Microsoft Surface Book announced at Microsoft 2015 Hardware Event - NVIDIA GPU, Lastest Intel Chips

If its there why wouldnt you use it?

Because I don't have 10 hours for it to finish a render my desktop would do in 20 minutes. Not having it on the other hand would allow for lower overall power draw (regardless of the gpu itsef, having the extra circuitry to accomodate it is a needless waste of space and resources), more space for a larger battery and possibly a lower price tag.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Because I don't have 10 hours for it to finish a render my desktop would do in 20 minutes. Not having it on the other hand would allow for lower overall power draw (regardless of the gpu itsef, having the extra circuitry to accomodate it is a needless waste of space and resources), more space for a larger battery and possibly a lower price tag.

And the design complexity for Nvidia would go up by having more variety of dies. CUDA will still be much faster than the CPU alone.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

All we know is that the Nvidia chip is Maxwell based. That is from Nvidia themselves, and they are not sharing any details more than this.

CUDA will still be much faster than the CPU alone.

I'm not particularly convinced. And as I said, that doesn't even come into play, because no sane person will use this for rendering.

All we know is that the Nvidia chip is Maxwell based. That is from Nvidia themselves, and they are not sharing any details more than this.

Hopefully it's not garbage then

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Hopefully it's not garbage then

If they are not sharing details, I expect it to be weak.

This is what I what I expect, a low end maxwell chip, probably the end result performance be a 930M, with 1GB of GDDR5 memory, and will use DDR4 shared from the system. Basically, instead of being fully shared memory, it will have 1GB of fast memory, is what I am saying. So if you do like CAD work, video editing but a small'ish project, it should be fine. If you play games, you probably want to set the textures to minimum. It will hurt if you use higher settings. The GPU performance itself should be better than Intel graphics solution with a nice margin.

The big up, is as I said, everything will work, contrary to Intel graphics solution where you need to check compatibility.

Yes because only Apple uses the book moniker for laptops... they can't name it pro because they already have a pro, and unlike the pro 4 this is a laptop that can work as a tablet and not a tablet that can work as a laptop, i think book is the best word they can uses to say this is a laptop and not a tablet like the other surfaces.

Not only that the hinge is very book like especially when it is closed and in the revers position, if anything the surface book deserves the book moniker more than any other device imho.

am i the only one sho sees a bigger picture here? that maybe, just maybe, external GPUs may become more than the niche they currently are if this picks up, adding an extra pcie connector type (the one used by ms in this case) to compete against intel's thunderbolt (although now tb3 has support for pcie docking stations used with GPUs)

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

MacBook...surfacebook... This is blatant copying of apple's naming scheme. They couldn't be bothered to come up with anything else?

They probably don't care considering apple ripped off their Surface with the ipad pro / typecover /apple pencil combo

am i the only one sho sees a bigger picture here? that maybe, just maybe, external GPUs may become more than the niche they currently are if this picks up, adding an extra pcie connector type (the one used by ms in this case) to compete against intel's thunderbolt (although now tb3 has support for pcie docking stations used with GPUs)

There needs to eb something universal and hotswap only kinda works.

Yeah it's expensive as hell which is why I would get SP4.  Out of curiosity how does the surface 3 handle things? Cos i was looking at it in store and didn't feel that responsive/fluid. But that was the 2GB model I think. Also 128Gb is not enough storage!

Its not my main rig, but I got the 4GB model. I use it for notes and web browsing during classes, and I can play some lighter games on it fairly well. RimWorld is what I've been playing on it lately, some stuff really doesn't have a chance of running on it though, but that's what my desktop is for. :P

Also, it has the microSD slot, so you can easily double that if you have a 128GB mSD.

CPU: Intel i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core   Mobo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150   Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series(2x4GB) DDR3-1600   GPU: Asus Strix OC GTX 970   HDD: WD Black 2TB - 7200RPM   SDD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB   PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze - SemiMod   Case: NZXT S340 (Black)

PCPartPicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/PortedOasis/saved/fhdG3C

Video from tested

Damn, just look at that hinge.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Damn, just look at that hinge.

Is that said in a good way or a bad one?

Its not my main rig, but I got the 4GB model. I use it for notes and web browsing during classes, and I can play some lighter games on it fairly well. RimWorld is what I've been playing on it lately, some stuff really doesn't have a chance of running on it though, but that's what my desktop is for. :P

Also, it has the microSD slot, so you can easily double that if you have a 128GB mSD.

I've bad experiences with micro SD cards and windows. And where I live Micro SDs are ridiculously expensive.

Could you run stuff like Visual Studio? And also is the battery terrible? I heard it was. If it can run VS and good battery life then maybe (if it works with the pen then a yes :)   )

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

im impressed by this hardware design

specs comparable to 15 inch MBPr but in a 13 inch tablet + dock design... good deal? I'm not sure. Very nice display PPI but 3:2 ratio..?! That's not very Laptop like.

Anyway, looks neat.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Been using windows 10 since launch, didnt use the app store yet.

Windows Phone? Or Windows?

They're kind of different...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The comercial is great,but that is all we so right?

Ok,2 in 1 or even 3 in 1 laptop with good gpu for adobee.Thin light,portable.

Cant wait to see all of that baby!

Hope thats all i need.

Windows Phone? Or Windows?

They're kind of different...

Probably Windows since Windows 10 Mobile hasn't launched yet.

I've bad experiences with micro SD cards and windows. And where I live Micro SDs are ridiculously expensive.

Could you run stuff like Visual Studio? And also is the battery terrible? I heard it was. If it can run VS and good battery life then maybe (if it works with the pen then a yes :)   )

Why wouldn't it run VS? It is a full PC so of course you can

Who's going to use cuda on a 920m? This isn't a workstation

A developer can use it to develop against the Cuda API. An end user would probably not use it much if it is a low end chip.

As a developer I can tell you that to at least be able to develop against the Cuda API is a really good thing.

Remember, Cuda is not OpenCL, there is no fallback to run on CPU.

Windows 10 -> Mac OS X (pronounced Mac OS 10).

Presenting sleek hardware that people want while referring to the current 'King' in that segment, that is exactly what Apple did (was it 12 years ago?) when Jobs presented the 'TiBook' - the laptop that later developed into today's best selling laptop - the MacBook Pro. When Apple did, the made references to the best designed laptops of the time, the Sony Vaio range of laptops. They looked at the Vaio, and did their best to improve it. Microsoft are looking at the MacBook Pro and are doing their best to improve it.

I see it as Microsoft is reinventing themselves much like Apple did after Jobs came back to Apple.

A developer can use it to develop against the Cuda API. An end user would probably not use it much if it is a low end chip.

As a developer I can tell you that to at least be able to develop against the Cuda API is a really good thing.

Remember, Cuda is not OpenCL, there is no fallback to run on CPU.

true, but would you really want something like this for developing cuda applications?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

AnandTech deciphered the TDP of the system and estimate it will be a 950M at minimum possibly a 960M.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

MacBook...surfacebook... This is blatant copying of apple's naming scheme. They couldn't be bothered to come up with anything else?

Because Apple havnt just launched a bigger ipad with a keyboard and called it the Ipad pro ? besides everyone copies names in the tech business aswell as design, as least both of them arnt naming them stupid things like the suface/ipad abc123xxxfastfast.