Microsoft Surface Book announced at Microsoft 2015 Hardware Event - NVIDIA GPU, Lastest Intel Chips

For those curious about how it closes and it not closing all the way, this is what it looks like when closed "all the way". It doesn't seem so bad to me personally since it closes fully at the end but make of it what you will. :P

attachicon.gifen-INTL-L-Atlas-Devices-CR9-00001-RM2-mnco.jpg

Yea. 2 things I am worried:

1- High pressure. Can it survive in a full backpack with big books or travel stuff?

2- scratch at the top edge due to lack of rubber feet. It doesn't help that the device is in magnesium, meaning it is painted body as you can't dye it. This means the moment it will get scratch you'll see shiny metal. It will show. The only thing I see that will help is some sort of strange cover that goes inside the Surface Book close which adds support for high pressure being applied, and has a long fabric attach to it that goes over the keyboard and a bit out to avoid scratching the edge over time. If you get what I am trying to say

I don't know why, but I have a STRONG feeling that the Surface Book 2 will have a different improved hinge that will allow the device to close it completely. Also, helped with more power efficient Nvidia GPU later on (I mean, it is expected, much like Intel... who knows maybe another custom chip where it will be a lower end chip where normally you don't have HBM2 but it will have specifically).

The only thing they say about the gpu upgrade on the preorder page is that its an nvidia geforce dgpu? ok...so which one?

And holy balls that's priced out to lunch. $2700...get bent MS

See at least with Apple you get 1 TB of Samsung XP941 in RAID 0, an R7 M370X, an Intel Core I7 4980HQ or 5950HQ, Apple's great speakers and screen, and the strong software environment for $3000. MS is on crack if it thinks it can compel people to buy this for this price.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

See at least with Apple you get 1 TB of Samsung XP941 in RAID 0, an R7 M370X, an Intel Core I7 4980HQ or 5950HQ, Apple's great speakers and screen, and the strong software environment for $3000. MS is on crack if it thinks it can compel people to buy this for this price.

But, you have no Nvidia GPU, lower screen resolution screen (less tall), less battery life, no digitize pen. Also, you can't say that the screen or speakers is better, you never seen the Surface Book. Also, the software environment is weak on Apple compared to Microsoft. I don't think I need show any facts on this.

I think what really adds to the cost is the custom Nvidia GPU.

Nvidia charges a lot for their GPUs, that is why no console has their GPU now. Sony got burned with the PS3. That is why they all went with AMD. Nvidia charges even more for custom chips. Basically Nvidia wants to, and pushing to, to make a nice profit margin on their GPU, and won't accept near cost revenue. I honestly won't be surprised if Microsoft makes less money on the base model with the Nvidia GPU, than on the actual base model.

Also battery is expensive, you have a lot of it on the Surface Book, same for heatsinks. That is why low end system, always have those always on fans, or they get hot which not even having a dedicated GPU. They skim on the cooling solution. Here on the desktop space we are lucky, as you can make a cheap one with ease. Laptops you have space constrains and air flow constraints as well. Meaning you need to add more R&D cost to it, beside the already additional cost.

Now, does all this justifies the price. No. It clearly does have a Microsoft tax on the device. But as I always said, Microsoft systems doesn't try and compete with OEMs. It is a showcase device. You want the best experience that you can get running Windows, no matter what? Look no further. It is the Titan's from Nvidia but from Microsoft, and they only make Titan's. Microsoft system are so junk free, that you don't even have driver control panel. And you can download the recovery image of the system from Microsoft website. No OEM has this. The best you pay a premium price for disk or USB flash drive, and you have all the built-in junk/bloatware included in it. Also, once you install Windows from the recovery image, on the Surface line all you need to do is do a Windows update and boom, latest drivers and UEFI. OEM, well you need to go on their website, which many of them are a pain in the ass to use, find the drivers for the right part/configuration you have, download and install them, some are still older than the manufacture website, so you need to go there to get them. You don't have the ease of install experience.

Surprising that Microsoft didn't go with an AMD GPU tbh

Yea. Especially that it cost much less.

