Windows 10 Threshold 2 Removes Some Desktop Programs During Install

If you've ready installed Windows 10 Threshold 2, the chances are that some of your desktop applications might be missing because it turns out that the update is actually removing a number of programs from computers.

A reddit post point to some of the apps that might be lost after the update to Windows 10 Threshold 2, and these include CPU-Z,Speccy,Cisco VPN Client, and others. but the list could be bigger as these are believed to be programs that aren't compatible with the new OS version.

Basically, the installer automatically removes incompatible apps from your computer not only because they won't work on Threshold 2 but also to prevent any issue from occurring during the setup process.

When Windows 10 was officially release, Microsoft rolled it out in stages to Windows 7 and 8.1 computers as software compatibility issues were resolved. Redmond focused specifically on such problems and worked together with software developers to address them, but also asked users to help by reporting inconveniences they might find.

No list of removed apps
This effort is continued on Threshold 2, but users aren’t actually informed about the apps that are being removed during the process, so the only way to discover them is to actually look in the Settings screen to see which apps are still there.

Threshold 2 also creates a Windows.old folder on the C: drive that groups all removed apps, so you can have a look in there too in case you suspect that the installer deleted one of the programs.

Certainly, this is quite a helpful addition to the Windows 10 Threshold 2 feature lineup because it prevents compatibility issues from happening on your computer, but Microsoft clearly needs to improve it to provide users with more information on the apps getting removed. Playing the detective game on Threshold 2 isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, so let’s hope Microsoft sees this and fixes it in a future update.

Source: http://news.softpedia.com/news/windows-10-threshold-2-removes-some-desktop-programs-during-install-496120.shtml

If you have had a program removed, try reinstalling it. I did so with Speccy and it works just fine. No compatibility issues as far as I can tell.

I really don't like Microsoft for doing this. Not only have they built in the functionality to remotely remove programs (even win32 applications), but they are already using it to remove a lot of programs.

wtf

also on that site:

“We’ve observed that some devices that have an SD bus with an SD card inserted while installing the Windows 10 November update will stop responding at 44%, and we are currently investigating the issue,” the company said in a statement.

if they think its incompatible

id rather have them remove the programs for less problems..then have them keep it..and have it crash the pc or corrupt something

user can very easily reinstall the programs if they want

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I really don't like Microsoft for doing this. Not only have they built in the functionality to remotely remove programs (even win32 applications), but they are already using it to remove a lot of programs.

I totally agree with you on that. Not to mention that according to a member of an another forum auto driver updates cant be stopped after th2 update(not even with the ms tool). But this is just a rumor and i have no way to test it since this update wont install on my main rig(tried 2 times but both of them failed, since them WU says that the system is up to date) .

Edited by jagdtigger

Downloading and installing the update now. Curious if anything will get removed.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Wait, we actually have the Cisco VPN client at work, my work laptop uses it for my VPN access to the work database, good catch I'll be sure not to move from windows 8.1 from the time being.

If you have had a program removed, try reinstalling it. I did so with Speccy and it works just fine. No compatibility issues as far as I can tell.

I called this: Microsoft making stupid, arbitrary decisions without user input or control.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It removed my Spybot Search & Destroy ... but I got popup offering me to reinstall it as soon as I booted into Windows.

It removed my Spybot Search & Destroy ... but I got popup offering me to reinstall it as soon as I booted into Windows.

People still use Spybot Search & Destroy?

and also reinstall previously uninstalled MS metro apps

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

what if Microsoft removed something you paid for?

I have a few niche programs that I paid for and would be very pissed off if they where removed without my consent

Its all about those volumetric clouds

You know what's interesting? I actually didn't have my Cisco AnyConnect VPN client uninstall, even though it was apparently supposed to?

And I'm running an older version: 3.1 because we haven't updated our subscription service  <_< .

Guess it might be time to switch to OpenConnect. Or Windows can get it's act together and support Cisco's IPsec / SSL tunnels natively  :angry:.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

If this is Microsoft's bidding, then I have one thing to say to them: Fuck you. Removing programs that I have installed when there is nothing wrong with them is just wrong.

When I updated to the latest W10 build, I was notified of CPU-Z being "incompatible" which makes no sense. Having to reinstall a program after upgrading builds even though it's perfectly compatible is irritating.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Nothing was removed for me. 

If this is Microsoft's bidding, then I have one thing to say to them: Fuck you. Removing programs that I have installed when there is nothing wrong with them is just wrong.

When I updated to the latest W10 build, I was notified of CPU-Z being "incompatible" which makes no sense. Having to reinstall a program after upgrading builds even though it's perfectly compatible is irritating.

I think it's more of a "It could cause problems if you run it in this very specific scenario" than a "This won't run at all so we're removing it" Regardless, I don't think MS should be doing this. Inform the user there may be compatibility issues and then ask if they want the effect programs remove or not before installation. I'm not on a Mac, I don't need my hand held and told what I can and can't do with my hardware/software.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Nothing was removed for me. 

CPU-Z has been removed on my rig as well as my laptop when upgrading W10 builds.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

CPU-Z has been removed on my rig as well as my laptop when upgrading W10 builds.

Should have mentioned I don't have any of the programs mentioned in the OP. I do have CPUZ portable though which wasn't removed.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Should have mentioned I don't have any of the programs mentioned in the OP. I do have CPUZ portable though which wasn't removed.

That's probably why - it's not a program that's installed. It just runs.

If this is Microsoft's bidding, then I have one thing to say to them: Fuck you. Removing programs that I have installed when there is nothing wrong with them is just wrong.

Note: I think programs like CPUz use the SMBUS to detect things like CPU specs, microcontroller version, DIMM information, etc. 

Since the latest update did push out some performance improvements, it's possible microsoft may have changed some of the hardware timers that the OS uses as a basis for things like the SMBUS communications. If that was the case, then running programs which have not been updated could potentially BSOD Windows.

So, this is more MS airing on the side of caution. My 2 cents.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Note: I think programs like CPUz use the SMBUS to detect things like CPU specs, microcontroller version, DIMM information, etc. 

Since the latest update dudd push out some performance improvements, its possible microsoft may have changed some of the hardware timers that the OS uses as a basis for things like the SMBUS. If that was the case, then running programs which have not been updated could potentially BSOD WIndows.

So, this is more MS airing on the side of caution. My 2 cents.

CPU-Z doesn't run in the background.

Wait, we actually have the Cisco VPN client at work, my work laptop uses it for my VPN access to the work database, good catch I'll be sure not to move from windows 8.1 from the time being.

I called this: Microsoft making stupid, arbitrary decisions without user input or control.

Yay for surrendering control of your Operating System.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What I dont get is why didnt they just make an .txt file stating hey we had to remove this stuff, might wanna reacquire it down the road like when you do a factory reset.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit