Yes, but from experience mature, like a cheese, is not a measure of quality. 

Know some 12 year olds wiser than me, know some 50 year olds think they are still in a school playground the level of intelegence they employ when talking or doing anything for that matter.

HOWEVER.

The fact they asked, means they are aware of it.

OH,, and kid.

I work from home, my workstation doubles up as a games PC (to be fair, both Adobe suites and games use similar hardware). The answer to keeping things in line?

Set clear boundaries for yourself.

Are you good at working to time? so if you say 3>5pm I will do XXX job and 5>7 I will play XXX?

Or, are you the kind where you have to be in a certain mindset to do certain tasks? (which is me), in which case it tends to be flippant, but I find an hours worth of gaming, where I am unable to concentrate otherwise tends to perk me up and go straight into working afterwards often flying through the jobs list. Some might see that as strange and counter intuitive but for god only knows what reason, it works for me.

Though I might also add I tend to set myself a time scale, if I cannot concentrate on A, move to B (game) then I can only allow say an hour or 2 most then I have to stop.

That's a interesting take on the matter.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

My parents hate me playing video games every single day even though I've finished all my work which is due the next day. And playing 2-3 times of game per week satisfies her but not me. 

You've finished all your work, your grades are good. They have no reason to not let you play games. (Knowing that you don't spend every hour available on  it and still talk/spend times with ur family)

Work out a compromise. Something like 45min-1 hour on school nights AFTER, all homework has been finished, and all projects have been worked on. Then on weekends, like an hour 1 1/2 after HW and projects.

Do you think making daily routine planner might help?

Just play on PC when all important things are finished. If you fail in school now, it will change your Life in a very bad way. As long you dont win the lottery, you need a good Job. And to get a good Job, you have to be successfull in School. But there is always time to play a Game here and there. But you are 15. Very soon the time will come, Girls will interest you more than any Videogame ;)

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

You've finished all your work, your grades are good. They have no reason to not let you play games. (Knowing that you don't spend every hour available on  it and still talk/spend times with ur family)

They only allow on certain days.

They only allow on certain days.

Yea I guess you gotta talk to your parents and see if you can come to an agreement. Can't really help more

Just play on PC when all important things are finished. If you fail in school now, it will change your Life in a very bad way. As long you dont win the lottery, you need a good Job. And to get a good Job, you have to be successfull in School. But there is always time to play a Game here and there. But you are 15. Very soon the time will come, Girls will interest you more than any Videogame ;)

Having relationships at my age will ruin my exams! xD

Yea I guess you gotta talk to your parents and see if you can come to an agreement. Can't really help more

Thank you very much for the help! I will talk to my parents and tell the result later. 

Agree to both. Time Management is def key but at the same time after spending +$1000 I was like "whelp, now I need to work to pay this off >_>"

Conditioning is also amazingly helpful (psychology stuffs, google it). I sometimes reward myself with gaming after completing choirs (paying bills, cleaning, balancing checkbook, etc.). Since you called yourself an addict maybe you should work on punishments for over playing rather than rewards :3

I've done it to loose weight and get a healthier lifestyle

Eating correctly through the day: 45 min

Going to the gym: 30 min

Taking the stairs: 15 min

Cleaning: 30 min

cooking a healthy meal: 30 min

By the end of the first month, i've lost 15 kilos ( 33 pounds ) and beat the first two quests of skyrim (lol)

Learn to control yourself. Do the 30 day no fap challange and you will know if you should build it.

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D