Tech Gifts for Non-techies Giveaway!

To my father in law,

Who has provided so much to me and my wife when between jobs and states, I would want to get him this Netgear NAS with a pair of 1TB WD Reds.  It may not seem like much, but this would free up space on his main drive where he saves everything and can back up all his countless CDs and home videos.

I would get my Grandma a Western Digital My Book 4TB. I want her to have one so that she can back up all 3 of her laptops to one place and not have to switch between her older and newer ones to get certain files.

http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Personal-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00ITI05CS/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449538850&sr=1-5&refinements=p_36%3A-30000

Hey Guys at LMG,

Thanks for everything you guys do!

For the holidays I am looking to get the ASUS X551MA for my intelligent, but not so tech savvy, father.  The reasoning behind getting my father the ASUS X551ma is that he is still rocking a Dell Latitude D830 that features an Intel Core 2 Duo processor slowly chugging along with 2GB of DDR2 RAM and Windows XP of from yester year. My solution a year ago was to fix his situation with an over powered gaming laptop which killed his dream of innovating and progressing his mobile business.

My father, almost past his tech heyday, is still dedicated to working not just for a living, but for passion. My father has been working with his hands for over 45 years of his life.  He’s a painter by trade, just as his father was before him.  At a young age my father had to deal with working with what he had available to him which was not much.  As a youth his family lived in a trailer in a small town in the Midwest of the US, and did not have much to come by.   Up to this day this man is still tighter than a drum skin when it comes to the red and black pens he uses to manage his personal and business budgets. 

His current laptop, which was purchased as a gift, was given to him at Christmas in 2007.  Unlike my mother, whole other ball game, he rarely complains about issues using his laptop.  He not only uses it for his painting jobs (on-site estimates/work orders/accounting), but for personal web surfing/movie streaming.   So when he mentioned he was having issues with it last year I felt incredibly irresponsible as a tech savvy son to not look out for my father’s tech situation.  I then did the only thing a techie with a gaming habit was to do, I lent him my ASUS G73SW that I had no longer used due to a gfx card issue.  It was still functional and only had issues when trying to play games.  It was like giving new Corvette keys to someone who owned a 97 Pontiac Sunfire.  I know this feeling because I owned an aforementioned 97 Pontiac Sunfire (Had 165k miles ran like a top, Luke is correct about Pontiacs ;)), and killed it by running into something stopped.  I have also worked at a Chevrolet dealership, and the Corvettes are a little intimidating the first time you drive one.

I did not want to lose my data on the G73 so I set him up a separate profile.  I got a DC to AC power converter for his truck that was rated for the laptop to run since the battery was also failing.  I paired everything with a wifi/bluetooth printer and instructed him how to connect and use everything.  Now looking back at the time, he had the deer in headlights look.  I think the combination of the laptop size and lack of “less-techie ergonomics” may have intimidated him and/or was not what he had expected.   

I recently went home to visit for the Thanksgiving holiday and borrowed my father’s truck.  I found that the laptop was packed away with the printer under some clean drop cloths.  I asked him how it was working out and he said he was having trouble with getting things to work and went back to the old carbonless paper method early in the year.  Apologies for the language, but my stomach sank and I felt like utter shit.  I felt like I failed my father and his vision/dream for modernizing his business practices.  At that point I knew I was going to try and set him up with something that works with him and his business, rather than against.  This is where the LMG challenge intrigued me and thought I’d throw my hat into the ring and see what happens.  I cannot afford a newer gen Intel i-series laptop so I was hoping to find something functional for what he needs.  After shopping around, and missing out on Black Friday deals, I found the ASUS X551MA, linked below.  I plan to pair it with the TechNet 2.4G Nano wireless mouse, also linked below, to ease his working experience since it is only $10.

My apologies for the lengthy post, and I hope this is what you are looking for.  Thank you for your time and consideration.

Gift Link(s):

http://www.amazon.com/X551MA-Laptop-Intel-Celeron-500GB/dp/B00SV72ZA2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

http://www.amazon.com/TeckNet-2-4G-Wireless-Mouse-Buttons/dp/B001DHECXA/ref=pd_sim_147_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41z9BmLy84L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0FY3V7EGRM30VG6J7VN0

If I do not win, I completely understand and would welcome any recommendations for my holiday purchases for my father. 

A laptop for my mom, anything decent will do, as a thanks for everthing she does for me and my sister.

but here's one I found (Is cyber monday still active or something? I'm seeing some pretty big price cuts)

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Sleekbook-15-b123nr-Bluetooth/dp/B00AZL0M34/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449757309&sr=1-3&keywords=laptop&refinements=p_n_feature_nineteen_browse-bin%3A9521919011%2Cp_n_feature_eighteen_browse-bin%3A6819965011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A9697950011%7C3081486011

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

Mom and dad are still using an old computer, so some form of tablet would be a great Christmas gift for them. Both practical and nice to have.

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-9-7-Inch-Tablet-Titanium/dp/B00V49LQZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449244574&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+tab+a&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

I would like to be able to get my Grandpa a Nexus 9. This is because this Christmas we're getting him internet access and we obviously want to get him something to use that internet with, so this would be perfect along with a Chromecast which we would get him. He is 83 and not tech-savvy, but he learnt how to use his *awful* Humax TV recorder so I think this would be great for him, especially since he can check the news, weather and watch catch-up TV.

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-Tablet-8-9-Inch-Black/dp/B00M6UC5B4

Expert procrastinator.

