Tech Gifts for Non-techies Giveaway!

Gift: A chromecast for my mom.....cause she still watches normal cable tv and whenever she wants to watch youtube or just surf, she has to turn on the laptop and do it....but all that stuff can be done on the tv with just a chromecast...

and also i have a very good Wifi at home, and seems like it's not getting used much...

Cant find a link for chromecast 2015 on amazon :P

PS: linked my speedtest..

post-156570-0-19746600-1449300474_thumb.

Sailor/Mariner/Navigator of high seas

Contact Me Below:

Email: milindpatel63@gmail.com

Facebook: fb.com/milindp63

Twitter: twitter.com/milind__patel

Google+: milindpatel63

Instagram: instagram.com/milind__patel

Wow, great idea guys!!! Ok, my gift would be for my mom, she has a daughter in Argentina and a lot of grandchildren which she doesn't get to see very often, I would get her, a cloud base digital photo frame, a big one, so she can see the photos even without the eyeglasses, and been a cloud based frame, I could add photos, so she would always have something new to see.

http://www.amazon.com/Nixplay-Original-Facebook-Instagram-W18A/dp/B00JEX926C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449306461&sr=8-1&keywords=nixplay+18.5

I would get:

- Sennheiser RS175: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS-175-Wireless-Headphone/dp/B00SLUI5SA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449306316&sr=8-1&keywords=sennheiser+rs175

- for my girlfriend

- because she always wants to listen to music and would be great for her to be able to walk around the house with these wireless headphones. She only has her old earplugs from Ipod nano 3rd gen!

Would be an awesome gift, that's for sure.

My Parents are constantly asking me to download TV shows that they miss, they still have a VHS player which they use to record some TV shows but they always ask me to set it up for them.

I purchased myself a TV digital recorder and would love to get the same for my parents.

Being in the UK our systems are different so I only have a UK Amazon link, based on current exchange rates 1.50 USD to 1 GBP i looked at around the £200 mark.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDR-1000S-Freesat-Recorder-requires-Satellite/dp/B009P2H3NQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449306255&sr=1-10&keywords=freesat

This system has a really simple UI, you press the record button on the remote on any upcoming TV show and it will be recorded, the parents will also be able to record one show whilst watching another. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and a great give-away.

-Chalkie

I would get my mom an ASUS Transformer Book T100 so she can experience what using a 2in1 tablet feels like. Also I would spend more time with her teaching her how to use it which is awesome to spend time with my mom. She can also watch movies and stuff with it as well which is a benefit! Happy Holidays!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NC06JRS/ref=psdc_565108_t3_B00NC06K3G 

Easy. Kindle Paperwhite for each of my parents. My mom's got a much older Kindle that they got free with like a washing machine or something and she takes it absolutely everywhere. Her only complaint is that she can't read it in bed because the lamp on her nightstand keeps my father awake. A paperwhite would fit the bill absoluetly perfect. Then one for him because he's never been into reading but just recently started buying books by some author he's crazy about but complains that he doesn't have a bookshelf. Check and check!

Not sure if you can do two things, but it's the same address and still comes in under budget. The only thing I could think of for them to share would be a better audio setup for their TV, but I don't know jack about home theater audio, so that would require a lot of research before I could produce a link.

Here's a link to the Paperwhite, not that it's hard to find: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQVZDJM/ref=nav_shopall_k_ods_eink_mt

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-Tablet-8-9-Inch-Black/dp/B00M6UC5B4/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449315926&sr=1-2&keywords=nexus+9 (At the time of posting this, it's below $300)

I'd buy a Nexus 9 for my grandma, as my little bro broke her nexus 7 (2012) which I taught her how to use. 
Now she has to use her tiny android phone for the news and such.

Case:NZXT H440   CPU:3570k @ 4.4ghz   Cooler:Prolimatech Megahalems w/ ap121 p/p  GPU:Gigabyte Windforce GTX 770  RAM:Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16gb 1600mhz  Mobo:Sabertooth Z77     PSU:Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700w   Wheel: Logitech G27 + joystick as handbrake Asus DGX 5.1        Mouse: Corsair M65     Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger Cherry MX black  Headphones: ATH-M50s    Phone: Nexus 5 32GB  Earphones: Sennheiser CX 400ii    SSD: 120gb 840 evo  HDD: WD Enterprise 2TB    AMP&DAC: Schiit Stack. 

Handy-Tech under $100. The Roku

http://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streaming-Player-4230R-Search/dp/B00UJ3IULO/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449319619&sr=1-2&keywords=roku+4

This was for my parents a few years ago, allows them easy access to hulu, netflix, pandora, and other commonly used apps through their TV. Just connect it to wifi and it's good to go. It is very easy to navigate and very straight forward. And there's only one remote, so no confusion there ;)

A Wifi hotspot to finally get my mom WIFI coverage, because she doesn't have a Data plan. all around the house, and some Chromcasts Audio since streaming is way more convienient than those nasty wires.

Since I would need your help with buying the right WIFI Hotspot I don't have an Amazon Link, and for those Chromcasts we all know that Amazon is kinda childish about them

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

A new phone for my GF to replace her aging Huawei Y300 (which doesn't let her install app updates). I hope a Moto G 3rd gen (2015) 16GB bought from amazon.com will work in Italy.

link---> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZQVSKS2/ref=twister_B0127MKEAE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 ( black, 16GB )

Tried to find a decent laptop (since she has a 2007-ish HP with one of those old AMD single cores... brrr) but with no success.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

alrighty then, I guess I'll be a starting off with whom my gift is a going to....
My Mum

My mom is a runner, and she likes to listen to her music while she is a running. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut, her headphone jack in her phone decided to take a hike. And whenever it does work, it plays her nice jams for about 30 seconds or so, and then.....

THE LOUDEST STATIC YOULL EVER HEAR, just FLIES IN! And, it has enough excruciating noise to make your ears bleed. Its that loud.

So, the gift I'd give to her, would be the Jaybird X2's. I saw linus review them, and they're everything she has wanted. They are nice, make a good sound, bluetooth, and will be nice while she is running. And the fact that they'll only have to charge bout once a week, and she can make calls with them cuz of the mic, itll be grand.

Also, her speaker that you use to make calls, the earpiece. yeeeeeah, thats along side the jack on the hike too...

And, well, she just has been wanting a nice pair of earbuds for quite some time now. And I've seen a trusted youtuber, aka linus review them. They arent utter bs, and they work nicely. 

so thats my request, they are in the price range, and they are good. Thats it

tootles

Hmm... I'm study aboard so I dont see my parents all that often, so when I go home I often bring along whatever tech-ky thing I have to show them. This year it was the google cardboard, with a bit modification to make it abit more useable without holding it all the time, and it's definitely a blast seeing them trying the roller coaster VR and the map/museum one. So I gave them the cardboard and buy another one for myself later. As far as "tech gift for non-tech" things go, I think something like that is pretty easy to try on and be amaze at relatively cheap price.

This is just my idea for what kind of gift would be nice, I dont plan to join the contest for the 300$ gift :P so dont mind me Linus.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

I would get my mom a Dell U2414H monitor because she still has a 19" 768p monitor. She also does a lot of photo editing which means she would benefit greatly from the IPS panel, Thankyou!

New Nintendo 3DS XL 

http://www.amazon.com/New-Nintendo-3DS-XL-Black/dp/B00S1LRX3W/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1449335864&sr=1-1&keywords=new+nintendo+3ds+xl

For a really good friend of mine, she really wants one and doesn't have much money at all, as well as the fact that she has helped me through so much this year even though she didn't have to.

I would love to give my dad a GoPro HERO4 Session. He will be retire by the end of this year and go on vacation with my mother after that. I hope he can enjoy his vacation with the GoPro. 

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-CHDHS-101-HERO4-Session/dp/B010H05JMQ/ref=sr_1_21?srs=2529502011&ie=UTF8&qid=1449337582&sr=8-21

Oh ya.. hope he doesn't messed up with it like this guy haha.

Thank You.

I would like to get my grandma a Google OnHub Router. It's a nice little blue router she could fit in her living room. One big facter, it does not have random blinking lights! This would probably maker her all confused.  :blink:

She has been living in her house for more then 40 years and still don't have Internet, only phone and tv. She now has cancer for the 3rd time... :( I want to give her something this year, since she gived soo much to me. I am 18 and just got a job, and I am ready to pay for her Internet access and I already got her a modem from Motorola. I own her a lot, it's the least i can do as a techie. It's mostly to be able to show her pictures from Google Drive. My uncle (her son) is a great photograph! :) But he leave far away... I want to be able to got to her house and be able to show her without making her come over to my house.

