Would you fully upgrade your PC in 3 years or just upgrade a few components

Metro

I upgrade when my computer can no longer do what I want it to do, and its usually a full system upgrade.

(by the time I upgrade a new memory standard is out, so then I have to upgrade CPU, board, RAM, and GPU is obviously uber-slow at that point so gotta get a new one of them, and at that point you may as well just grab new case, psu, drives, especially as those would be worn to shit.)

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

I have just had 1 computer myeselves for 2-3 years, before that I was using crap family computer and xbox 360. but what I plan for is to buy a GPU in half a year, and then probably a full new computer (maybe except case and PSU) 3 years after that, and then probably GPU 3 years after that and so on.

but what products that come out may change what I do, but thats it what I think probably will happen.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Probably wait 5-6 years since I will be starting college and will also need a vehicle right out of college. So not spend ANY MORE MONEY on my PC... Even though I just got the Asus ROG Swift...

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

http://i.imgur.com/ubYSO3f.jpg          http://i.imgur.com/xhpDcqd.jpg

Probably wait 5-6 years since I will be starting college and will also need a vehicle right out of college. So not spend ANY MORE MONEY on my PC... Even though I just got the Asus ROG Swift...

Lets say you did have the money, would you do a small upgrade in 3 years, or just buy all new components

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Lets say you did have the money, would you do a small upgrade in 3 years, or just buy all new components

Well it all depends on what the future has to bring. You never know if 8 core hyperthreaded CPUs will be the norm and Titan X speed GPUs will be the norm. If that is so I would get all new parts. If not then do a small upgrade.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600 Motherboard: MSI B550 Tomahawk RAM: 32Gb DDR4  GPU(s): MSI 6800-XT Case: NZXT H440 Storage: 4x 250gb SSD + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM850x with CableMod Displays: 1 x Asus ROG Swift And 3 x 24" 1080p Cooling: H100i Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Sound: AKG 553 Operating System: Windows 10

Current PC: 

WIll you be getting Skylake E or wait for Cannonlake E as you have a 5960X now.

Probably Sky, then Cannonlake E.  Seriously Intel and their names...what's next Skyocean?  Super Rainbow Ocean Extreme

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

probably only upgrade to bigger ssd/ more ram and if a 4k high settings GPU Comes out in the $400 dollar range cause im Assuming my I5-4690k  will be good for many more years i just game here and there and mainly web browse i have a i7-2630qm that still feels as fast as my I5-4690k for 95% of my use only reason i dont use it is i cant obviously upgrade the GPU that is lacking  Dumb gaming laptop decisions.

Probably Sky, then Cannonlake E.  Seriously Intel and their names...what's next Skyocean?  Super Rainbow Ocean Extreme

There was a rumour about Icelake, I guess you will keep your PSU and RAM for a long time then

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Thanks, all good responses, just wondering what to do with my next upgrade, it would be in 2018

So that would be Cannonlake E and Volta, was just wondering as I would need to replace CPU, Motherboard, GPU, AIO and some SSDs, did not know if it would just be easier to buy all new components

There's no sense in even really thinking about it until you're ready to buy... because there's no way to tell what will be around in three years other than "something better."

It seems no one does a full system upgrade then after a certain amount of years

I did a completely new build earlier this year, down to the keyboard and mouse (kept the 360 controller though). To be fair my old PC was a socket 775 affair so there wasn't much I could have possibly carried over anyway. I will probably look at changing the GPU in another 12-18 months, then another completely new build 18 months or so after that, depending on bank balance and how much performance has moved on from my PC.

Upgrade graphics every 3 years or so.

New CPU/Moboabout every six years.

well 3 years ago i bought a crappy prebuilt pc, so last week i bought a new one from scratch, its probably going to be more than 3 years before i even begin upgrating parts, concidering i got something that used up 10% of my entire money

I think that I'm going to get an NH-D15 and upgrade to 32GB of DDR3 and get a better PSU. I think that I can ride along with the 4670k for a good amount of time, as long as games generally don't become incredibly CPU-bound in the next few years.

I'll probably upgrade my graphics card whenever I feel it's necessary and in a few years I'll probably want to get  a new display setup.

Sig under construction.

I don't see a reason of fully upgrading after just 3 years.. seems like a waste of the previous components.

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

Upgrade graphics every 3 years or so.

New CPU/Moboabout every six years.

I've upgraded my CPU every year, and they are always i7.. I blow way too much money.. I had 2 i7 CPUs sitting in my basement, just 1 now, but 2 motherboards still... I waste a shit ton of money...

Current PC: 

I upgrade every component at the same time.

Current System: Corsair Graphite 760T White/ Asus X99-S / Intel Core i7 5820K / Corsair H100i GTX / EVGA Titan X SuperClocked / HyperX Fury 4x8GB 2666mhz DDR4/ Corsair AX1500i / Intel 750 PCIe SSD 400gb / Samsung Evo 840 500gb / WD Green 4TB x2 / WD Green 3TB /  OCZ Agility 3 120gb

Going t turn it into a file server to store all the stuff I'm going to use in the future. Have over 1tb of data on my drive right now and my YouTube channel have yet to hit the ground 

System Spec: H87 mobo from Zotac, I3 4130, 4GB ddr3 1600mhz Cas 11, WD green 2TB all in side of a Cooler Mater Elite 120

I've upgraded my CPU every year, and they are always i7.. I blow way too much money.. I had 2 i7 CPUs sitting in my basement, just 1 now, but 2 motherboards still... I waste a shit ton of money...

Holy crap.

Of course, I have golf buddies who buy a new set of clubs almost every year.  Not me, I just 'upgraded' to a new set of (used) clubs, my last set were over 20 years old. 

Holy crap.

Of course, I have golf buddies who buy a new set of clubs almost every year.  Not me, I just 'upgraded' to a new set of (used) clubs, my last set were over 20 years old. 

I work at a golf course so I just steal them from the lost and found xD I get free balls too!

Current PC: 

Just a few components like the GPU and the entire network... i have a high end network.

I work at a golf course so I just steal them from the lost and found xD I get free balls too!

What do you do to the old components, do you sell them on Ebay

As soon as I get paid. I'll be changing the CPU. From. The i5 4690 to the Xeon 1231v3. Need it for my video editing. New case as well.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

What do you do to the old components, do you sell them on Ebay

I sold some on ebay , I have 2 z77 motherboards and an i7 3770 in my basement. 

Current PC: 

Upgrade each part as it is needed. I would switch motherboards & CPUs every 3 years