Windows 10 Threshold 2 Removes Some Desktop Programs During Install

That's even worse!

Microsoft should just put a notification in action centre saying "program ____ may cause problems, because it is incompatible with this version of windows".

A noob can click uninstall or ignore it and wait for update that will make it compatible, or a techie can just ignore it, because we know what we're doing.

That's what I said? "Inform the user there may be compatibility issues and then ask if they want the effect programs remove or not before installation."

A true noob would just close the notification and then bitch when the program caused their PC to bsod and then they'd go out and buy a Mac  :lol:

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

That's what I said? "Inform the user there may be compatibility issues and then ask if they want the effect programs remove or not before installation."

A true noob would just close the notification and then bitch when the program caused their PC to bsod and then they'd go out and buy a Mac  :lol:

I was saying that removing it because it might cause issues is even worse than removing it because it will cause issues.

And then i was agreeing with you, and suggesting the implementation.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

I was saying that removing it because it might cause issues is even worse than removing it because it will cause issues.

And then i was agreeing with you, and suggesting the implementation.

Ah. But how is removing it worse? What if the problem was a bluescreen while windows was starting? Then it's more of a hassle to remove the program 

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Ah. But how is removing it worse? What if the problem was a bluescreen while windows was starting? Then it's more of a hassle to remove the program 

Removing it without notification that is.

So first off, removing a program that I installed without telling me is horrible behaviour, but doing it because the program might have caused a problem? That's even worse. How do they regulate that? This program has a known issue, so let's remove it? 

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Removing it without notification that is.

So first off, removing a program that I installed without telling me is horrible behaviour, but doing it because the program might have caused a problem? That's even worse. How do they regulate that? This program has a known issue, so let's remove it? 

I'm not sure how they regulate it but I agree they shouldn't remove stuff without notifying the user... No uninstalling without notification! THIS IS A REVOLUTION! 

JK :P I'm surprised it doesn't say it's going to remove programs really.. if you do a refresh from the Settings it will give you a list of programs that will be removed before doing anything

I'm not sure how they regulate it but I agree they shouldn't remove stuff without notifying the user... No uninstalling without notification! THIS IS A REVOLUTION! 

JK :P I'm surprised it doesn't say it's going to remove programs really.. if you do a refresh from the Settings it will give you a list of programs that will be removed before doing anything

Given how Microsoft have been acting lately, i'm not inclined to think that Microsoft will ever tell us how they regulate it.

For example, just yesterday (after installing threshold 2) i found that my default programs had been reset. Why? well so that Microsoft could try to push MS edge on me again. It's this kind of thing that makes me glad that i only use windows for my games.

Also, http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/14/microsoft-windows-10-threshold-2-problems/ says that there was a notification?

Given how Microsoft have been acting lately, i'm not inclined to think that Microsoft will ever tell us how they regulate it.

For example, just yesterday (after installing threshold 2) i found that my default programs had been reset. Why? well so that Microsoft could try to push MS edge on me again. It's this kind of thing that makes me glad that i only use windows for my games.

Also, http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/14/microsoft-windows-10-threshold-2-problems/ says that there was a notification?

My default settings weren't reset :D and you get notified after installtion of threshold 2 if programs were removed. But if you go to Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > and choose to reset the PC you get a dialogue showing what will be removed before anything is actually removed. 

UOqmnwb.png

-snip-

Why does going to reset your pc relate to the issue here? Resetting your pc won't remove incompatible apps, it'll remove all of them (or at least, most) (except the ones from the store).

Windows most certainly doesn't remove those apps due incompatibility. Hell, if win removed Battlefield 4, there would be hell to pay. 65 GB data, on a 400KB/s connection. No.

I never got a notification. Although, since the notification centre in Win10 is so poorly implemented, i wouldn't be surprised if i missed it.

Why does going to reset your pc relate to the issue here? Resetting your pc won't remove incompatible apps, it'll remove all of them (or at least, most) (except the ones from the store).

Windows most certainly doesn't remove those apps due incompatibility. Hell, if win removed Battlefield 4, there would be hell to pay. 65 GB data, on a 400KB/s connection. No.

I never got a notification. Although, since the notification centre in Win10 is so poorly implemented, i wouldn't be surprised if i missed it.

It relates because the screen prior you tell it to keep all of your files, the next window I showed above counters that by saying your files will stay except the ones we are deleting. Same with updating, it's going to keep all of your files, except those deemed incompatible, however, this time we won't tell you we are deleting them until it's to late.

BUcltKQ.gif

So I just updated my machine and upon final restart, when it finally loaded up my original desktop, there was a small, brief message box at the bottom right, saying that CPUz was removed. It only showed for about 5 seconds though. 

I'm SO going the KVM route in my next major system upgrade (more precisely, when I decide it's time to change cpu and get access to the iGPU). At this point the only reason for me to use windows is games, as I can do everything else that I need on linux just fine.

Yep, totally going this route. Going to wait for that process to become more refined first, maybe in 6 months or so.  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Okay this is bullshit. I'm hesitant to update now.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Am I the only one who has not gotten the update on both my desktop and laptop?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I updated to the new build yesterday and I only had two issues.

1. Bitdefender IS 2015 was no longer working. Updated to 2016 and it's flawless.

2. CPU-Z and HWMonitor were removed. Reinstalled them both, no problems.

One thing I noticed with this update  is that it loads everything significantly faster especially games from my HDD(a very slow caviar green WD 500GB). I don't know if it is just the placebo effect or anything else. But I've seen a lot of users noticing speed bumps so it might be something.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Downloading and installing the update now. Curious if anything will get removed.

check your privacy settings, my all got turned back on

If you have had a program removed, try reinstalling it. I did so with Speccy and it works just fine. No compatibility issues as far as I can tell.

I really don't like Microsoft for doing this. Not only have they built in the functionality to remotely remove programs (even win32 applications), but they are already using it to remove a lot of programs.

same issue it deleted my antivirus so i reinstalled it

mine were never off

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Which privacy settings? The ones in the settings apps did not change for me.

if they think its incompatible

id rather have them remove the programs for less problems..then have them keep it..and have it crash the pc or corrupt something

user can very easily reinstall the programs if they want

Yeah but it's not...

Yeah but it's not...

huh?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I delayed the update on 3 of my computers until Thursday so I have time to do each one manually. Did my gaming system last night and it uninstalled Netgear's "Genie" program. Doesn't really bother me since I was planning to uninstall it myself. That said, it did give a notification when I logged in to inform me that the program had been uninstalled and stated that it was "not compatible" with this build of Windows which makes no sense. Microsoft must have deprecated an older version of a DLL or something that the program used.

It removes the programs for no reason, not because they're not compatible.

obviously ms found problems with those programs...they aren't doing it for no reason ...think before you speak

obviously ms found problems with those programs...they aren't doing it for no reason ...think before you speak

Read before you write... people are saying that they re-installed the programs with no issues.

Read before you write... people are saying that they re-installed the programs with no issues.

that has no meaning to the upgrade

the upgrade might be incompatible

think!