OnHub Wireless Router from Google and TP LINK

http://www.amazon.com/OnHub-Wireless-Router-Google-TP-LINK/dp/B013ALA9LA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449338709&sr=8-1&keywords=google+onhub

Thanks LinusTechTips :)

Good luck!  :)

I would get my girlfriend an iPad to replace her laptop. Her dad is one of those reluctant to upgrade because he thinks the old stuff is better kind of guys so she has been stuck with this crappy old laptop which she never uses for ages.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MGNR2LL-VERSION-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00TYTLYXA/ref=sr_1_16?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449341636&sr=1-16&keywords=ipad&refinements=p_36%3A-30000

Thanks Linus.

I don't normally do sweepstakes, but I think i might actually have a chance this time. The reason I say this is because my Mom really needs a tv upgrade. She is using an ancient Sony CRT tv that just does not cut it anymore. I am 16, and that tv is about 9 months OLDER than I am. Its not even from this century! My mom wants to upgrade, but doesn't want to pay a lot. She doesn't need anything amazing, but I think it's time she stopped watching American Idol in 360p. I thought this was a pretty good deal for a nice tv:

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-43LF5400-43-Inch-1080p/dp/B00ZVCZYTO/ref=sr_1_2?s=tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1449342564&sr=1-2&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A7688789011%2Cp_36%3A-30000%2Cp_89%3ASamsung%7CLG%7CSony%2Cp_72%3A1248879011%2Cp_n_size_browse-bin%3A3578041011

Thanks, Lucas

I would like to give this to my mom for Christmas.  http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-2-5-Inch-Height-SDSSDHII-960G-G25/dp/B00M8ABHVQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449174839&sr=1-1&keywords=SanDisk+Ultra+II+2.5%22+960GB+SATA+III+Internal+Solid+State+Drive+%28SSD%29+SDSSDHII-960G-G25

she is complaining that her laptop is getting really slow and it is. It is from about 5 years ago and we can't get her a new one. So this should speed up her laptop a lot. Good luck and happy holidays to those that have entered. 

LOOK AT MY NEW FLAG DESIGNS FOR PA AND VOTE ON YOUR FAVORITE

LOOK AT MY FIRST BATCH OF DESIGNS HERE

4690K @ 4.5GHz

GTX 970 FTW

MSI Z97 PC MATE

Define R5 windowed

Cooler Master Seidon 240m

EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G1

Kingston 120gb SSD

SanDisk 480Gb SSD

Seagate 1Tb Hard drive

0215.gif

Merry Christmas LTT and forums! :D

I would get an ASUS ZenPad tablet for my mother! She doesn't know much about computers, nor uses them a lot, however she has basically taken over my dad's tablet just to check her email and Facebook, which is unfair to him since he bought his tablet as a replacement for his old shitty dell dimension PC haha.

Game Dev | Pro Gamer

Hi Linus,

I will be moving out of my parents’ house in the new year, this unfortunately means my parents will lose access to my ever growing Plex Library and my HTPC.

My Plan once moved out is to turn the HTPC into a Plex Media server, but hadn't quite thought about how my parents would access the content.

I would love to win 2 Fire TV 4k Boxes, that way they will be able to stream from my Plex server right to the living room and the bedroom. I will then be able to purchase them an amazon instant video subscription to go with it.

And then hopefully amazon will release some Alexa functionality in the UK!

They get to keep accessing my Plex library with ease and I gains a fully-fledged Plex Media server from it :)​ 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-New-Amazon-Fire-TV-Ultra/dp/B00UH2O6T2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449358580&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+tv

Price comes to about $260

Side Note: There seems to be some issues with inserting links/copying and pasting in the forum using Microsoft Edge on the latest windows 10 build.

I want to get an ASUS ZenFone 2 64 GB for my Dad cause he's currently using an ancient flip phone :(

Link:

http://www.amazon.com/ZenFone-Unlocked-Smartphone-Silver-Warranty/dp/B00VWKKF52/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&dpID=41tTlJZCiGL&dpPl=1&keywords=asus%20zenfone%202π=SY200_QL40&qid=1449133621&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

Thanks for all of these giveaways! Even if I don't win, I still appreciate them!

GO LEAFS GO!

AMD FX-6300 - EVGA GeForce GTX 750 FTW ACX 1 GB