Most useless key on the keyboard and what it should be instead

German_John

The * button on the numpad, should be a = key like the old Apple Extendeds.

I use the numpad almost solely for calculating stuff. Removing multiplication from it would render the whole thing pretty much useless for me...

How about middle mouse button on a webpage? c:

But then you have to grab the mouse... Sometimes it's so nice to not have to move your hands away from your keyboard. It really gives me an awesome feeling :P

EDIT: And that thing on my current mouse doesn't click in... :/

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

How about middle mouse button on a webpage? c:

I use a program at work for data entry that was designed in the early 90's so everything is being dealt with commands on the keyboard.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

But then you have to grab the mouse... Sometimes it's so nice to not have to move your hands away from your keyboard. It really gives me an awesome feeling :P

EDIT: And that thing on my current mouse doesn't click in... :/

How many ways can you take that sentence? xD Kill me and my dirty mind.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

F11... seriously. Have you ever used F11?

I use it to switch my games in and out of fullscreen mode.

middle mouse button is amazing. Click a link with it and see why.

I also use it as my voice chat hotkey in most, if not all games. Reason: Before I ever had a gaming mouse, I always had one with only the 3 standard buttons. I made use of that middle mouse button as an easy way to use VC.

To this day I still use it instead of my side buttons. RIP.

play Elder scrolls/Fallout and see if you still think that.

I've actually had to use it to get around bugs :(

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I found myself using them when using Word at university, when my PC was wanting to do it's own format thing.

For me the most useless button is the backslash button. I've never used it, and for me it just ruins the enter button when located like where it is in the image. I like having a tall enter button.

X8MpW.png

If you ever write documents in LaTeX the backslash is about the most used key lol. For me, I hate the Windows key. Alt+Tab is what I use when I want to break out of fullscreen. Well, and of course Caps Lock. What an annoyance that button is.

Scroll lock, and all of these:

200px-Insertpad.svg.png

Just never find myself using them... dunno what I'd change them too though. Macros?

These are absolutely necessary for anyone that does any serious word processing and programming. They're also great for games. Games like space engineers are reliant on them!

I found myself using them when using Word at university, when my PC was wanting to do it's own format thing.

For me the most useless button is the backslash button. I've never used it, and for me it just ruins the enter button when located like where it is in the image. I like having a tall enter button.

X8MpW.png

This is a crucial key, you use it all the time to type directories in Windows (For example C:\Windows\Media\onestop.mid) and is also necessary for programming. and \"escaping certain characters\"\r\n

Minecraft fullscreen Budvm2K.png

In all seriousness, this toggles full screen in a variety of applications. Minecraft being a notable example.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

These are absolutely necessary for anyone that does any serious word processing

(del, home, end, pg down/up) omg yes they are so awesome, I just made a word document for school, en those keys often help me a lot. I really can't miss them.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

I take back what I said about the Windows key. I need to tap it twice to get my keyboard working in Chrome.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Im in the process of making a 40% keyboard so anything not on this is something i view not needed as much lol

sEolzBs.png

bottom left 3 keys and space bar are clearly the wrong size if you couldnt see in this image lol

Abi4eZz.jpg

I really need to get back to work on it I just need to edit some firmware for it and finish it up.

Unpopular opinion: The super key(aka, windows key). I've never had a use for the thing, not in the 90's and not now.

Yes on that.

I use two monitors, Win key is absolutely crucial.

Why?

Well, other than the obsolete Scroll Lock, I want to say Right Shift, Right Ctrl and the Menu Button. I don't think I have ever used any of them without it being an accident.

Everything else, on the other hand, I've used for something.

I own and use, sorted from newest to oldest: SteelSeries 6Gv2. Microsoft SideWinder X4. Mionix Naos 7000. Zowie EC1 Evo. Microsoft SideWinder X8. Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0. Dell U2414H. Samsung P2270H. AKG K273 Pro. Sennheiser HD555. Razer Goliathus Speed Medium. Func 1030 L. Qpad CT Medium.

I used to own: Razer DeathAdder 3G. Razer Krait. IntelliMouse Optical 1.1. SteelSeries QcK.

Im in the process of making a 40% keyboard so anything not on this is something i view not needed as much lol

sEolzBs.png

bottom left 3 keys and space bar are clearly the wrong size if you couldnt see in this image lol

Abi4eZz.jpg

I really need to get back to work on it I just need to edit some firmware for it and finish it up.

No Backspace?

Caps Lock for least useful in a useful place. I actually think the Colemak layout has the best idea with Backspace replacing CapsLock, I replaced it with Enter for myself though.

when i played Tera i had F1-12 bound

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

No Backspace?

Caps Lock for least useful in a useful place. I actually think the Colemak layout has the best idea with Backspace replacing CapsLock, I replaced it with Enter for myself though.

the \ key will be backspace i just forgot to change that in the layout editor