I do know that Microsoft and Nvidia always had this good relationship together. That is why I was a bit shocked to hear that the XBox One had an AMD graphics solution (then again the XBox 360 had AMD GPU as well), despite the rumors saying, at the time, that both Sony and Microsoft would have about the same chip. Surface 1 and 2 has Nvidia chip. Zune HD has an Nvidia chip. And Microsoft got screwed over with the original XBox where they over paid the Nvidia GPU and got burned.

I don't know why they have such a good relationship, to be honest, but they do, and despite Nvidia charging a premium price for their product, Microsoft has no problem paying it, and no worries in passing it down to the consumer.

Yea. Especially that it cost much less.

I do know that Microsoft and Nvidia always had this good relationship together. That is why I was a bit shocked to hear that the XBox One had an AMD graphics solution, despite the rumors saying, at the time, that both Sony and Microsoft would have about the same chip. I don't know why they have such a good relationship, to be honest, but they do, and despite Nvidia charging a premium price for their product, Microsoft has no problem paying it, and no worries in passing it down to the consumer.

You know what makes Microsoft's and Nvidia's relationship especially odd?

The original Xbox, which, from what I heard, got an early ax to the head because Nvidia didn't want to produce chips for it for cheaper.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

You know what makes Microsoft's and Nvidia's relationship especially odd?

The original Xbox, which, from what I heard, got an early ax to the head because Nvidia didn't want to produce chips for it for cheaper.

Yup. I know. Like, it's not like Nvidia goes "Microsoft is the best, buy Microsoft products", Nvidia doesn't do special pricing to Microsoft. I just don't get it. I mean good for them, and I guess good for us.

Might as well get surface pro 4 instead of surface book, same thing with tablet and detachable keyboard. I wouldn't consider this worth buying for $1500 even if it has a GPU. Might as well get surface because cheaper and basically same features. But that just me i dunno

I     own     alienware     computer     XPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Still think Microsoft should've done a laptop earlier.

You know what, maybe not. Microsoft is new to the hardware business, and paying very close attention to the development of the Surface line, I can tell you that Microsoft at each generation has learned A LOT on how to make a laptop. Nice specs, and engineering isn't sufficient. You have production issues to deal with, constant monitoring of the manufacture process because these Chinese manufacture WILL cut corners, including using cheaper grade paint to save money on the back of the company, so that the product looks fine, but after a while the paint will chip away. This is just an example. You have UEFI/BIOS system and upgrade process, you have plug designs, etc.

If Microsoft made the Surface Book, it would not be anywhere near as good as it is now, I believe. And even now, 2 potential issues where pointed out (scratch from being closed over time at the device edge, and how it fairs with high pressure applied to the device). Despite attention high details, there are some things that seams to slip up.

If I ever get that kind of money, I'd still stick with the original Surface line. My Surface 3 is great, and the Surface Pro 4 looks fantastic. The Book is just too expensive and untested at this point. Maybe gen 2?

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

I'm intrigued by the latch. Any sites going in depth on the design(apart from Verge' attempt)? Also, I remember seeing some hype about an Apple patent of a similar iteration. 

Out of current gpu's and that form factor probably a 950M or something similar.

I would hazard a 920M or 930M considering that thinness. Oh well. RIP battery life.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

They're taking the idea of a Macbook and are improving upon it in some ways.

I do feel the surface/Lumia lineup will be more of a Nexus style of things for Windows 10.

Hmm I will be keeping my eye on this, since I am on the lookout for new hardware

not 100% convinced yet

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Linus should do a review on the surface book.

He should give it to one of the editors to replace their desktop for a month and see how it performs.

Just found this http://microsoft-news.com/heres-how-surface-book-detachable-experience-works/

Key points:

• When you are detaching the device, Windows will ask you to close the apps that are using GPU.
  • Unlike the devices in the past with external GPU, you need to restart the device to take advantage the power of GPU.
  • Since most of the battery is in the base, you will get only about 3 hours of battery life when Surface Book is in detached state. In laptop mode, you will get about 12 hours of battery life.