I want do give it to my father....

Because he was such an technicnoob that he doesn´t want to buy an new one and the old one is OLD...

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-Tri-Band-Gigabit-R8000/dp/B00KWHMR6G/ref=zg_bs_172504_65

It would be nice to give it to him at Chrismas and to show him how bad the old one was. B) 

My brother recently joined the PC master race and has been using a GTS 450 (Yes, a GTS 450) To play games, he's complaining about the performance and the noise, so I'd get him (if I had the money) the EVGA GTX 780ti SC:

Although, @nicklmg is it ok that it is used? Does it have to be new? You can get them used for $270, as you can see.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00GMTGJIU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

A nice SFF barebones PC for my sister (I'll add the RAM myself and she's got a 2.5'' HDD).

She's getting by with an ancient tower that's emitting horrible noises and is slow as a slug even when it's not loaded with crapware.

My uncle got into a car accident and his phone got destroyed...

I'm trying to budget him a new phone, but I figure I might try for this giveaway :)

I'd like to get him something really nice... He's always had a flip-phone... He is always getting lost on the roads, so if I got him some kind of smart phone he'd be able to GPS himself around and I wouldn't have to worry so much about him... Maybe if he didn't get lost so much he wouldn't of gotten into his accident, but. Anyways.

Thanks for doing this giveaway. Would be so great if I could get him this phone!

Happy Holidays Nick!

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SCH-i545-Smartphone-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00ZASQOGQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1449250544&sr=8-3&keywords=Smart+Phone+Samsung+Galaxy+Unlocked

As my parents are on old-age pension they need something to do and for that I think I would be able to teach to use Nvidia shiled TV for streaming content as in Estonia we do not have data caps on broadband and 400/40Mb is quite good internet for that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013HK3YH0/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Currently the 500GB+remote bundle is less than 300$ but if the bundle goes away I would be happy with a 16GB+remote version as they would still be able to stream content.

Compute Stick with keyboard.

To my mom.

Since me and my brother moved out, newest PC besides her work laptop has AMD 64 CPU and 2 gigs of RAM. It had XP and now Ubuntu. She really needs windows machine for general stuff that can't be done with linux. She can't install anything to work laptop which makes using things with bundle software impossible. This includes activity bracelet I got for her. I'll give my current C2D laptop to her for now, with Vista on board. She doesn't want anything big around so Compute stick of sort would really fit to her use.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would get the Harmony Ultimate One for my parents. They currently have the old Harmony 550 that I setup for them years ago but is now acting very flakey and is frustrating them to no end. My dad had hip replacement surgery 3 weeks ago and my mom has bad knees which has kept them house bound for a while now. Having a new remote would make both of our lives much less stressful and easier...

Thanks for offering the giveaway!

I would get a 3rd gen Nest Thermostat for my father. He still uses a wall-mounted crappy thermostat, which loses its settings after a power loss.

http://www.amazon.ca/Nest-Learning-Thermostat-3rd-Generation/dp/B012R8MVHC/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1449748949&sr=1-2

But since that is on the border of US$300, it might be out of competition if Amazon raises the price a bit, so in that case, here is the 2nd gen model:

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00A7JSLMS?keywords=nest&qid=1449257964&ref_=nav_ya_signin&s=electronics&sr=1-1

I would get a new headset for my brother because he is currently using a 10 dollar pair of ear buds that barely work. He complains about it a lot and I was gonna get this for him

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00R246UT2/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1449260781&sr=8-3π=SY200_QL40&keywords=Leather+USB+Wired+Stereo+Micphone+Headphone+Mic+Headset&dpPl=1&dpID=41iOB9qePoL&ref=plSrch

I have my own pair and this will be pretty much equal for him

The smartest idiot you will ever find

I would get a copy of Adobe Lightroom. (actual program, not yearly subscription) for my fiance'. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VWCKJVA?keywords=Adobe%20Lightroom&qid=1449260650&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

I just gave her my older DSLR, and she has been using picasa and online photo editors for awhile, and not a better program like Lightroom. She wants to further her photography knowledge, and is across the country and cannot just use my computer and copy of lightroom. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

I'd get my grandmother a smartphone 'cause she doesn't have one.

Samsung Galaxy Avant - No Contract (T-Mobile)

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Avant-Contract-T-Mobile/dp/B00N3FSWG8/ref=sr_1_8?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1449264090&sr=1-8&keywords=T-Mobile

Price w/ Shipping (No Tax): USD $155.00

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

I would have to get my parents this soundbar. While my mum is ok with new tech and my Dad is still in the dark ages neither can understand how bad the sound is from their new TV.

Yes it's 4K but the speakers are terrible. They also can't seem to understand how sound can travel without wires.

They need help.

My link is here.

http://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-MagniFi-Wireless-Subwoofer/dp/B013UCJLHM/ref=sr_1_8?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1449266131&sr=1-8&keywords=sound+bar&refinements=p_36%3A20000-30000

Thanks for the giveaway Linus.

Nothing to see here - move along.

http://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLink-Bluetooth-Speaker-Carbon/dp/B00WK47VEW/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1449268483&sr=1-4&keywords=bose+soundlink+mini

I'd love to get this for my brother. He's only using the poor speakers from his laptop, but he loves music. This would be a really cool upgrade.

Thanks for all the videos you have made this year, they've been really great. Recently, loved the surface book review and particularly liked the format of the original video for this thread. 

Merry Christmas, LTT

Patrick