That last point is the most disappointing, only 3 hours in tablet mode means it won't be able to last through a day of lectures detached from the base and away from power. Looks like this is another key differentiation from the SP4.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

-snip-

It is worth mentioning that the GPU is located under the keyboard so essentially gives the tablet more GPU power when docked. The tablet itself has it's own intergrated GPU.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

The Verge posted a nice comparison between the new Surface Products and the SP3 and MacBook Air / Pro and iPad Pro.

1ca9a362f1.png

I need more SSDs.

The Verge posted a nice comparison between the new Surface Products and the SP3 and MacBook Air / Pro and iPad Pro.

1ca9a362f1.png

The iPad pro is rekt if that table is anything to go by.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

But, you have no Nvidia GPU, lower screen resolution screen (less tall), less battery life, no digitize pen. Also, you can't say that the screen or speakers is better, you never seen the Surface Book. Also, the software environment is weak on Apple compared to Microsoft. I don't think I need show any facts on this.

I think what really adds to the cost is the custom Nvidia GPU.

Nvidia charges a lot for their GPUs, that is why no console has their GPU now. Sony got burned with the PS3. That is why they all went with AMD. Nvidia charges even more for custom chips. Basically Nvidia wants to, and pushing to, to make a nice profit margin on their GPU, and won't accept near cost revenue. I honestly won't be surprised if Microsoft makes less money on the base model with the Nvidia GPU, than on the actual base model.

Also battery is expensive, you have a lot of it on the Surface Book, same for heatsinks. That is why low end system, always have those always on fans, or they get hot which not even having a dedicated GPU. They skim on the cooling solution. Here on the desktop space we are lucky, as you can make a cheap one with ease. Laptops you have space constrains and air flow constraints as well. Meaning you need to add more R&D cost to it, beside the already additional cost.

Now, does all this justifies the price. No. It clearly does have a Microsoft tax on the device. But as I always said, Microsoft systems doesn't try and compete with OEMs. It is a showcase device. You want the best experience that you can get running Windows, no matter what? Look no further. It is the Titan's from Nvidia but from Microsoft, and they only make Titan's. Microsoft system are so junk free, that you don't even have driver control panel. And you can download the recovery image of the system from Microsoft website. No OEM has this. The best you pay a premium price for disk or USB flash drive, and you have all the built-in junk/bloatware included in it. Also, once you install Windows from the recovery image, on the Surface line all you need to do is do a Windows update and boom, latest drivers and UEFI. OEM, well you need to go on their website, which many of them are a pain in the ass to use, find the drivers for the right part/configuration you have, download and install them, some are still older than the manufacture website, so you need to go there to get them. You don't have the ease of install experience.

Battery life's about the same at 8 - 9 hours, older GPU was the 750M, resolution is still retina class. No one's beaten Apple's speakers on a laptop to date. I don't expect that to change with this shoddy Microsoft prototype that is very clearly copying the aluminum clamshell and even I/O port setup that Apple's been using for years.

As per the rest, true, but Apple has a very similar and equally cheap recovery option.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Battery life's about the same at 8 - 9 hours, older GPU was the 750M, resolution is still retina class. No one's beaten Apple's speakers on a laptop to date. I don't expect that to change with this shoddy Microsoft prototype that is very clearly copying the aluminum clamshell and even I/O port setup that Apple's been using for years.

As per the rest, true, but Apple has a very similar and equally cheap recovery option.

Never beaten Apple's speakers? Lmao, try the multimedia laptops from the same price bracket. And try older multimedia laptops as well-right back to the Pentium 4 Northwood.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

MacBook...surfacebook... This is blatant copying of apple's naming scheme. They couldn't be bothered to come up with anything else?

between this and the iPad (surface) Pro I swear they could just be rebranding each others stuff by now.

- snip-

Never beaten Apple's speakers? Lmao, try the multimedia laptops from the same price bracket. And try older multimedia laptops as well-right back to the Pentium 4 Northwood.

I have. I get fuller, warmer bass, a strong middle range, and a light treble, just as it should be, and I actually get volume.

Go ahead and try. No laptop beats the current Macbook Pro Retina in sound.

Only the 15" rmbp has a dgpu. Not the 13" which is what the Surface Book is being compared with.